(Ask nlgbbbblth) - My Weekly Bank Related Question (2 Viewers)

Hey nlgbbbblth,

Do banks readily give loans to artists or should i just lie and say its for my investment portfolio?

yours sincierley,
Mr. HitsLoikeAGirl.

HitsLikeAGirl said:
Hey nlgbbbblth,

Do banks readily give loans to artists or should i just lie and say its for my investment portfolio?

yours sincierley,
Mr. HitsLoikeAGirl.

Depends on the size of yer income. If it's enough to cover repayments then the fact that it's irregular shouldn't be relevant.

Some bankers have a negative and dismissive view towards artists which I always found irritating.

i've an AIB account and credit card and it's like
card -> account = instantaneous
account -> card = 24 hours.
haw haw haw.

nlgbbbblth said:
Depends on the size of yer income. If it's enough to cover repayments then the fact that it's irregular shouldn't be relevant.

Some bankers have a negative and dismissive view towards artists which I always found irritating.

Investment portfolio it is then.

nlgbbbblth said:

Investment portfolio is it then.

hanley said:
My sis got a mysterious deposit of 100 and a bit euros into her account the other day.Whats the story with spending this and not paying it back??
Thanks

She's not entitled it to it.
If she spends it knowing full well that it's not her money then she is benefiting from someone else's mistake and is obliged to pay it back once the bank or the other party realises the cock-up.

Obviously there is nothing to stop her spending the money and given the amount concerned it may be difficult for the bank to force her to repay it.

However such a lack of co-operation may be remembered by the bank the next time she goes looking for something from them.

hanley said:
cheers, do ya reackon much of these things go un-noticed?
i know a few people who this happened to and they were never contacted about it.

Well if someone lodges money to a third party's account and it never gets there then one or other of them is bound to notice, contact the bank, and ask for the transaction to be traced.

If it's an electronic payment from a large organisation who've got the account details messed-up then it may go unnoticed for a long time, possibly never be missed.

If something comes in with one digit wrong then the bank usually tries to match it up to the right person (generally the transaction narrative will have a beneficiary name). If they can't it just gets sent back to the sender.

Two things for Nlgbbbblth.

1. A friend of mine went off aroud Eastern Europe a few years ago. She is thinking about moving back to Dublin but is worried about her bank status, err...the banks name I cannot remember though. She had a standing order that she forgot to cancel, got charged loads of penalties for it and eventually the account was closed with her owing the bank about £200. They never demanded the money after the account was closed so I suppose they just wrote it off as a bad debt. She was wondering if she will have any trouble opening a new bank account (with a different bank this time I imagine) and will the non-payment of the standing order and subsequent debt reflect badly on her financial record if she wants to apply for a loan or anything?

2. I was in Donnybrook Fair and noticed they now sell a brand of balsamic vinegar infused with cherries. Given your love of cherries I thought you should be informed of this.

spiritualtramp said:
1. A friend of mine went off aroud Eastern Europe a few years ago. She is thinking about moving back to Dublin but is worried about her bank status, err...the banks name I cannot remember though. She had a standing order that she forgot to cancel, got charged loads of penalties for it and eventually the account was closed with her owing the bank about £200. They never demanded the money after the account was closed so I suppose they just wrote it off as a bad debt. She was wondering if she will have any trouble opening a new bank account (with a different bank this time I imagine) and will the non-payment of the standing order and subsequent debt reflect badly on her financial record if she wants to apply for a loan or anything?

Hard to give a definite answer.

It depends what the standing order was for:
If it was for a loan/mortgage/credit card/hire purchase repayment [i.e a default of a credit agreement/Consumer Credit Act borrowing] then it will be reflected on her credit record with the Bureau.

Something like a standing order to Concern / St John of Gods etc isn't usually recorded.

The actual writing-off the bad debt is unlikely to be recorded unless it was a breach of an authorised borrowing regulated by the Consumer Credit Act. What you are describing sounds more like an unauthorised overdraft caused by unpaid fees and interest.

One way of checking is to get her to contact the Irish Credit Bureau and request a copy of her credit record.

Click for some general information a downloadable application form

spiritualtramp said:
2. I was in Donnybrook Fair and noticed they now sell a brand of balsamic vinegar infused with cherries. Given your love of cherries I thought you should be informed of this.

Sounds amazing. Donnybrook Fair is a pretty cool shop nowadays. A lot different to when I lived around the corner from it in my college days.
I love balsamic vinegar but the addition of cherries can only make it even better. Must check it out next time I'm in Dublin. Thanks.|..| .|..|

nlgbbbblth said:
Hard to give a definite answer.
Something like a standing order to Concern / St John of Gods etc isn't usually recorded.

It was one of them things. Will advise her it isn't the same thing as defaulting a loan repayment.

nlgbbbblth said:
I love balsamic vinegar but the addition of cherries can only make it even better. Must check it out next time I'm in Dublin.
I think the bottles, which are small enough mind, were about 8.80 each. They have other flavours as well such as fig and a couple of others that I can't remember. The cherry one looks the most interesting.

How long does it normally take for money refunded on a credit card to actually show up? Supposedly i was refunded e450 by Aerlingus wednesday week, but it's not shown up on my BOI credit card yet. Would have thought it would only take a few banking days?

ReadySteadyJedi said:
How long does it normally take for money refunded on a credit card to actually show up? Supposedly i was refunded e450 by Aerlingus wednesday week, but it's not shown up on my BOI credit card yet. Would have thought it would only take a few banking days?

Would have thought it would show up within 4 working days.
Ring BOI and see if they have any credits pending that might not have appeared on your statement yet.

dear nlgyxbkfciuohjvasbblth,

which is the easiest way to rob a bank?
wouldn't mind having a few more coppers to flaunt around town with upon my return.
any suggestions?

truly madly deeply,
your lala.

Why was my Ulster Bank Henry Hippo Super Savers Account Club Membership Pack a slight disappointment?

henri_hippo_savings_box.jpg

I have a bank question:

Looking to clear a stubborn balance off my MBNA credit card (€4000), so I applied to Tesco for a card with their offer of 6 months interest free (on the basis that I'd pay off about €500 each month and only have a grand left when I start to pay interest.

They told me during the week they'd had trouble with the balance transfer (either I'd give them insufficent details, or it was cross country they said) but that I could sort it out when the card arrived.

Card arrived this morning and I find out what the problem was. They'd only give me a limit of €1500. So I rang up to enquire/complain and they told me that based on my mortgage and the credit limits (not how much I owe) on my other cards (I have an AIB one with nowt on it but a credit limit of €3500), I'm gonna get rid of it now) they wouldn't give me any more.

I told her that it was the balance transfer deal that I was interested in and that without it I didn't want the card.

Is it not stupid that they want to attract new business by offering balance transfers, but then use the fact that the other crowd are willing to let you spend spend spend to deny you the credit limit you need to clear the balance?????

Anyways, will I get this off everyone else if I try the same, and can I phone up and get an idea of how much they'll offer me before filling out paperwork? Ta.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back