Anybody here evre copyright or patent an idea? (1 Viewer)

i came up with an idea for a window frame that unfolds into a balcony. the place where i worked at the time spent about 2 years and 20-30,000 in the copyright process.

if memory serves me right, first of all you get a temporary copyright, then you have to decide which regions you want to copyright it in, and the period of time. very expensive process as copyright lawyers are the most expensive of all lawyers.

having said that, you might be able to do it without the aid of a copyright lawyer. it would probably involve alot of work though, and you would need to be able to describe your idea in very precise language, as that will define exactly what it is that is copyrighted. too vague and its worthless, too precise and it means people can come up with slight variations. also, this wasn't in ireland so the process may be slightly different here.

write the idea down and post it to yourself in an register letter. that way if you have a dispute with the patents office or anyone, you at least have concrete proof of when you conceived the idea.

then patents office, possibly via patents solicitor, though avoid any companies that offer to help with the patent process.

whats the first step?

Just want to let you know where I am

9%20Bannatyne.jpg

Ah'm OOT!

The various areas of intellectual property are easily confused and confusing.

You can't copyright an idea, it's for original works of art.

If the idea is an invention you may get a patent if there aren't already too similar patents.

If the idea is a snappy phrase or symbol/icon you can pursue a trademarking of it.

This is my basic and potentially wrong understanding of such things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back