Backup drive listed as unallocated BIG TROUBLE PLEASE HELP (1 Viewer)

D0njo

Website
Visit site
So my brother was using my computer to reformat a hard drive and install xbox stuff,
I don't know how but it seems that a backup drive I have got mixed up in his shenanigans and it's been fiddled with.
This contains some stuff that's fairly important to me, mostly music files that I've been working on for the past three years,
it doesn't exist anywhere else because I just put it there recently so I could reinstall my os.... yeah, I know.

It's a Seagate 160g connected by USB, the jumper pins are set to Master.
In disk management it's listed as Disk 1 (the primary disk is 0), it is Unknown, Not Initialized and Unallocated.
Could it be a partition problem? Not sure how to test if everything is still there, I'd like to try that first....
Any help would be appreciated :)
As long as it doesn't make it worse. I'm a bit nervous here.

Did you try it with another computer?

I need to back my shit up today bigtime.
Thanks for the reminder Donjoni.

first of all, these guys are pros - http://www.criticaldata.ie/ - can be pricey but i think they still do free evaluations

If you want to go the DIY route, it does sound like it's a partition problem so you should be able to recover most if not all of your files. I've used ZAR, but there are plenty of alternatives.

Testdisk is another one worth a try - http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

Whatever you do, the important thing is that you don't write any more data to the drive. Don't be tempted to reformat it or anything like that. If you've another drive then take an image / clone of the dodgy drive before you do anything.

Forgot all about the mozy yoke I signed up for, now thanks to this thread I have an additional place where my project files are backed up.
Thats 5 places, two of which are online.

Too much?

nope

i've a shuttle PC under my desk running FreeNAS with a pair of mirrored 2TB drives in it for my local backups, plus mozy online and i still get a bit nervous.

ha, no

thousands of photos, camcorder stuff, my entire CD collection ripped to mp3 (really don't want to have to do that again), converted VHS tapes.. stuff like that.

forgot this earlier

isn't a backup drive if it's your only copy of the data

Hence my " .... yeah, I know.."
It was my backup drive, I should have put it all in another place while I reinstalled my OS.
A few friends have given me the definition of "backup" already and I have to say it's really very helpful :p

Well, thanks for the actual help anyway, things aren't looking too good though, I may have to seek professional help, for me and my drive.

Still trying a few things though, fingers, toes and mickey crossed.

What kinda stuff are you all worried about? Better off not getting too attached to stuff

Mostly music stuff- Reason files, audio recordings, loads of bits and pieces, arrangement ideas...
The most recent I've got somewhere else but there's old stuff that I'd like, although I could probably recreate a lot of it.

Yeah, I was getting very down about it last night, fuck it though IT'S NOT REAL ANYWAY IS IT?

Speaking of backups, but somewhat unrelated... so I apologize for the thread hijack.

Anyone know how to get access to the internal memory of a dead nokia n95?

The memory isn't removable and it contains 8gb of photo's n video's most of which are my kids first laugh, first steps etc...

Would love to be able to get at them

Mostly music stuff- Reason files, audio recordings, loads of bits and pieces, arrangement ideas...
The most recent I've got somewhere else but there's old stuff that I'd like, although I could probably recreate a lot of it.

Yeah, I was getting very down about it last night, fuck it though IT'S NOT REAL ANYWAY IS IT?

well my comment was more for other people reading this, but i know - nobody needs to hear it after the fact.

anyway for best results you're probably going to have to break the drive out of its (USB?) enclosure & connect it directly to your PC. try that ZAR software yet? there's a free evaluation version. If it looks like it'll do the job and you can get the drive to me i'll give it a go - i have a licensed copy.

well my comment was more for other people reading this, but i know - nobody needs to hear it after the fact.

anyway for best results you're probably going to have to break the drive out of its (USB?) enclosure & connect it directly to your PC. try that ZAR software yet? there's a free evaluation version. If it looks like it'll do the job and you can get the drive to me i'll give it a go - i have a licensed copy.

Well, everyone seems to have to learn the hard way :(

I have to wait for my brother to come over with another drive, I realised that he probably mixed two of them up, which is worse because I think the other one was formatted..... :(
I'm testing this one at the moment, yeah- I'll take it out of the USB and connect it to the IDE cable next.
Thanks for the offer! I'll let you know, and I'll be updating this thread throughout the day with each part of this woeful tale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back