Ale appreciation thread (3 Viewers)

broken arm

i thought there was a thread on this already??

we were in this pub last night that we regularly go to because of the ales. They have visiting ales all the time - some you only see once or twice.

Last night I had a portion of pints of an Ale called "Potion" and it was amazing. The pump clip was a digestive biccie sized cut of wood and on it was what looked like a hand drawn logo "potion" with and equally hand drawn couldron with witches fingers wrapped around it....

can't find the name of the brewery.

has anyone in the UK seen this before?

Possibly this http://www.ratebeer.com/Beer/boggart-potion/35664/

Never had it.

I think Britain could make a fair claim to be the best brewers in the world. Most connoisseurs get more excited about Belgian and American ales but a good cask ale from a good pub is practically an unrivaled experience. Nowhere else on earth is there such a wide range of quality beers at under 4% abv. Pity it's wasted on the Brits, cask ale has 11% of the beer market, the vast majority of the rest being dodgy lagers.

this is the best ale known to man:
Newcastle_Brown_Ale.jpg

Most of the fullers ales are pretty nice, especially london pride (DO NOT TRY THIS DRAUGHT, ESPECIALLY IN LONDON!!!)

But Irishwise the best ales or beers as we micks refer to them as are
smithwicks.jpg

macardels is fairly nice two
the aul rebel red is quite nice as well
pumpclip_rebelred.gif

Hate the Beamish red,kilkenny and cafferys bleeuughhh

is it true that the best ale is warm and flat?
No, English ale should be serve chilled but not cold. Pubs shouldn't serve ale at room temperature (some do) or at lager temperature. Real ale gets its fizz from live yeast with in the cask, which gives it a pleasant sparkle quite distinct from artificially carbonated beer we're all familiar with. if ale is completely flat, it's not fresh but don't expect the ale to be fizzy either.

I think the best Ale is Indian. And Pale.
India Pale Ale is fantastic. You're lucky to be in the states, IPA is rare here.
this is the best ale known to man:
Newcastle_Brown_Ale.jpg

Most of the fullers ales are pretty nice, especially london pride (DO NOT TRY THIS DRAUGHT, ESPECIALLY IN LONDON!!!)

But Irishwise the best ales or beers as we micks refer to them as are
smithwicks.jpg

macardels is fairly nice two
the aul rebel red is quite nice as well
pumpclip_rebelred.gif

Hate the Beamish red,kilkenny and cafferys bleeuughhh
Newcastle Brown Ale is quite nice. You were obviously served London Pride in a dodgy pub. Londn Pride on draught in a pub which manages its ale is far superior than the bottled version.

Not big on most irish red ales I've tried but Rebel is quite good.

Thumped expedition to the CAMRA Great British Beer Convention this year?
I went 2 years ago and if I could remember it, it would be the second best day of my life.

Thumped expedition to the CAMRA Great British Beer Convention this year?
I went 2 years ago and if I could remember it, it would be the second best day of my life.

i reckon i'll be going.

What is this IRA you guise in Ireland are so crazy about anyway?
Its like an Irish version of IPA right?

India Rich Ale, unlike our weedy India Pale Ale :eek::eek::eek:.

I love your country! Its so green! You guys are gr8!! So passionate about your beer and your bar snax "Brits" I had them once, taste like Preztels.

ive been getting stuck into some damn tasty ales here. sainsburys do a great 4 bottles for the price of 3. deadly. when i remember what the hell i was drinking , ill post them up

ive been getting stuck into some damn tasty ales here. sainsburys do a great 4 bottles for the price of 3. deadly. when i remember what the hell i was drinking , ill post them up

threshers do a 4 for £5 on Ales and they have the usuals - speckled hen, badger, old peculiar etc alongside some local brews and rarities.

I think a thumped meet up at the Ale Festival is a good idea.

Lefty, are you up for it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back