Anyone ever buy a laptop from dell? (1 Viewer)

Yeah, I got one a few months back. It rocks. If you want to do any kind of processor-hungry stuff like CAD, steer clear of Centrinos. If you want super-long battery life, steer clear of Pentiums.

GrRrrrR said:
Yeah, I got one a few months back. It rocks. If you want to do any kind of processor-hungry stuff like CAD, steer clear of Centrinos. If you want super-long battery life, steer clear of Pentiums.

Could you say the same for Heavy Audio processing ?
Cause I'm also about to buy a new one and would like to know if they are not good for Audio

Centrino is supposadly more Wireless friendly.......whatever that means ?

I got a Dell 9200. its only rapid. It's big and solidish but I haven't used it for any of my graphics/visual work apart from 1 or 2 flash presentations. in fact my new job bought me a new laptop so my Dell is being my stereo/dvd player at the moment.

Wicker said:
Centrino is supposadly more Wireless friendly.......whatever that means ?

You can get free internet with it where available. such as at the airport.

and in my flat in dublin !ninjaaaa

broken arm said:
I got a Dell 9200. its only rapid. It's big and solidish but I haven't used it for any of my graphics/visual work apart from 1 or 2 flash presentations. in fact my new job bought me a new laptop so my Dell is being my stereo/dvd player at the moment.

You can get free internet with it where available. such as at the airport.

and in my flat in dublin !ninjaaaa

so it's a built in Wi-Fi card ...?
You must have someone with a Wireless Network next door and their security switched off....... lucky you

Any word on what the Centrino processor is like....?
Cause if it's not much good I'm inclined to steer clear

All reports I've read put the centrino ahead of the P4 for laptops especially for processor heavy stuff like audio/video etc.
The Centrino uses way less power than the P4 which means it doesn't suffer from the heat problems that P4 laptops do.
Again, this is just what I've read, so if you know differently I'd like to know cos I'm in the market for an audio laptop at the mo too.

AFAIK, the P4 is better for brute-force calculations and shit. The centrino is optimised for multimedia work, which is why it seems to be equivalent to P4 speeds, but won't be for everything.
At the time, the P4 was cheaper, and I almost never use it on battery, so the extra battery life of the Centrino was no use to me. My P4 has wi-fi, too.

Also, free internet in the flat dude. Karma will get you.

GrRrrrR said:
I almost never use it on battery, so the extra battery life of the Centrino was no use to me.

If you're leaving it plugged in, make sure you take the battery out or you'll destroy the battery life. Allegedly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back