• Thread starter jane
  • Start date
  • Replies 47
  • Views 4K
  • Watchers 1

jane

Website
www.ittybittyhearingtrumpet.wordpress.com
This is a thread about food, dedicated -- of course, to Aoife, who gets all giddy at food talk like I do.

We have a recipes thread and all, but this is one for easy meals that are fresh and healthy(ish), stuff you can make without too much hassle. I hardly ever bother cooking if it's just for me, partly because most of the things I'm good at making take a good bit of time and energy and if I'm having dinner at home on me own, it's usually because I'm working and don't have time to cook anything spectacular. Plus, the minimal wheat I'm allowed to have means I can't have pasta or sangiches.

So I want to know what kinds of things I can make without spending loads of time and money, or creating too many dirty dishes. Spill your secrets, people!

I'll start: polenta is easy and versatile. Roast some vegetables, cook up some polenta (with stock, a bit of parmesean cheese, and some garlic) in a saucepan, dump it into a dish and leave it to set until it's firm. Then, slice it up and stick it under the grill until it's browned. If you've got some tomato sauce handy, dump it on top and eat it with the veg. Presto! Yum.

Also, I love bananas with honey and yoghurt as a desserty-type thing. Or, if I've got a hankering, I sometimes melt dark chocolate and dip bananas into it. I heart bananas.

For lunch today I made a very yummy pasta salad.

Get some pasta (I use the twirly one) and boil it up. Whilst doing this grate some parmesan cheese. When ze pasta is cooked rinse it in cold water. Then chuck some rocket, some sundried tomatoes and the parmesan in it. Lovely.

My first thought at seeing the title of this thread was that aoife had died. I'd miss aoife, though i don't really know her. minus 44820 points for you jane(or just 9).

And i am aware that my initial thought was totally idiotic.

Oooh, that sounds nice. Bet it would work with rice or couscous, too. Yum yum.

I'm a big fan of salads. I like baby spinach, beetroot and cherry tomatoes with a dressing made from tahini, yoghurt, soya milk, and a bit of lemon juice. A nice lunch or light dinner. I also like the salad with cheese, or pieces of tofu or tempeh.

Ed said:
My first thought at seeing the title of this thread was that aoife had died. I'd miss aoife, though i don't really know her. minus 44820 points for you jane(or just 9).

And i am aware that my initial thought was totally idiotic.

I meant, like 'Dedicated to Aoife'. Pah! I wouldn't even joke about that sort of thing. Anyway, if a Thumpeder passed on, I don't think it would be on the 'Lifestyle' board. And if it were Aoife, the whole internet would cry.

Now, you, talk about food or buzz off, like. Or I'll start another thread about cosmetics.

Mmm, i like food, my current favourite thing is mexican chilli chicken rolls from the evil cafe in ucd. Lots of chicken somothered in swet chilli mayo and guacamole(or however it's spelt). Messiest food in the world.
I'm big into roasted vegetables at the moment(especially parsnips), and chillis, and not putting too much vinegar into sweet chili sauce.
I'm all about the simple salsas at the moment tomatoes(don't use tinned tomatos), with a nice bit of balsamic vinegar, spring onions, a bit of chilli, gherkins and garlic....
Leeks are underutilised, as fantastic as they are in leek and potato soup, people neglect the simple pleasure of slicing a bit up and throwing it in a hang, or cheese sanglitch with some mayo.
Damn i'm hungry now

Super Dexta said:
jar of nutella + spoon = happy dexta

This is a bit closer to my actual diet, though Nutella is not often permitted in my house, due to my lack of self-control. Peanut butter is the more likely candidate for me. Peanut butter and honey, with sliced banana on oatcakes. Oh, the humble oatcake!

I agree with you on the leeks, Ed. They are delicious. It does, however, concern me that your favourite food is something for which UCD is in any way responsible.

I don't have much self-control either - I've had to stop buying my favourite biscuits because every time I did I'd eat the whole packet before the day was out. You'll have to start dragging me out running again.

I will be passing not too far from where you live at approximately 7:30 tomorrow morning. Ahem. Ahem ahem.

I can't have peanut butter in the house too often. It displaces all other food from my diet. You know what? Peanut butter, dark choclate, and bananas. HOLY SHIT. Or, peanut butter, Nutella and banana. She didn't. Oh, yes she did.

jane said:
I will be passing not too far from where you live at approximately 7:30 tomorrow morning. Ahem. Ahem ahem.

I can't have peanut butter in the house too often. It displaces all other food from my diet. You know what? Peanut butter, dark choclate, and bananas. HOLY SHIT. Or, peanut butter, Nutella and banana. She didn't. Oh, yes she did.

Mixing crunchy peanut butter, mayonnaise and a dash of groundnut oil makes some pretty rad nutty mayonnaise I discovered lately. Spread over homemade tofu burgers it rocks. Will have to start joining in these recipe threads when I have my recipes to hand...

And if this thread is in Aoife's honour, then you mark my words, I'll be back with spinach recipes. Oh yes I will.

quick one. It's a kinda chinese thingy.

Iceberg lettuce leaf. fill with grated cheese and nuts of your choice.Roll into a tube shape.

easy and quick. No meat, no bread a very tasty snack.

enjoy.

Here's an amazing recipe I discovered while on safari with my good friends from Swaziland, Romuald and Saoirse. It's an absolute delight and a great after-mass treat when you have to have the stations in your house.

Hang sangidge with ningins and mahas
Ingredients
Brennans sliced loaf
Butter
Hang (also known as "ham" in some parts)
Ningins (aka onions)
Mahas (aka to-ma-toes)

Slather the butter on a couple of slices of loaf. Place hang on loaf. Place ningins and mahas on loaf.

Place two slices of loaf together, thereby "sandwiching" the hang, ningins and mahas. Eat.
Accompany it with a good mug of tea or some TK red lemonade. Put feet up and talk about gaelic football.

this one i live with brought home this bread the other day that had these massive bits of garlic in it. they were like pickled or roasted or whatever you do to garlic to make it even more amazing. it was the best thing EVER.

that is my food thought for the day.

mmmmmm! please do find out where one can purchase this garlic bread stuff. It sounds yummy.
I'm sure I've mentioned this before but Catalan tomato bread is yummy.

Get some slightly hard bread (or just grill some bread for a minute), cut a clove of garlic in half and rub it in to the bread. Then get a squashy tomato and rub it into the bread, ensuring the bread absorbs loads of tomato. Drizzle with olive oil. This is fucking yummy and is a great way of using up almost stale bread and over-ripe tomatoes.

oh yeah, this guy i live with makes that from time to time, it's lovely. nyom nyom.
i believe she got the garlic bread stuff in mortons? which i have no idea where it is.. other than it must be around ranelagh somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back