anyone here rock as a job? (1 Viewer)

Even if you did make money as a musician it's not right. Music is art, not a good.

can't say i agree. guitars, amps, drums. posters, petrol, record pressings, none of things are free. how are bands (cause we're talking about bands here) supposed to pay for this?

can't say i agree. guitars, amps, drums. posters, petrol, record pressings, none of things are free. how are bands (cause we're talking about bands here) supposed to pay for this?

well i guess it's more about the idea of profit then. like, covering all those things would be breaking even essentially, which is vastly different to rockin' for a living.

Yeah, take a hike hippy boy

_40127544_students_203152.gif

I don't see where they lack in integrity. Some of them wear suits and everything

Depends on whether it's any good.

I didn't say it was the sole reason but some of my favourite songs, some of my favourite/most inspiring etc. 'art' was made purely cos the person was paid to do it.

i didn't say they lacked in integrity necessarily. i said the argument is in my opinion more about artistic integrity than the quality of output.
what integrity is there in making music for the sole reason of earning money though anyway?

Gorilla, your 19, I'll guarantee that opinion will change after 10 years in a job you don't particularly like.

Getting handy drugs and pulling birds is the reason most men rock-FACT.Worrying about making a living from it would surely take the fun out of it.Sure you might as well have a regular job if thats the case.

Gorilla, your 19, I'll guarantee that opinion will change after 10 years in a job you don't particularly like.

jaysus, easy on the condescension there.
that's a pretty weak point anyway. i don't really see how 10 years in a job i don't like would make a belief like that change. sure, it could make me write music for money, but i don't see why i'd necessarily have to have a change of opinion to do so. i don't see why i'd think it's suddenly ok to do that just because i'm sick of a job, like.

i think once you have to start worrying about your artistic output getting you by, your art in turn naturally suffers. like, surely the most original and natural art couldn't be created with a motive like that there, whether conscious or sub-conscious, no?

it's a pretty interesting topic to debate and something i still get a bit confused over, so this is deadly :)

Depends on whether it's any good.

I didn't say it was the sole reason but some of my favourite songs, some of my favourite/most inspiring etc. 'art' was made purely cos the person was paid to do it.

well the point i'm making is it doesn't depend on whether it's "any good". who decides what's good?

you said "some of the best music was made for money", and didn't identify any other reason, so i can only presume you meant it as being the sole reason. and anyway, the idea of "the best music" is just a bit mad anyway, innit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back