Ale appreciation thread (1 Viewer)

I think just about any pale ale could be described as a "less hoppy IPA". Apart from IPA, obviously.
True enough, but how pedantic do we want to get with categorising beers? I'd say both beers belong to the same class ie strongish, malty, pale, English style. Also, I know that ESB in Sierra Nevada's case stands for Early Spring Beer. but surely it's a play on Fullers ESB. No?

True enough, but how pedantic do we want to get with categorising beers?
Not pedantic at all, preferably. Which is why I think the notion of a distinctive class called "ESB" is a bit pointless and overly pedantic.

surely it's a play on Fullers ESB. No?
Possibly, but it's more because American brewers and drinkers seem to believe that all beer can be pedantically categorised into one of 100-or-so style categories, of which "ESB" is one (category 8E). The list of examples they give are a fairly dispirate bunch: I don't think the likes of Hopback Summer Lightning and Black Sheep really have anything useful in common, and nor do Fuller's ESB and SN ESB, I reckon. I mean, they put Bishop's Finger and Spitfire both in the ESB category. What's the point?

Well, I stand by my notion that the Fullers and Sierra Nevada similiar. I also accept your view that they're pretty different.

I'm taking a Luas out to Ranelagh tomorrow to pick up 3-4 bottles of something amazing. I'll get that Torpedo gear you're on about. Anything else I mightn't have tried?

If you've not tried the Speakeasy beers, they're well worth a punt. Prohibition and Double Daddy are the best of the bunch, IMO, though opinion varies. There's some great Bateman's stuff knocking about at the moment: Dark Lord in particular, though Victory is pretty good too.

And if you're tempted by the fancy-pants Estrella Damm Inedit, don't: it's rubbish.

If you've not tried the Speakeasy beers, they're well worth a punt. Prohibition and Double Daddy are the best of the bunch, IMO, though opinion varies. There's some great Bateman's stuff knocking about at the moment: Dark Lord in particular, though Victory is pretty good too.

And if you're tempted by the fancy-pants Estrella Damm Inedit, don't: it's rubbish.
I've tried a few of the Speakeasy ones and was well impressed. Never had double daddy so I'll look out for that. I'll see what they have by Bateman's too. Estrella Damn advice noted. Thanks for the tips.

Anyone if Little Creatures Pale Ale is available in Ireland any more? Oddbins used to do it, but I haven't seen it there for over a year now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back