A thread about baking tasty treats (1 Viewer)

hahahaha YR DED.

nah, flapjax have surprisingly little in 'em.
sher only the other night my friend got half a bowl of oats, a few spoons of butter and a few of sugar, put it into the microwave for a minute or so, took it out, stirred it up, and it was lovely!

Roasted some garlic with oil and pepper in a foil, gonna make the cous cous breads with seeds and roast garlic, then do some grilled pepper and chili hoummus. Some olives and feta to compliment them too. And Praxsky ah em ho ho ho

Just this evening, I have baked the following varieties of cookie:

Gingerbread*
Orange poppyseed
Mini chocolate hearts
Sour cream cutouts (which I appear to have overmixed and so didn't come out right)*
Peppery spice snaps *
Gluten-free Chocolate chip*
Double-chocolate chip*

(I made the dough for the starred ones earlier in the month)

And I'm about to do two more before bed. Then just two more batches to go and I think I'm done for the year.

Spritz
sugar cookies
pinwheel
Chocolate chip

I think. We'll see. I'm running low on some of the ingredients, and I still have to ice the gingerbread, the sour cream cutouts, and the mini-chocolate things, which takes a bit of time.

RIGHT. More baking ahoy.

made the banana and pecan bread/cake thats in the first avoca cook book today. my lord, very very tasty. only took a few minutes to drum together too.

ive just made this carrot and zucchini bread that i found a recipe for online somewhere yesterday. Its donwstairs cooling now, cant wait to try a bit as im starving.

2-1/2 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
1 cup unsifted whole wheat flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1-1/2 cups buttermilk
2 tbsp melted butter
grated rinds of 1 orange and 1 lemon
1 cup coarsely shredded zucchini
1 cup coarsely shredded carrots
whipped cream cheese
powdered ginger

Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9x5x3 loaf pan. Mix together flours, baking powder, soda, salt and sugar. Add remaining ingredients. Stir until well blended. Pour into loaf pan and bake for 1-1/4 hours or until cake is firm. Cool 5 minutes, then unmold onto a rack. Cool before slicing. When cool, top with whipped cream cheese flavored with a touch of powdered ginger. Yields one loaf, which serves 10.

what does baking soda do? i didnt have any of that (or the cream cheese) so did without...

Seed and coconut flapjacks

150g {5.5oz.} porridge oats
2 tablespoons desiccated coconut
1 tablespoon sunflower seeds
1 tablespoon pumpkin seeds, chopped roughly
1 tablespoon linseeds
25g {1oz.} chopped dates{optional}/rasins/sultanas
3 tablespoons brown rice syrup or mixture of any syrup+honey
5 tablespoons cold-pressed walnut oil

Oven to 180 c/350f
Mix dry ingredients together. Add syrup +oil, mix well.
Press into a greased tin that looks ok for flapjacks
Bake for 25-30minutes
Cut into squares/fingers
You'll need tea then, if you like tea

i had a raspberry scone in keogh's last week that i've been thinking about ever since, so...

basic scone recipe. add vanilla essence with the wet ingredients - the raspberries will add liquid so ensure that it's not too gloopy. after everything else is thoroughly mixed, fold in whole, washed raspberries.

tasted amazing, and i got my comeuppance for buying out-of-season fruit because it cost a frigging fortune.

i had a raspberry scone in keogh's last week that i've been thinking about ever since, so...

basic scone recipe. add vanilla essence with the wet ingredients - the raspberries will add liquid so ensure that it's not too gloopy. after everything else is thoroughly mixed, fold in whole, washed raspberries.

tasted amazing, and i got my comeuppance for buying out-of-season fruit because it cost a frigging fortune.
Those raspberry scones, are woah-jaysus delicious. Carbide - You could drain off frozen berries, but don't buy findus ones..there is some sweetener shit in them that tastes manky.
Is Keoghs open Sunday...?hmmm

i'd say you'd be safe enough to leave it out, but you might be safer substituting it with something else. molasses is just another type of sugar used in baking so if you just replace it with something similar then it won't affect the recipe too much. i've substituted it with 3/4 cup sugar (preferably brown) plus 1/4 cup of water. or i think you can use any other sugary thing you'd use in baking, like corn syrup, golden syrup and maple syrup.

if there's a lot of it used in a recipe though you might be best off just sticking with it cos it does have a certain flavour that might leave your baked goods lacking!

i'd say you'd be safe enough to leave it out, but you might be safer substituting it with something else. molasses is just another type of sugar used in baking so if you just replace it with something similar then it won't affect the recipe too much. i've substituted it with 3/4 cup sugar (preferably brown) plus 1/4 cup of water. or i think you can use any other sugary thing you'd use in baking, like corn syrup, golden syrup and maple syrup.

if there's a lot of it used in a recipe though you might be best off just sticking with it cos it does have a certain flavour that might leave your baked goods lacking!
Great tips, Jill! .|..|

molasses are/is not to be found anywhere. i couldnt find a decent sized gingerbreadman cutter anywhere either, just tiny ones. i went to all the best supermarkets within striking distance

I know for sure you can get a jar of molasses in Down To Earth on Georges St. and probably any other health food shop in town for that matter.

If you're actually arsed about getting a gingerbread man cutter you can get them in Kitchen Compliments near Grafton St. Or online.

They've loads of other cutter shapes though, like a tractor, a pig, a rocking horse and a lobster!

anyone ever make spelt brownies?
I have half a bag of spelt flour that I want to use up - think I'll try these cookies but substitute honey for maple syrup
http://www.cookiemadness.net/?p=817

Tried to bake a cake yesterday for the first time - it turned out pretty savage! I call it Raspberry Beret ;)
2 medium eggs
120g (the weight of the eggs) in low-fat butter, flour (I used plain but then added 1.5tsp baking powder and .5 sp salt to make it self-raising), and 30g lo-cal fruit sugar.
Made up the batter and then spooned in some tinned raspberries (didn't add the syrup) - they all broke up into pieces but it worked out ok!
Baked for 25 mins in a loaf tin and it turned out lovely (and not too fatty).
The raspberry pieces are yummy and make it really moist. Covered it in glacé icing and sprinkled hundreds and thousands on top. Easy peasy and delicious!

molasses are/is not to be found anywhere. i couldnt find a decent sized gingerbreadman cutter anywhere either, just tiny ones. i went to all the best supermarkets within striking distance

Strange, I saw it everywhere. When I first moved here I made molasses snow flake cookies. So there must have been some near Crumlin/Drimnagh. I will keep an eye out now because I might make them again. As for cookie cutters you could by some thin metal from a hardware shop and shape your own. I've done it before, it's easy.

anyone ever make spelt brownies?
I have half a bag of spelt flour that I want to use up - think I'll try these cookies but substitute honey for maple syrup
http://www.cookiemadness.net/?p=817

Tried to bake a cake yesterday for the first time - it turned out pretty savage! I call it Raspberry Beret ;)
2 medium eggs
120g (the weight of the eggs) in low-fat butter, flour (I used plain but then added 1.5tsp baking powder and .5 sp salt to make it self-raising), and 30g lo-cal fruit sugar.
Made up the batter and then spooned in some tinned raspberries (didn't add the syrup) - they all broke up into pieces but it worked out ok!
Baked for 25 mins in a loaf tin and it turned out lovely (and not too fatty).
The raspberry pieces are yummy and make it really moist. Covered it in glacé icing and sprinkled hundreds and thousands on top. Easy peasy and delicious!

mmmmm! i make something similar but i use frozen raspberries. slivered almonds on top of the icing. amazing.
i think i'll make it this week!

kudos on the name!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back