(Ask nlgbbbblth) - My Weekly Bank Related Question (2 Viewers)

ernesto said:
satement just says' ATM STAMP DUTY'

as if the cunts arent makin enough money from (if government) me tax credits or lack of... im being over-taxed by loads and neither my employers nor the useless Tax people will sort it for me.

(and if AIB)... my credit card that is constantly overdrawn.

i want to live on an island away from these absolute cunts

It's a government charge.

spiritualtramp said:
Question - How come in this modern day and age it still takes days for a cheque to clear?

I don't have a cheque to cash or anything, just I was discussing this with someone and they reckon the banks can make money from interest by holding onto your money for a few days. Is this true?

It's complicated.

Lodging a cheque drawn on Bank A to your account in Bank A is pretty instant.

However when you lodge a cheque drawn on Bank B to your account in Bank A the following happens. Say it takes place on Monday (Day 1).

The cheque ends up in Bank A's clearing department Monday night. Reaches Bank B's clearing department Tuesday night (Day 2) and funds are exchanged between the two Banks. Banks should let you draw against the cheque on Wednesday (Day 3) seeing as they have already got value for it. The cheque is therefore 'cleared for value'.

However there's more.
Bank B have until close of business on Thursday (Day 4) to decide whether to pay or bounce the cheque. If they pay then the cheque is deemed 'cleared for fate'. THE END.

If they bounce, then the cheque is returned via the post to the bank where it was lodged - back to Bank A. In theory Bank A should get this back on Friday (Day 5) [sometimes this won't happen til the following Monday] and they will then debit your account and post the cheque out to you. It is then up to you to chase the drawer for payment. You can, re-lodge it and the cycle starts all over again.

In summary
99.5% of cheques don't bounce.
That's why some banks let you draw against them as soon as they get value for it. But if the cheque does eventually bounce they have the right to take the money back from you.

Not really related bu' my mams after saying to me there's a form you can get for tax relief if you've got a loan, is this true?

GORILLAMUNCH said:
ngbht: why is death wish not available (r2)?

There are region 2 versions available in France, Germany, Spain and Scandinavia.

According to www.dvdcompare.net all of them have English language tracks and are uncut.

It's still available on VHS though. And that took 15 years to re-appear - finally emerging in 1999 - after languishing in pre-cert video hell since 1984.

Should only be a matter of time before the DVD gets a UK release.

Dear Nigglepththththth,
New question for you.
Getting out of a taxi the other night the driver gave me my change all folded up nicely in a tenner. (fare was 7something and I gave him a 20)
Inside to my gaff I goes and looks at my change.
The coins were wrapped in a portion of a tenner.
The fucking PRICK.
anyways I goes to the bank today to see about changing the tenner.
All the bits are there, the line down the middle etc... but daniel (or whoever he is is missing)
The guy in the bank says you need at least 3 quaters of the note to use it.
I pretty much do. But he refused saying the note is useless.
Is this kinda thing at the descression of the cashier?
I find with most bank transactions flucuate between what you can and cant do, depending who is cashier that day, and what mood they are in.
My tenner aint useless is it?

love
Ian

Howdy Ian.

Are both serial numbers on the portion? If not, someone could have already tried to claim the other half.

The rule is 75% or 66% of the note, can't remember which.

What they can do is take the note off you, give you a receipt and send it to the Central Bank. If there's no claim on the other half of the note, then the Central Bank will give you value for it. That can be a slow process - take a few weeks.

You're right about the fickleness though....

thanks dude...
I'll do that... Dont mind waiting out of the principal of the thing.
The bit of note is just sitting there anyway.

Ah the niggle, not all bankers are wankers

Here Nglbityy, question for you:

Why are Bank of Scotland a shower of cunts?

Came up with a great idea to save myself 2k in interest payments and free up nearly 5k in credit union shares by applying to BoS for a loan to clear my exisiting credit union loan and pay off the last few quid on my credit cards.

Cnuts refused me the loan, despite the fact that my repayments to them would have been €85 a month less than I'm currently paying the bloody CU.

Is this a BoS thing (I do know they are stricter with mortgage guidlines), or are all banks gonna tell me I'm a credit risk?

Don't really want to list wages and shit, but my only outgoings atm are my mortgage (37% of my monthly take home pay), my SSIA (7%) and household bills, bearing in mind my plan to clear all the other loans/credit leaving me with one loan repayment of 16% of my monthly take home pay.

Total outlay would be 60% of take home pay + bills. Is this too much?

Where the fuck am I going wrong?

therecklessone said:
Here Nglbityy, question for you:

Why are Bank of Scotland a shower of cunts?

Came up with a great idea to save myself 2k in interest payments and free up nearly 5k in credit union shares by applying to BoS for a loan to clear my exisiting credit union loan and pay off the last few quid on my credit cards.

Cnuts refused me the loan, despite the fact that my repayments to them would have been €85 a month less than I'm currently paying the bloody CU.

Is this a BoS thing (I do know they are stricter with mortgage guidlines), or are all banks gonna tell me I'm a credit risk?

Don't really want to list wages and shit, but my only outgoings atm are my mortgage (37% of my monthly take home pay), my SSIA (7%) and household bills, bearing in mind my plan to clear all the other loans/credit leaving me with one loan repayment of 16% of my monthly take home pay.

Total outlay would be 60% of take home pay + bills. Is this too much?

Where the fuck am I going wrong?

Not sure how Bank of Scotland operate:

They came into Ireland with the intention of 'shaking up the market'. They have opened branches in many former ESB shops. Certainly for business lending they are willing to throw a lot more money at riskier deals. They seem to be more choosy when it comes to mortgages.

What reason did they give for the decline?
Most of the personal stuff is credit-scored nowadays although they can override the decision.

Have you anything negative on the ICB? i.e. missed credit card, loan or mortgage payment?

The mortage repayment criteria is now:

Mortgage repayment + other commitments [i.e. loans] should not exceed 40% - 45% of your monthly net income. Household bills don't count.

Unless they were applying that logic to it - although if you would be paying less than what you're currently shelling out then their stance is unreasonable.

Also the fact that you own a house should have helped.

I would try elsewhere if I were you.

Not sure if that's any good to you.

nlgbbbblth said:
What reason did they give for the decline?
None at all, "our underwriting process is confiedental so we can't tell you" :confused:

Have you anything negative on the ICB? i.e. missed credit card, loan or mortgage payment?
Not that I recall, the odd late mobile bill payment, a few weeks at most and under €100.

[edit]Actually, I know for a fact I have never missed a loan or credit card payment[/edit]

I would try elsewhere if I were you.

Not sure if that's any good to you.
Is it a good idea to leave it a few weeks, try and get a few more quid cleared off the credit cards (reckon I can shift 1500 of 2700 in next month, and I'll have another 500 off the CU loan)? Am I right in thinking the BoS refusal will show on my credit record now?

I reckon AIB will play ball, but they're not offering a fixed rate now, while BoS, BoI and Ulster Bank all are (Ulster Bank @ 6.8% would be very nice)

Thanks for al the help.

pete said:
credit union don't rat you out to the credit rating people

I know, but my reason for trying to borrow 25k is to consolidate the CU loan, to save on interest, rather tell them that than "I want to buy stuff".

Looks more responsible?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back