art me arse! (1 Viewer)

ill burn your biscuits for saying that!

Leave it out! :)

I can also imagine photos being taken by so many people at that exhibition with awful accents, either philosophising it or commenting on the cruelty and horro of it all, etc. etc. It's just the not taking action over it that gets me. There's far too much reverance for "art" simply because it's in a room with white walls.

Where's Pierre Pinoncelli when you need him?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre_Pinoncelli

The artistic essence is in the act of burning the metaphysical and matriarchical notion that my trousers be freed of skid marks and not the physical ball sweat soaked boxers.

He invented thosemidget chickens didn't he?

I hear he was playing cards and didn't have time to eat a normal sized egg so ..

My longest post ever on thumped (I hope)

Don't know the full facts about this, but nobody else seems to either, so may as well wade in. Stick with me on this one, it does come to a sort of point:

This 'action' being arse or what does not mean it cannot be art also. Not all art, or creativity, is naturally good or life-affirming or whatever. Some of it is cruel, horrible, dark, etc... anyone on a punk board knows this intuitively I suppose...
"fine" art is no different then music or movies in this respect.

So if, for the sake of argument, we say this can be both a shitty, cruel thing and art...what about on-the-spot or aftermath reactions?

Well...thinking about this reminded me of two art-world things:
1 - a big artist, whose name I can't remember had an outdoor temporary sculpture at an art event in Germany called Dokumenta a few years back. It was a caravan parked in from of the main venue. I'm sure there was more to it but thats not the point now. Anyway, two Glaswegian artists were invited to do a public art 'intervention' at the event, so...playing upon the image of the hometown, they rented a car, hitched up to the caravan one night, and drove off with the other artists artwork, nicking it and dumping it in a field somewhere.

2 - there is a temporary sculpture park set up in some open waste ground here in Berlin. The land was once part of nomans land beside the wall, so this weekend an artist did a sculpture with lots of fences and various supports you could use to climb over them..rope-ladders, old barrels, chairs etc. Anyway when I was there these local kids came in and were playing around on it a bit chaotically and broke some stuff in the sculpture. My first reaction was to stop them... then I thought hell... you put a bit of artwork for climbing on in open waste ground, kids love to explore open waste ground, so you accept the concequences. Too late to get precious about it now.

Back to the point!...
Maybe the artist did this thing with the dog to highlight how it goes on everywhere without people paying attention... but I'm sure he did it in the full knowledge that it was controversial, the galleries organisers/audience bought into it for the 'fisson' (gotta love that word!) element so missing in their comfortable lives (similar ...in a way... to motives of kids from comfortable backgrounds seek out something missing in their lives by unquestioningly getting into some of the squat or Black Bloc cartoon-anarchism you see around). If nobody in the audience intervened it might be because they have too precious of an opinion about art.

Well, fuck that I say.

Ok. Fair enough it he wants to make a point (and make a career..) by recreating an example of animal cruelty... maybe you can argue for its validity as a statement, maybe not.
Point is, I think though, that if you are going to utilise a contentious image of society in your art... here people abusing dogs ...by you 'performing' the same thing on a specific dog... then you have to bring it the whole way... You have to also accept that a person may want to 'intervene' on your face with their fist, or serve you with a cruelty fine/court appearance or whatever.... just as should happen to a person who did it out in the general public.

You can't do something about society, then safely step out of the social frame into some imaginary art frame where rules don't apply. Fuck that!...take the wheat with the chaff if you have any strength in your convictions.

Token Punk metaphor: If a singer renowned for violent performances hit your friend/girlfriend/boyfriend intentionally in the face during a gig... you might think fair enough thats part of their act, but you'd also have the right to clobber them back... they can't hide behind the veil of it being a 'performance'.

Also: The artist you mentioned on the other thread Frona who does stuff exploiting immigrant labours, prostitutes, etc., is called Santiago Sierra. As one my lecturers once said: "A lot of people in the art world think he's great, I think he should be in jail."

So the conclusion of my lenghty art thesis:
If the "starving dog" piece is art, and one that deals with a 'hot social topic', then according to me it should be brought to its 'social' conclusion in order to be a successful artpiece.

So help the artist out will you to make this a true work of art!.. Someone do to him just what you'd do to anyone else you saw abusing or wilfully neglecting an animal. Land one between his eyes, or serve him with a court order.

Or are you's not cultured?

(the most eloquent argument for a punch in the face ever, I hope you'll agree...)

A full page and a half of posts happened in the time it took me to write that monster post !!

Leave it out! :)

I can also imagine photos being taken by so many people at that exhibition with awful accents,

What, South Americans you mean? Well..they do speak a bastardised kind of spanish alright.

Where's Pierre Pinoncelli when you need him?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre_Pinoncelli

Good man in my book... that wasn't even the original 'Fountain' anyway. The original doesn't exist, there are about ten facsimile versions flying around the world though.

FishBlender.jpg

The original doesn't exist, there are about ten facsimile versions flying around the world though.

I know, haha, that's what I love about the action. Beautiful! That one at Dokumenta too, fucking great!!!

Good to see you're enjoying Berlin.

You can't do something about society, then safely step out of the social frame into some imaginary art frame where rules don't apply. Fuck that!...take the wheat with the chaff if you have any strength in your convictions.

The crux of the matter for me and the the problem of the seperation/seperating out of "art", "artists" and "culture".

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back