anyone got a fiddle? (3 Viewers)

nooly said:
if someone is making racist jokes that's different for obvious reasons? because 'everyone knows' that racism = bad but violence against women is only a 'little minor thing', it's only uppity overly PC women who'd get offended anyway. nothing a good hard ride wouldn't sort out. blah

Yup, a good hard ride can cure all the world's ills. Someone should give Bush a good hard ride.

MacWarzonescum said:
It is entirely possible to play melodies with either of these styles of playing (called 'Scruggs' style and 'Clawhammer' respectively)

Your use of the word Clawhammer greatly offends me, and I now consider myself more PC than you.

mcmoley said:
nobody forces you to turn into a millitant vegan straightedge person obviously

I'll soon change that, I'm joining forces with these guys:

splash.jpg

(On a serious note, that is actually a really fuckin amazing poster!)

Super Dexta said:
TAKE YOUR SAUSSUREAN BULLSHIT OUT OF MY SIGHT, YOU HERETIC!!! PHILOSPHERS OUT OF LINGUISTICS!!!!!!

LOL. I wouldn't worry, I find linguistics the hardest to understand, have to start quoting Lacan,Strauss, Derrida et al. at you when I see you next. :D :p !ninjaaaa !baggyyyy

if someone is making racist jokes that's different for obvious reasons? because 'everyone knows' that racism = bad but violence against women is only a 'little minor thing', it's only uppity overly PC women who'd get offended anyway. nothing a good hard ride wouldn't sort out. blah
because rape only applies to women.....

mc moley said:
so then why not give out to people when they say i'll 'kill' ya or ill 'murder' ya or i wish you were dead etc.....to be honest i was suprised ya went so parental on me earlier. it clearly wasnt in any sort of context other than total messin. how is it grand to say some things an not others?

As I already mentioned, I replied at lenght to this last night but the computer ate it.

First of all, well when people are dead, they're dead -it's over, and when people are raped it usually tends to affect them for the rest of their lives. Secondly, death is a fact that everyone has no choice but to accept, whilst rape is a malicious violent action carried out on one person by another. But all that isn't the point.

It's really frustrating and disapointing that you react to this by saying that I "went so parental on" you by bringing up something which makes me uncomfortable and which I know makes others uncomfortable, but who might not have the confidence to bring up. I think it's a totally irresponsible and cowardly way out of something, playing the old "PC police" card.

It's got nothing to do with PC-ness, or "going parental", or "calling people on stuff". It's a matter of basic regard (or disregard) for other people. I don't give much of a fuck about political correctness. I may feel uncomfortable hearing or using words like bitch, cunt, whore, slut or whatever, but I don't care that much about other people using them, and in fact think that to make a big deal out of it when someone uses the word bitch or cunt or something just gives more power to those words, and the user of them. But these are commonly used words against women by men who feel threatened by them, unlike the word rape, which isn't generally used as an insult (and is one of the only things that disgusts me so much it would probably compel me to use violence if it was, e.g. "shut up or I'll rape you"). But that's not what I'm talking about with you using the word rape in the way you did. I fuckin HATE the word, it's something I want to think of as least as possible, and I don't see why someone would want to make it a part of their everyday language.

I'm just in disbelief about how you can think about the concept of rape, what it means, what it IS, and feel unconcerned about using it in a joking way to say it's what you'll do to someone to take something from them, or in any other casual way (idiots talking about sports games or business acquisitions or whatever). Christ, I can't quite express what I want to say about this.

This has nothing to do with PC or people playing punk-points games. I don't give a fuck what you do.

And I don't even know where to begin with the "because rape only applies to women....." comment.

Yes...that's what I meant...I thought it was a totally reactionary and immature comment. It's like saying "oh, well oppression doesn't only apply to Palestinean people" because someone called you a wanker on the street, in the middle of a discussion about Palestine. How often do you worry about getting raped or even have to think about it when you're going out or getting drunk or whatever, Andy?

he has a point, rape is not a massive issue for guys unless you're in prison or some catholic institution, which we're not.

Corm said:
It's really frustrating and disapointing that you react to this by saying that I "went so parental on" you by bringing up something which makes me uncomfortable and which I know makes others uncomfortable, but who might not have the confidence to bring up. I think it's a totally irresponsible and cowardly way out of something, playing the old "PC police" card.

i didnt mean the whole parental thing as much of an insult at all cormy.
and i didnt play the p.c. police card....i mentioned in my big post previously that it wasn't in reference to this issue but things in general.....i spent half of my time on this thing explaining my self to other people, justifying actions, when in reality i've dont nothing wrong.

i obviously cant argue the use of the word rape...i dont intend to. its not a word i particularly like either....nor is it a word i use much at all. but the fact that i mentioned it in the fashion in which i did and got this much fuss over it is a bit silly.
i can appreciate if you dont like the word to the extent that you said you did. and if it did offend you im sorry but i dont actually see why your mad at me

mac warzonescum said:
Were you bullied by a post-Structuralist as a child or something?
*schnif* I don't want to talk about it. Them and the postmodernists... god, it was awful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back