[Nov 2, 2013] Mmoths (The Button Factory) (1 Viewer)

pete

chronic procrastinator
Staff member
Since 1999
Solutions
Website
thumped.com
POD presents
MMOTHS
Saturday 2nd November 2013
The Button Factory – Curved Street, Temple Bar – Dublin 2.
Doors – 7:30pm
Tickets € 15 (inc. booking fee) available from Ticketmaster and usual outlets. www.ticketmaster.ie

www.facebook.com/mmoths
www.mmothsmusic.com

Jack Colleran, MMOTHS for short, is a warm, 20-year-old Irishman burrowing through the trajectory of discovery on his own imperfect terms. While most of the music listening experience is typically about the act of discovery, his music making experience is about sharing his sense of wonder and discovery with the listener, marking his forthcoming Diaries EP his most personal yet accessible effort to date.

As a child raised in the small Irish town of Newbridge, he got his start in music at the age of 5, where after relentless nagging, he convinced his Mum to buy him a keyboard. Later, he saved up for a bass. "I still have that bass," he muses. "I didn't want to learn from someone else. I like discovering things on my own. I want to experience it on my own." After several years of experimentation, MMOTHS is continuing to discover, and grow with, his sound.

Less than two years removed from secondary school, MMOTHS has left Newbridge for Dublin, where he currently resides and writes. Over the past year, he has ridden the success of several singles, remixes, and his debut EP, which have garnered some local attention (via Nialler9, BBC, Abeano), international ink (Fader, Prefix, The Creators Project), and a support slot for the XX on their 2012 UK tour. But, even after all of the warm reception, he's still just a humble 19-year-old from small town Newbridge, trying to wrap his head around a whirlwind year, largely spent on the road.

As a result, Colleran's Diaries EP (due out March 2013 on SQE), which features collaborations with dark, sultry R&B newcomer Young & Sick and XL Recordings' own Holly Miranda, is his most robust work to date. This melodically dense, introspective collection of new work was made by someone who at heart is an electronic producer, but who is growing much more confident in capturing live instrumentation and expanding his lush palette.

The title, "Diaries", was as unexpected as it is poignant. Explains Colleran, "The idea behind the name is - I decided to get a diary and take a camera with me, to try and document everything thats been happening over the past year. It started in Europe and moved to the States. I spent so much money on rolls and rolls of film. That lasted for all of 2 days. My camera broke, I lost my pen. In essence, these tracks took their place." This makeshift documentation has created a work oozing with intuition far beyond the years of its creator. Colleran's sonic world offers a quiet respite that is anything but boring.

Recently, in conjunction with his new work, he has revamped his live show, incorporating the use of two other musicians and live instrumentation, translating his very intimate, studio-born tracks into something much larger for the road. While he admittedly never "wanted to necessarily be a full-time touring guy," he has embraced this newest challenge of adaptation. Highlights from the past year include the aforementioned UK support slot for the XX, his first US tour, and opening for At The Drive-In before a packed house at the Brixton Academy in London.

It would be pointless to try and fold what MMOTHS is doing into any scene or compare him to someone you might already know. This young man is an original, and the portrait of him as an artist is just starting to come into focus

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back