ATP loozers (3 Viewers)

i missed nothing that i wanted to see. except for stuff that was scheduled at the same time, that is.

But that was part of the problem, 3 stages was too many. It was much better when you were able to pop up and down the stairs and catch snippets of sets, got to see a lot more interesting stuff, whereas if you know you're going to have to queue, you focus on the bands you know you're going to like.

It's like the Camden Crawl which goes on in various venues around Camden every year, you see a big list of great bands and think "yay, what a great line-up" but spend half your time queueing and watching the band who are on before the band you want to see, just to make sure you catch your top priorities.

They did do their bestest to make up for it, but it just wasn't the same. And I miss the kitsch little 50s chalets. :)

I pulled some fanboy shit with King Buzzo (swoon, your new record is awesome and so was your gig). I didn't tell him about my name on Thumped though. That'd be just embarassing.

I meant to say, I thought Bardo Pond were pretty boring and the Magik Markers were great. I thought the venue was astoundingly better (despite the queues).

I'm covered in bruises, my body is sore from rocking, my voice is gone and yet it was the least maaadoutovit ATP yet for me. I just had such a ball.

That was by far the greatest festival I have ever been to. Fucking deadly bands in it were: Wolf Eyes, Sonic Youth, Sunburned Hand, Hair Police, 16 Bitch Pile followed by Leslie Keffer was a fucking amazing combo too.. My ears are still ringinh from the weekend...

Good buzzes: Meeting loads of deadly new people (including people on here and people realted to others on here etc...), going to bed at 8:30am on sat morning, meeting EyE, having a HUGE stacks of tapes records and CD's to listen to now...

Bad buzzes: 12 hours travel yeaterday, rain, the fucking queues..

oh and another funny story involving my girlfriend and pain is when we were having a heated game of air hockey..
wheels comes over during a very important round and introduces his friend to us. just as thats done my girlfriend takes a wild shot and the PUCk flies off the table and twaps the poor guy on the bell-end.

hhahahahahahahahahh.
maaan i felt it myself.
my girlfriend is now not allowed to play air hockey.

It was my right testicle; being hit in the bell end doesn't force me to sit down until the nausea fades.

Funny shit mind you - First time i ever see air hockey puck leave the table, it goes and hits one o' the guys...

crazy jamie f hassling j mascis for skins and then begging everyone around him to play dance machine. what a crazy frog.

oh yeah, and another thing - seeing john brannon smile.

negative approach was one of the best gigs i've ever seen. loads more highlights ... nurse with wound, new blockaders, dead c, gustaffson/eye, corsano/flaherty/yeh, brotzman/bennik, wolf eyes, comets on fire, richard youngs, double leopards, blood stereo, aaron dilloway, stooges, mc5 (mark arm did an amazing job). loads more. don't think i saw a bad band the entire weekend. enjoyed sonic youth way more than i expected too. never thought i'd get to hear catholic block live. all the queueing shit worked out pretty well for me in the end ... wouldn't have gotten to see gang of four or dinosaur jr otherwise. and got to see the melvins twice, the sound being pretty shit where i was standing for the first set. were flipper that bad? missed em cos i'll see em saturday anyway but most reports i heard were pretty disappointing

chose hive mind (the last few minutes of which completely destroyed) over flipper but i caught one song - a really really awful version of sex bomb
will see them properly on saturday, but i don't have high hopes..none of this is very surprising though, is it? from what i heard, they didn't even play sacrifice...top 10 song of all time

none of this is very surprising though, is it?
yeah, dunno, i was kinda holding out hope. missed hive mind too but he was cool at subcurrent. d'you catch skaters actually andy? i missed em cos i'd seen em at subcurrent and went to notekillers instead. heard some deadly reports though. apparently they ruled much more than at subcurrent. notekillers were only alright too. not particularly bad or anything, just not anything amazing

think i forgot about skaters...cos i was at some of notekillers and had no interest in them at all
so i went and watched Venom on tv - which was pretty great

flipper but i caught one song - a really really awful version of sex bomb
will see them properly on saturday, but i don't have high hopes..none of this is very surprising though, is it? from what i heard, they didn't even play sacrifice...top 10 song of all time

Awh man are you serious? Cant believe they wouldnt play that song. Some shits gonna go down if they dont play Sacrafice!

Going to see them twice so they better be good!

hey just to clear up.....
went to a party in some chalet,hung for a while, did a crowdsurf, fell on table = 1 chipped tooth..........also fell in mud.

danke

You can check out some of my ATP photos here if you want:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/98625936@N00/

Here's a few tasters for you:

320874611_0ca7fa06dc.jpg

320871819_e61aef7bc7.jpg

320868944_a475f521f6.jpg

320851254_1cf63b6137.jpg

You gotta delete the ?v=0 bit after jpg:)

one line reviews of all the bands I saw:

Friday:
Ashtray Navigations (strange way to start the festival..)
Nurse With Wound (and so the moise began proper)
Hive Mind (fucking savage, as GORILLAMUNCH said previously the last 5 minutes were unreal..)
Deerhoof (crap. far too bass heavy)
Iggy & The Stooges (glad I decided to go in the end, mad laugh. rocking with the cock out indeed)
Sonic Youth (what else can be said? its the Youth. I'd have prefer a more jam style set but there were some good hits in there like Teenage Riot & Candle)
Dead C (what i saw was brilliant, the rest I was asleep for)

Saturday:
The New Blockaders And The Haters (far too much wankery, no beats tunes etc etc)
The Melvins (good fun, really enjoyed the two drummers sound)
Deerhoof (shite, again!)
Hair Police (not as good as W.E but excellent song/tune based noise, just the way I like it..)
Mats Gustaffason & EYE (Loved EYE's work, not so much Mats stuff)
Corsano/Flaherty/Yeh (Pretty good, first time seeing Corsano and loved it)
16 Bitch Pile Up (2nd best performance of the weekend, simply amazing)
Leslie Keffer (liked it but she didn't play very long, excellent stage performance)
MV/EE & The Bummer Road (alright, very AMT type stuff)
Comets On Fire (simply sublime.. didn't expect them to be so good)

Sunday:
Bark Haze (powerfully shit, people raving about them on the SY board simply cos of thurston)
Aaron Dilloway (wasn't expecting this at all.. very very good though)
The Skaters (again, way too short but excellent drone none the less)
My Cat Is An Alien (didn't get to see enough :()
Wolf Eyes (MICHIGAN!!!! Best band of the weekend for me by far... :))
Negative Approach (only saw them cos Jackie-O cancelled :( but they were "brutal" indeed)
Six Organs Of Admittance (didn't like them. i don't see what the fuss is about)
No-Neck Blues Band (Absolutely insane.. Drummer with a stella artois box over his head.. Naked asain woman singing.. Blindfolded guitarist.. Just insane)
MC5/DKT (Eh, ok.. They're way too over the hill)
Be Your Own Pet (they fuckin destroyed.. literally!)
Sunburned Hand Of The Man (excellent way to finish the weekend, 25 minute long jams etc etc.. )

Urgghhhhh.... still fucked. What a great weekend.

Highlights: Stooges, Dinosaur, MC5, Notekillers, SY...
Jaysus to be honest I can't remember much else. Didn't like the Melvins new bass player or the two drummers thing much, but when it was good they were awsome. Heard they were better the 2nd show. I liked the 2nd show thing, fiar fucks to the foundation for that. Missed too many bands to mention, but was bummed I missed Nurse With Wound and Deerhoof. Most of the moise just confused me. I was easily led off to the bar mind.

Non musical highlights: My silly string and bin fights with John, Bowling (6 gutter balls in a row!), the bigger and better venues and chalets + getting my own key card, Buzzo's life saving Chilli Con Carne, three in a bath slide show on the laptop at Sundays chalet party... just the fun.

I hope to feel normal again very soon.

Big love to all the people I revelled with. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back