(Ask nlgbbbblth) - My Weekly Bank Related Question (1 Viewer)

Re: My Weekly Bank Related Question

why does it take five days for a cheque to lodge into my account (BOI cheque, AIB a/c) yet it appears on my internet banking thingy immediately? Also, why do I get charged E2.54 for them to send me an old credit card statement?

Also, why I am getting myself into so much debt?

ReadySteadyJedi said:
Holiday loans - easier to get than normal ones? And would they care that the monthly wage packet generally disappears in about 2.5 weeks?

Loans are pretty easy to get provided you have proof of income and you don't have a history of missing repayments. Doesn't a holiday loan just come under "Personal loan"? They don't really care what you want the money for anyway these days. I think most people would consider themselves lucky if their wages lasted longer than a fortnight, so the bank won't hold that against you, it's perfectly normal.

coast to coast said:
why does it take five days for a cheque to lodge into my account (BOI cheque, AIB a/c) yet it appears on my internet banking thingy immediately?

Cos maybe they have to wait for the cheque to clear.

coast to coast said:
Also, why do I get charged E2.54 for them to send me an old credit card statement?

As Nggllbth (sp?) mentioned before, old records are kept on microfiche. It is time consuming looking it up.

coast to coast said:

Learn to budget.

I want to set up a 'no fees' bank account with Permanent TSB. I need to bring a bank statement from the past three months. i.e. three of them. Why?

:confused:

Also, :mad:

I want to "borrow" some money from my local bank, but don't have a great svaings record. Or a gun.

If I walk up to the cashier with my finger pointed at her in my cardigan pocket, will she believe me and fill my bag marked "SWAG" from the safe?

Cheers.

p.s. I won't rat you out for being an accessory if I'm caught. Promise. Rats out!

coast to coast said:
why does it take five days for a cheque to lodge into my account (BOI cheque, AIB a/c) yet it appears on my internet banking thingy immediately? Also, why do I get charged E2.54 for them to send me an old credit card statement?

I got docked rep for this post!

helena said:
I want to set up a 'no fees' bank account with Permanent TSB. I need to bring a bank statement from the past three months. i.e. three of them. Why?

:confused:

Also, :mad:

This is standard practice for people who are moving accounts from one bank to another.
They want to see if your previous bank account was conducted in a satisfactory manner. Three months statements will give them a decent picture of income/outgoings. What they are looking for is to see if the person has had any items returned unpaid - i.e. their previous bank having to bounce cheques, direct debits, standing orders because the customer hasn't bothered to lodge enough money to cover them.

There's nothing in it for them only hassle to take on a customer who runs a bad account.

For people opening their first account the above doesn't apply.

helena said:
So I can avoid this pain in the tits by lying and saying it is my first bank account? !bing

:eek:
You could - if you can convince them you've lived for 25 years without ever having a bank account.

Re free fees: I don't work for them but I believe National Irish Bank have 'no fees if in credit, no minimum balance required' on their current account.

here

can irish banks cash US checks made out in dollars, if they are issued from the US treasury?

US gov is paying me for something (...) and i need to figure out how to get the money, they want to send me a $$ cheque

dudley said:
here

can irish banks cash US checks made out in dollars, if they are issued from the US treasury?

US gov is paying me for something (...) and i need to figure out how to get the money, they want to send me a $$ cheque
the US gov is paying you to be in a rock band?

dudley said:
here

Yeah they can, but it takes ages to clear.

dudley said:
here

Two things can happen

a) Bank will insist on sending the cheque for collection. This essentially involves the bank posting your cheque to the US bank and requesting i) a bank draft back in the post or ii) notification that the cheque is bad and won't be honoured. Either way you wait 3 or 4 weeks for your money.

b) Bank will give you the benefit of the doubt, remit the cheque in the normal manner and give you the money straightaway on the proviso that if the cheque bounces they'll debit your account.

option b) usually occurs when
i) the cheque is of low value,
ii) the customer does this sort of thing regularly and there haven't been any problems
iii) You have sufficient monies in your account to cover the cheque

It would probably be easier to give the dudes your bank details and ask them to make an electronic payment into your account.

nlgbbbblth said:
Re free fees: I don't work for them but I believe National Irish Bank have 'no fees if in credit, no minimum balance required' on their current account.

banks=cunts
went to set uop that a/c in NIB after defecting from BOI - silly bitch there grilled me about income etc (i got none cept social) and then rings me - "we put yr details into the cimputer and you've been rejected for a freesave a/c". rejected by a machine. what a stupid spineless jobsworth cow. I'm always in credit.....fuckers....

what about TSB?

giveadogabone said:
banks=cunts
went to set uop that a/c in NIB after defecting from BOI - silly bitch there grilled me about income etc (i got none cept social) and then rings me - "we put yr details into the cimputer and you've been rejected for a freesave a/c". rejected by a machine. what a stupid spineless jobsworth cow. I'm always in credit.....fuckers....

what about TSB?

All banks use creditscoring as a means of assessing someone's suitability for opening a current account. Income, length of time at address, outgoings - all this stuff counts.

I'm not in favour of it [It works for some things but not others. Total automation over human assessment is just wrong] but if that's the procedure there, then nobody is going to risk their job by taking it upon themselves to override the decision just so they can please/avoid offending the customer.

nlgbbbblth said:
All banks use creditscoring as a means of assessing someone's suitability for opening a current account. Income, length of time at address, outgoings - all this stuff counts.

I'm not in favour of it [It works for some things but not others. Total automation over human assessment is just wrong] but if that's the procedure there, then nobody is going to risk their job by taking it upon themselves to override the decision just so they can please/avoid offending the customer.

thats a given but my credit history is spotless so i don't know why i was declined:eek: :mad: :(

How did a previous poster get on with the TSB free thing???

giveadogabone said:
"we put yr details into the cimputer and you've been rejected for a freesave a/c".
little-britain-2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back