anyone got a fiddle? (1 Viewer)

if you were from dublin I could get you a fiddle on loan and lessons, my parents are well into their irish music community and organising shit.

Really? I got a fiddle just recently which I've been learning. I'm getting a banjo too, just as soon as me & Ian move into our trailerpark. Anyway, ask Nooly, there's an old damaged one in my mum's house in Dublin, but I think it might cost as much to fix as to get a new one?

sarah estel's sister fiona got one there last year from this guy who has fiddles and he even gave her a good deal on getting it fixed up. you could ask her about it.
how was india?

wow thanks for all the help lads and lassies!
cormy you lucky fucker im gonna rape you for that banjo when you come back! erin has a savage old banjo and i want one big time.
as for the fiddle i checked ebay and can get one from the states for around $40. i can get it sent to my cousins and he'll post it over so i think thats what im gonna do.

india was great, lovely beach, nice weather, just swam all day and played frisbie.
i did get bit by a pack of wild dogs though, it was sum funny shit.
it was mad though as well cuz it was the time of the tsunami and all that. so we heard a lot of horror stories from people who had been and gone or were gonna be there etc....all the locals stoped eating the fish and everyone was kinda unsure of the scale of it cuz we were a good bit away from it and didnt understand exactly how bad it was.

mc moley said:
cormy you lucky fucker im gonna rape you for that banjo when you come back! erin has a savage old banjo and i want one big time.

Boss, really don't want to put you on the spot or anything here, but I really don't think the word rape should be used at all lightly...ever...or in any sense other than what it actually means....I hate being the "voice of morality" or whatever shit but I think that's a step too far...

it can be used in more than one context, this is true, although not relevent.

rape[size=-1]1[/size] ([font=verdana,sans-serif] P [/font]) Pronunciation Key (r
amacr.gif
p)
n.

1. The crime of forcing another person to submit to sex acts, especially sexual intercourse.
  2. The act of seizing and carrying off by force; abduction.
  3. Abusive or improper treatment; violation: a rape of justice.
tr.v. raped, rap·ing, rapes
  1. To force (another person) to submit to sex acts, especially sexual intercourse; commit rape on.
  2. To seize and carry off by force.
  3. To plunder or pillage.

thank you. not sure why dara hasnt noted this here but he claimed to have meant:
  1. To seize and carry off by force.
  2. To plunder or pillage.

Em, I was thinking it would be a 4-string, but I dunno...is it simply a matter of perference, or are there advantages to a 4-string over a 5-string other than (presumably) being easier to play? Does it take long to get going with it if you`re reasonably competant at guitar?

ed in mouth said:
i hate being the voice of curios ignorance but cant the term rape be used in more than one context?

Any word can be used in more than one context, that's irrelevant. I could say "you fuckin dog" in a fond way to a dog that´s messin, or in a really aggressive derogatory way to someone I wanted to insult. Or any other number of examples that I could think up. But the point is that I and plenty of other people don`t feel comfortable with "rape" being used in an off-hand, joking kind of way.

Corm said:
Any word can be used in more than one context, that's irrelevant. I could say "you fuckin dog" in a fond way to a dog that´s messin, or in a really aggressive derogatory way to someone I wanted to insult. Or any other number of examples that I could think up. But the point is that I and plenty of other people don`t feel comfortable with "rape" being used in an off-hand, joking kind of way.

Do you not think then, the rather worrying "surprise sex" joke, should be called on? I seriously don't think there's any room for interpretation there. Liadain does linguistics, what's a floating signifier? I like the word cunt, it should be used more. Rolls off the tongue ;) Poetic. Though be wary of the pc linguistics game as opposed to genuine struggle. Wimmin? :rolleyes: :p :)

The thing is that it's a case of basic regard (or disregard) for people, not any of that Pathetic-Left middle-class liberal word games bullshit. The idea of or term P.C. shouldn't come into it. There's probably more of your friends, acquaintances and relatives who have been raped and sexually assaulted than you'd possibly imagine, maybe they're all totally okay with it being used as a joke and it wouldn't bring up horrible associations and memories for them...but I doubt it.

The "surprise sex" "joke" is just childish bullshit from people who should know better.

Oh corm, why do we always argue over what we're basically agreeing about. :) :p :D !baggyyyy

I was just showing one facet of it. Cunt, wimmin, etc. Yours was a different side and one which I agree with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back