anyone got a fiddle? (2 Viewers)

Gong Farmer said:
You will learn.
You will learn, mister. Or else I'll hit you with Steven Pinker and Alan Sokal books.

Showdown on Thursday at nine in the Boxes practice room, everyone.

Super Dexta said:
You will learn, mister. Or else I'll hit you with Steven Pinker and Alan Sokal books.

Showdown on Thursday at nine in the Boxes practice room, everyone.

Ah! Steve Pinker - he's like the Ugg boots of academia.

mc moley said:
i didnt mean the whole parental thing as much of an insult at all cormy.
and i didnt play the p.c. police card....i mentioned in my big post previously that it wasn't in reference to this issue but things in general.....i spent half of my time on this thing explaining my self to other people, justifying actions, when in reality i've dont nothing wrong.

I didn't take it as an insult either. Just as a symptom of how issues like this are viewed and reacted to when someone brings them up...as an issue of political correctness and one-up-manship. Nobody forced you to justify your actions, you took that choice yourself, when in reality there was no need to justify it, merely to accept that it's something that makes others uncomfortable and probably everyone would be better off if they didn't have to hear or think about the word rape so often. Once again, it's not an issue of right and wrong.

i obviously cant argue the use of the word rape...i dont intend to. its not a word i particularly like either....nor is it a word i use much at all. but the fact that i mentioned it in the fashion in which i did and got this much fuss over it is a bit silly.

You just totally contadicted yourself. Arguing about the use of the word rape is exactly what you've been doing...the only reason that you got "this much fuss" over it is because you didn't just say "wait a minute, actually I can see why and how this might make people uncomfortable, maybe I'll just admit that I shouldn't have used the word in that manner and that's the end of it". Instead you've just tried to justify it...and then go on to deny justifying it!?

i can appreciate if you dont like the word to the extent that you said you did. and if it did offend you im sorry but i dont actually see why your mad at me

I'm not mad at you or offended, I'm just more frustrated at this kind of situation in general and how this is symptomatic of how issues like this are approached in Ireland -"fuck you, I can say whatever I like, I'm not saying sorry and if you've got a problem with that it's YOUR problem, not mine".

I probably wouldn't be pushing this so much, only I've been writing and thinking a lot about these issues the last few weeks for the next issue about my zine, which is about gender issues, sexual assault, rape and so on, and also just been transcribing an interview with a group of women punx in Ireland in which the exact issues in this thread were being discussed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back