(Ask nlgbbbblth) - My Weekly Bank Related Question (2 Viewers)

pete said:
my advice: get a credit union loan to clear the card balance

Thought about that, but they'll charge me 8% from early doors, and I'd prefer the 0% first, I did the sums and it should work out cheaper.

Its not that I'm skint and threading water, just Xmas and car insurance time so the ability to whack a wedge off it is limited right now. The €500 a month was a worst case scenario, I could probably make it €650 or €700 and get it all cleared in the six months.

therecklessone said:
I have a bank question:

Looking to clear a stubborn balance off my MBNA credit card (€4000), so I applied to Tesco for a card with their offer of 6 months interest free (on the basis that I'd pay off about €500 each month and only have a grand left when I start to pay interest.

They told me during the week they'd had trouble with the balance transfer (either I'd give them insufficent details, or it was cross country they said) but that I could sort it out when the card arrived.

Card arrived this morning and I find out what the problem was. They'd only give me a limit of €1500. So I rang up to enquire/complain and they told me that based on my mortgage and the credit limits (not how much I owe) on my other cards (I have an AIB one with nowt on it but a credit limit of €3500), I'm gonna get rid of it now) they wouldn't give me any more.

I told her that it was the balance transfer deal that I was interested in and that without it I didn't want the card.

Is it not stupid that they want to attract new business by offering balance transfers, but then use the fact that the other crowd are willing to let you spend spend spend to deny you the credit limit you need to clear the balance?????

Anyways, will I get this off everyone else if I try the same, and can I phone up and get an idea of how much they'll offer me before filling out paperwork? Ta.

This is frustrating for the customer and happens a few times.

The small print on the application form indicates that the credit limit the new card issuer offers you may be insufficient to clear the balance on your existing card.

Generally the application is credit scored based on the information supplied on the form so it is not possible for them to know in advance what limit their system is going to suggest.

One possible way around it is for the branch manager/whoever to attach a limit recommendation memo/letter to the application form before it is submitted to the credit card department for assessment. However this is usually only done for their own customers or people they know.

Cheers mate.

I've had a look at my AIB statement, they're quoting balance transfers at 0%, so I'll give them a call on Monday and try shift the bulk of the outstanding MBNA balance onto that for a while, might try wrangle a limit increase as well and get it all cleared..

Nlgbbbblth - I'm with your bank. I lost my atm card the other day. Fucking disaster.

I think I dropped it on the bus so have to wait to ring their lost property office on monday before reporting the card missing.

How long does it take to get a new card? Do they send it in the post or do I have to collect from the bank? And do I have to get another pin number mailed to me as well or can I stick to my old one?

spiritualtramp said:
Nlgbbbblth - I'm with your bank. I lost my atm card the other day. Fucking disaster.
I think I dropped it on the bus so have to wait to ring their lost property office on monday before reporting the card missing.

Presume it's a cash card / dual card not a service card (aka laser card) ?

spiritualtramp said:
How long does it take to get a new card?

They're manufactured in England. If a replacement is ordered Monday 13th you should have it by say Tuesday 21st.

spiritualtramp said:
Do they send it in the post or do I have to collect from the bank?

The card will be sent to your address. However if you specifically requested the previous card to be sent to your branch then the replacement card will automatically default to being sent to your branch - unless you tell them otherwise when reporting it lost.

spiritualtramp said:
And do I have to get another pin number mailed to me as well or can I stick to my old one?

In the case of lost / stolen card a new PIN will be issued. This is supposed to arrive a day or two before the replacement card. If you don't like the number you can change it back to the old one by going through a procedure on the ATM.

It's only when the card is naturally replaced (i.e. after it's two year life expires) that the existing PIN stays in use.

nlgbbbblth said:
Presume it's a cash card / dual card not a service card (aka laser card) ?
Just a dual card.

nlgbbbblth said:
They're manufactured in England. If a replacement is ordered Monday 13th you should have it by say Tuesday 21st.
Fab.

So if I turn up in person at the bank how much can I withdrawfrom my account in the one go?

nlgbbbblth said:
The card will be sent to your address. However if you specifically requested the previous card to be sent to your branch then the replacement card will automatically default to being sent to your branch - unless you tell them otherwise when reporting it lost.
Can't remember, think it was just posted to me the first time I got it. Doesn't really matter anyway, both options involve bus journeys for me anyway as I use my folks address for the bank.

nlgbbbblth said:
In the case of lost / stolen card a new PIN will be issued. This is supposed to arrive a day or two before the replacement card.
Sounds fine. I was wondering if the pin would arrive after but clearly this makes more sense.

nlgbbbblth said:
If you don't like the number you can change it back to the old one by going through a procedure on the ATM.
Can't change it in my head, no? ;)

spiritualtramp said:
So if I turn up in person at the bank how much can I withdraw from my account in the one go?

Bring photo identification with you and explain that your card has been lost. No hard and fast rules on amounts you can withdraw over the counter in one go. You should be ok up to €400 / €500 anyway.

spiritualtramp said:
Sounds fine. I was wondering if the pin would arrive after but clearly this makes more sense.

PIN should come beforehand [it does it most cases] but depending on the Royal Mail it can come afterwards too.

spiritualtramp said:
Can't change it in my head, no? ;)

:D

ngbhtth - if i was horribly burned in a fire (covered in bandages) and wanted to cash a few cheques, would the bank pull rank on me, like they do on cycle couriers and their helmets?

nlgbbbblth said:
you'd probably be ok.

Thats hardly right. He's still be horribly disfigured from the fire fuck sake. Show a little compassion.

Mondo, you'd be a freak if that happened. You could marry the Bearded Lady.

I'm purchasing a new car on Friday and need to get a bank draft for €2600.

How do I do this and what do I need ???

Cheers.

evil bandit said:
I'm purchasing a new car on Friday and need to get a bank draft for €2600.

How do I do this and what do I need ???

Cheers.

A draft is a cheque drawn on the bank as opposed to an individual. They are considered more reliable than cheques as they cannot bounce for lack of funds.

Most, if not all, of the banks will only issue a bank draft to an account holder of that bank. Also I imagine their preference will be to not issue a draft in exchange for cash - rather they will want to debit your account for it. So you'll probably need to have the money in the account first.

It's just a matter of calling into the bank and telling them you want a bank draft for €2,600 payable to Mr X / Garage name / whatever. It can't be made payable to cash. They will debit your account and charge you a commission (shouldn't be more than €2 or €3; flat fee). You'll need to carry identification with you [ideally passport / driving licence] - unless you are known personally to the staff.

I'd recommend you ring your bank/branch tomorrow to check out their requirements just to make sure you'll be ok.

nbnbhtthtnh -

prob43.gif

There exists a city surrounded by a circular wall. The wall has two gates, one on the north end and one on the south end. A yellow house exists 3 miles north of the north gate. A blue house exists 9 miles east of the south gate. The yellow and blue houses can barely see other around the side of the wall. What is the radius of the circle formed by the wall?

how come AIB charged me this 10 euro 'ATM fee' the other week?? without any notice either. i thought id a tenner left for a few cans and id not a cent in my account. statement comes and theres this fucking evil hidden charge.. pricks. can i do somethin? i know its only a tenner but god dammit that night was horrible and i needed a drunken imaginary hug from the macho guy on the dutch gold can. sad sobre night twas......AIB pricks

ernesto said:
how come AIB charged me this 10 euro 'ATM fee' the other week?? without any notice either. i thought id a tenner left for a few cans and id not a cent in my account. statement comes and theres this fucking evil hidden charge.. pricks. can i do somethin? i know its only a tenner but god dammit that night was horrible and i needed a drunken imaginary hug from the macho guy on the dutch gold can. sad sobre night twas......AIB pricks

Was it the government stamp duty on ATM cards ? [NOT a Bank charge. Blame Charlie Mick Reevy]

Question - How come in this modern day and age it still takes days for a cheque to clear?

I don't have a cheque to cash or anything, just I was discussing this with someone and they reckon the banks can make money from interest by holding onto your money for a few days. Is this true?

satement just says' ATM STAMP DUTY'

as if the cunts arent makin enough money from (if government) me tax credits or lack of... im being over-taxed by loads and neither my employers nor the useless Tax people will sort it for me.

(and if AIB)... my credit card that is constantly overdrawn.

i want to live on an island away from these absolute cunts

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back