Amazon gives free digital album to anyone who buys the CD (1 Viewer)

Scientician 0.8

Supporter
Contributor
Is there any stopping Amazon? The company has just introduced yet another retail game-changer with “Auto-Rip,” a new service that gives customers a free online version of any album they buy — or have bought on Amazon in the last 15 years. You can look at it as a two-for-one package deal on any music you buy.

http://paidcontent.org/2013/01/10/amazon-gives-free-digital-album-to-anyone-who-buys-the-cd/

So it seems any cd you've bought off amazon you get the tracks in the "cloud" and from what I've read it includes cds you've purchased as presents for others.

much easier to screw bands than it is to screw authors??

I wouldn't see this a screwing anyone - it's just a sensible piece of convenience.
Pretending you are not entitled to rip CDs you have already bought is screwing the consumer.

If I had a digital back up of every CD I've ever bought then I wouldn't have bought Nevermind 5 times having had 3 ruined at parties and lost 3 while moving flats.

Not sure if this is screwing the musicians now that, barring your account collapsing, you won't need to replace your CD to listen to it when inevitably the shitty piece of plastic either gets scratched or just disappears. God how I hate CDs.

well i worded that post awfully anyways.

my complaint was that if you have a music and you contract it to retailer and they change it to a different format and just hand it out, there is something a little wrong with that.

are the second hand purchases you's made showing up? you know where the artist got nothing for the resale, or is it new only?

my complaint was that if you have a music and you contract it to retailer and they change it to a different format and just hand it out, there is something a little wrong with that.
I don't have a problem with that - I bought the album once.

are the second hand purchases you's made showing up? you know where the artist got nothing for the resale, or is it new only?

No just new albums

I'm kind of on the fence about this, on one hand yes you are right it is a bit cheeky but are Amazon ripping the CDs themselves and uploading it or do the bands labels etc provide the digital versions themselves ? So for example if you bought the original CD issue of Disintegration by The Cure do you get that version or do you get the remastered version which you can actually hear on an ipod ?

while I'm on the subject

In theory it would be possible to release an album which would come in a format that would allow the listener to have some basic control over the sound of that recording. So for example instead of the "rock" "Classical" etc EQ settings on your MP3 Player you could do a little tinkering to the individual albums or songs or what have you, before they reached the player. So you'd download the equivilent of a photographic RAW file have a RAW editor dedicated to the purpose of tinkering and then when it's done you could send it to the MP3 player. I know you could do this anyway in any audio editing software but I'm thinking of a format designed specifically to allow for personal re-mastering. That'd be class. I could finally hear Neu and Rid of Me on public transport and knock one bar of volume of I am Come so as to not drown myself.

Of course that'll never happen because it would do away with re-masters and god knows record labels releasing them.

I'm kind of on the fence about this, on one hand yes you are right it is a bit cheeky but are Amazon ripping the CDs themselves and uploading it or do the bands labels etc provide the digital versions themselves ? So for example if you bought the original CD issue of Disintegration by The Cure do you get that version or do you get the remastered version which you can actually hear on an ipod ?

while I'm on the subject

In theory it would be possible to release an album which would come in a format that would allow the listener to have some basic control over the sound of that recording. So for example instead of the "rock" "Classical" etc EQ settings on your MP3 Player you could do a little tinkering to the individual albums or songs or what have you, before they reached the player. So you'd download the equivilent of a photographic RAW file have a RAW editor dedicated to the purpose of tinkering and then when it's done you could send it to the MP3 player. I know you could do this anyway in any audio editing software but I'm thinking of a format designed specifically to allow for personal re-mastering. That'd be class. I could finally hear Neu and Rid of Me on public transport and knock one bar of volume of I am Come so as to not drown myself.

Of course that'll never happen because it would do away with re-masters and god knows record labels releasing them.

The muddy original CD of Disintegration is preferable to the brickwalled remaster.

I imagine amazon.com are savvy enough to go over that with record companies before the fact. They might have just said, we're going to do this and if you're unhappy with that we can stop selling your products, or it may be more nuanced.

What you're also hitting on is whether when you purchase a CD (or DVD or videogame) now, since everything is digitisible, are you actually purchasing a licence to listen/view/play to it in perpetuity as opposed to just the physical artefact? Amazon is making it so that your CD purchase allows you a licence to access the music at least as long as amazon decides it is a good idea or amazon closes for business. It's an interesting contrast to a couple of decades ago when people upgraded their vinyl and tapes to compact disc and the record companies made a bloody fortune from their extant catalogues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back