Ale appreciation thread (1 Viewer)

Anyone had any of them Wynchwood Beers? Been enjoying some of this and that recently.
Nothing special really, imo.
Anyone if Little Creatures Pale Ale is available in Ireland any more? Oddbins used to do it, but I haven't seen it there for over a year now.
Unfortunately not, I don't think so anyway. Brilliant beer.

This has been rocking my world of late

2_anchor_liberty.jpg

speaking of porter.. I was in Aalborg last week. The place is boring as hell and expensive to boot. The only saving grace being a pub called The Wharf with an excellent selection of ales/beers including cask ales - over 100 to choose from..

I last remember lashing in a few cask porters. The place was supposed to close at 12 but the barman just kept serving us until the wee hours..

http://www.ratebeer.com/Place/denmark/aalborg/the-wharf/1738.htm

i havent, no. Do you know where i could get it, Wobbs? I havent seen it around

I bought a bottle of Anchors 'Summer Beer' last night. Will give that a try tonight.
No, you didn't see the porter around too much. Keep it in mind and have a quick look next time you're in a fancy offie. It shows up now and again.

Haven't had their summer beer. The winter one is ok, quite nice.

speaking of porter.. I was in Aalborg last week. The place is boring as hell and expensive to boot. The only saving grace being a pub called The Wharf with an excellent selection of ales/beers including cask ales - over 100 to choose from..

I last remember lashing in a few cask porters. The place was supposed to close at 12 but the barman just kept serving us until the wee hours..

http://www.ratebeer.com/Place/denmark/aalborg/the-wharf/1738.htm
Wow. That place sounds amazing. Cask porter is just lovely. We're missing out on a big opportunity in Ireland, with our fondness for dark beers, and all.

I'm not sure if I've previously mentioned this on this thread before but it's a real winner...

Fullers_london_porter.jpg

Not too hard to find it. Super Valu on Aston quay have it, for instance.

honest question-whats the difference between ale and beer?i havent a notion.
Most people don't know. Nothing to be ashamed of.

Firstly, ale is a type of beer. I'd imagine what you really meant was

What's the difference ale and lager?

Irish people say beer when they mean lager. Brits tend to do the opposite.

When beer's being made, the yeast will do one of two things. If a lager yeast is being used, the yeast will go to the bottom. Ale yeast will go to the top.

You with me?

So lager is brewed using a lager yeast which sits at the bottom and takes about a month. This happens at cold temperatures, about 8 degrees or so.

Ale is quicker, takes about a week at warmer temperatures (20 degrees or so).

Ales will usually have some fruitiness to them caused by the warmer fermentation (something to do with ethers)

Contrary to popular opinion, it's nothing to do with the colour or anything like that.

Most people don't know. Nothing to be ashamed of.

Firstly, ale is a type of beer. I'd imagine what you really meant was

What's the difference ale and lager?

Irish people say beer when they mean lager. Brits tend to do the opposite.

When beer's being made, the yeast will do one of two things. If a lager yeast is being used, the yeast will go to the bottom. Ale yeast will go to the top.

You with me?

So lager is brewed using a lager yeast which sits at the bottom and takes about a month. This happens at cold temperatures, about 8 degrees or so.

Ale is quicker, takes about a week at warmer temperatures (20 degrees or so).

Ales will usually have some fruitiness to them caused by the warmer fermentation (something to do with ethers)

Contrary to popular opinion, it's nothing to do with the colour or anything like that.
Or, if you find that boring.....

It's to do with the yeast.

Quick heads-up for the ale fans: on Saturday (around Lions kick-off time) the Bull & Castle will be tapping a cask of O'Hara's Red.

As with the cask they did back in March, the quicker this goes, the more likely we'll get more cask beers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back