Van der Graaf - The Quiet Zone / The Pleasure Dome (1977) (1 Viewer)

Negative Lili

Sleeperbloke
Supporter
Contributor
Threads
Ok, one listen in and I doubt there will be any more.

I like it well enough but I'm just not that into prog like this - I like when a band goes off on one for a track or two on an album (a good example being 4ever 2Gether on ABC's Lexicon of Love) but for a whole album, hmmm. Its kind of like the proggiest Kate Bush bits I suppose. Is there a pop album by them I could listen to? Even Gentle Giant have this yoke.

It's cool that music like this was coming out on a pretty big label in 1977 though. We could do with a bit of that in 2018.

Shaney?

Supporter
Threads
This is as close to pop as they came really. Apparently they thought that their previous album (World Record) was going to be a hit in the dance clubs, but that was a delusional notion.

Is this one really prog though? It sounds kinda normal rock to me, but in my head it sits along side other vdgg albums like Pawn Hearts and Godbluff so I can't be sure.

Negative Lili

Sleeperbloke
Supporter
Contributor
Threads
I suppose it's not the dancing gnomes with disco gregorian chanting side of prog, no. Wiki calls their stuff "art rock" which is probably a bit more accurate.

I'd be curious on how to connect this kind of shape-shifting songwriting with someone I like, say Throwing Muses, who also have songs that go all over the shop but are never accused of being prog.

Last edited:

GO

Now Is Go
Supporter
Threads
Only seeing this now,I listened to this the other night!

Cracker. I love Peter Hamill

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create a thumped.com account. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... if we have any.

Upgrade now

Buy me a coffeeBuy me a coffee

Trending Threads

Latest threads