Amazon Kindle now available in Ireland (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter pete
  • Start date
  • Replies 198
  • Views 60K
  • Watchers 4
Someone please help me out here...

I've mentioned this before, but for some reason I can't buy books on amazon.co.uk - so I buy all my kindle books on amazon.com which syncs nicely with Kindle for Mac.

I going to pick up a physical kindle probably at xmas for myself - my question is this:

Do I have to buy the kindle from amazon.com & have it shipped from the states for it to sync with all my purchased ebooks on a.com or can I pop into my local Tesco & pick up the one there without the fear of it not syncing?

Thanks in advance...

Yeah, they take you to the international page for Ireland - .co.uk say they don't ship to your address. Thats why I'm cautious about buying one locally.

I still think its insane that I have to buy all my books from america...

EDIT:
Here -
Choose a country: Select your country for details...
[h=2]Ireland[/h]We are excited to now ship Kindle to Ireland. Customers in Ireland will enjoy:
Books in Under 60 Seconds: Think of a book and you could be reading it in under a minute

Growing Selection: Over 880,000 English-language books to choose from; plus U.S. and international newspapers and magazines are available for your country. Because publishers give us eBook rights on a country by country basis, available titles for your country will vary from our current U.S selection. We are actively working with publishers to get the rights to all titles for every country and adding this selection every day. Check the Kindle Store to see available titles.

Low Book Prices: New York Times® Best Sellers and New Releases are $11.99 to $13.99 (prices include VAT), unless marked otherwise. You'll also find many books for less - over 100,000 titles are priced under $5.99

Learn more about Kindle features on the Kindle product page

Important Product Information for Your Country
  • Your international shipment is subject to VAT. This is the same VAT rate you pay when you buy products in your country. There are NO customs duties or any other fees. We will show you the estimated VAT upon checkout. Learn more
  • Kindle ships with a micro-USB cable for charging your Kindle via a computer USB port
  • You can transfer personal documents to your Kindle via USB for free at anytime. Service fees for transferring personal documents via Whispernet are currently $.99 per megabyte. Learn more
  • Wireless download times can vary based on 3G or EDGE/GPRS coverage, signal strength and file size.
  • Kindle books, newspapers, and magazines are currently priced and sold in United States dollars
  • Access Wikipedia via Whispernet on the experimental web browser. Access other websites like Google via a Wi-Fi connection.
  • Kindle includes a 1-year limited warranty. See details
  • Use of the Kindle is subject to the Kindle License Agreement and Terms of Use

Main reason I'm asking here is that I don't relish the prospect of having to endure the blank expression from a gormless local tesco employee attempting to comprehend me...

I've only noticed it in the last week where amazon.co.uk is saying kindle editions are only available in the UK (though I haven't checked in quite a while before that).

dunno what its all about. There used to be no bother.

I get my kindle books through the kindle store on the device itself. I'll have a look later and see if its still possible to download stuff that way.

Do you know if you have the option to sync with .com instead?

Like I can log into both amazons (us & uk) with the same login details/account yet all my books are in US

Do you know if you have the option to sync with .com instead?

Like I can log into both amazons (us & uk) with the same login details/account yet all my books are in US

I don't know is if your US and UK accounts are considered the same in kindle terms.

My guess is that you'd have to deregister your device from your UK account and register it with your US one, and keep switching it around as needs. But I don't know for sure.

I'll play around with mine for a bit and see if I can do it. I'll try it with the free books that you can get.

Cheers Scuts

it seems you can only get stuff from .com now. I tried from .co.uk and it redirected me to .com. I went to .com and there is a dropdown list where you can specify your location (I selected 'Europe', though I doubt there'd be any issue if this wasn't set). I was able to download a book fine.

Not sure why the brits want to be different. But in answer to your question, I registered my kindle with .co.uk but now I can only get stuff from .com.

Thats reassuring - Thanks for that.

I'm still perplexed as to why I can only buy books from the US as well, but sure if the brits want to be different, then so be it.
Actually, more often than not I end up having to order [physical] books from the US too as I get the "sorry your order can't be posted to this address" from the britstore... fuck knows why

Thats reassuring - Thanks for that.

I'm still perplexed as to why I can only buy books from the US as well, but sure if the brits want to be different, then so be it.
Actually, more often than not I end up having to order [physical] books from the US too as I get the "sorry your order can't be posted to this address" from the britstore... fuck knows why

800 years!

Been trying to decide between the simple one for €115 or the one with the keyboard & free 3G for €199

But then again a mate of mine is heading to the states in a couple of weeks & a Kindle Fire works out at €140(ish) quid

I know it don't have the e-ink but I recon my kid will get a kick out of those interactive children's books... looks pretty sweet for the price

The only technology guy I read regularly, David Pogue of the NY Times, loves the Kindle to bits, but is not sold on the Fire at all.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/14/t...-amazons-lower-priced-kindles-also-shine.html

The colorful home screen depicts an attractive wood grain bookshelf. Its scrolling contents consist of miniature posters of your e-books, music albums, TV shows, movies, PDF documents, apps and Web bookmarks. There is also a lower shelf where you can park the items you use most often.

Your heart leaps. “This is incredible!” you say, contemplating the prospects. “It’s like an iPad — for $200!”

But that’s a dangerous comparison.

For one thing, the Fire is not nearly as versatile as a real tablet. It is designed almost exclusively for consuming stuff, particularly material you buy from

Amazon, like books, newspapers and video. It has no camera, microphone, GPS function, Bluetooth or memory-card slot. There is a serviceable e-mail program, but no built-in calendar or note pad.

Most problematic, though, the Fire does not have anything like the polish or speed of an iPad. You feel that $200 price tag with every swipe of your finger. Animations are sluggish and jerky — even the page turns that you’d think would be the pride of the Kindle team. Taps sometimes don’t register. There are no progress or “wait” indicators, so you frequently don’t know if the machine has even registered your touch commands. The momentum of the animations hasn’t been calculated right, so the whole thing feels ornery.

Magazines are supposed to be among the best new features. Most offer two views. There is Page View, which shows the original magazine layout — but shrunken down too small to read, and zooming is limited. Then there is Text View: simple text on a white background. It’s great for reading, but of course now you’re missing the design and layout, which is half the joy of reading a magazine. And Text View sometimes loses words, cartoon captions and so on.

Children’s books, with their reliance on color, have never been possible on E Ink tablets, so they make their first Kindle appearance on the Fire. Amazon’s contribution here is that you can tap a text block to enlarge the type — a peculiar choice, since children’s books already tend to have jumbo fonts.

Videos play well, although neither movies nor TV shows match the screen’s proportions, and you can’t zoom in to eliminate the

letterbox bars. Glare on this superglossy screen is a problem, too.

Is your primary interest in an e-book reader, well, reading? Then Amazon’s refined, dirt-cheap Kindle and Kindle Touch are no-brainers.

The Fire deserves to be a disruptive, gigantic force — it’s a cross between a Kindle and an iPad, a more compact Internet and video viewer at a great price. But at the moment, it needs a lot more polish; if you’re used to an iPad or “real” Android tablet, its software gremlins will drive you nuts.

I think the problem is is that people are comparing it to the iPad when its not at all what it is.

Every single review/preview I've looked at compare the thing to an iPad which is the equivalent of comparing a combo dvd player portable telly job for your bedroom & a 40" plasma 3D telly

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back