A thread about baking tasty treats (3 Viewers)

muffin said:
what the fuck is boxty??sounds mental..

Boxty on the griddle
Boxty on the pan
If you can't make boxty
You'll never get a man.

*nods*

It's a Cavan speciality, I'm told.

*edit*

Oh Jane, I've been baking soda bread with spelt flour lately. It has a lovely nutty flavour. Might be nice in your peanut butter cookies..

Ooooooh.....I made some of these, adapted from a couple of different recipes and listening to my ultimate desires:

Murder By Cookie

1 cup plus slightly more butter
2 large eggs
2/3 cup cocoa
just under 2 cups tritamyl flour or 2 1/4 cups of regular person's plain flour
2 tsp xanthan gum (if using gluten-free flour)
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt (1/2 tsp if using regular flour)
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 large bar of white chocolate, chopped
1 large bar of dark chocolate, chopped

Preheat oven to 180C.

Sift together in a small(ish) bowl flour, cocoa, salt, baking soda, xanthan gum (if using). In larger bowl, mix butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla, until smooth. Add flour mixture to wet ingredients a little at a time, and mix until well-blended. If you're using gluten-free flour, it'll be like hand mixing half-dried concrete, but it'll work. Add chopped chocolate and nuts and mix up real good.

Make little balls of this stuff, stick 'em on baking trays (either 9 or 12 per tray) and freeze for 10-15 minutes before baking for 9-12 minutes. It's harder to tell when a chocolate cookie is done because you can't tell if it's browned, but they're done when they've spread so they look like cookies, and have a crust forming on top. They will still be really wobbly, but will solidify as they cool, and basically taste like brownies, only cookier.

These little dudes are best eaten about 15 minutes after they've been baked. I baked half the batch of dough and then stuck the other half in the freezer to make later in the week.

They're pretty damn awesome.

can you post your recipe for thai green curry please?

i'm mad into the avoca cook book at the moment, got the first one for xmas. i'm making parsnip and chorizo soup today... i'll post the recipe if it works out.

After a month of eating nothing but unprocessed foods and eliminating dairy from my diet. I have just fucking eaten half an easter bunny and these chocolate filled things. And you know what...

THEY ARE THE NICEST THINGS IVE EVER FUCKING TASTED.

hag said:
can you post your recipe for thai green curry please?

i'm mad into the avoca cook book at the moment, got the first one for xmas. i'm making parsnip and chorizo soup today... i'll post the recipe if it works out.
i made this... totally nuts. so unbelieveably tasty. i even took some pictures, it looked amazing too.

onions
garlic
butter (half a 'block')
parsnips
potatoes
chicken stock (or kettle, water and stock cubes)
milk
chorizo

volume-wise, you need around the same amount of supds and parsnips. i made it with around 6-8 medium/large potatoes and 6 medium parsnips. 2 large onions and a bulb of garlic.
peel and chop potatoes, parsnips, onions and garlic into small pieces. no need to be too picky coz your pulverise all this eventually. melt butter, fry up onions and garlic. add potatoes and parsnips. season with salt and pepper. reduce heat and sweat for 10 mins. (butter's important, it gives it a real characteristic taste). add a litre and a half of boiling water and 2 chicken stock cubes. simmer until vegetables are cook through. blend soup.
just after you've added the stock, chop chorizo into skinny disk pieces and fry gentle in some olive oil. aim to have these chorizo peices crispy by the time you blended the soup. add around a pint of milk to soup while blending.
these quantities i've mentioned makes around 5-6 decent sized bowls.
pour soup into two bowls. place around 10 pieces of chorizo floating atop and drizzle some of the chorizo oil from the frying pan on the surface of the soup for dramatic effect.
i'm guessing this would also work fine with a vegetarian substitute for chorizo if there is one. some kind of spicy 'sausage'.
the taste combinations are amazing. i'll stick up some snaps when i get home, it also 'looks' amazing.

I have made this three times in the last fortnight because it is so YUMMY. Its from Nigella's Domestic Goddess book. You can half all the quantities to make muffins, and I did, but the loaf is better I think. The crust is crumbly and delicious and it gets more and more squidgy as you get to the middle. I had a teeny piece for breakfast...
I use Lindt 70% chocolate. Oh and an electric hand mixer thingie makes the creaming of butter and sugar way easier...

Dense Chocolate Loaf Cake

225g soft unsalted butter
375g dark brown sugar
2 large eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
100g best bittersweet chocolate, melted
200g plain flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
250ml boiling water
9 x 5-inch loaf pan

Preheat the oven to 190 degrees C, put in a baking sheet in case of sticky drips later, and grease and line the loaf pan. The lining is important as this is a very damp cake: use parchment or one of those loaf-pan shaped paper liners.

Cream the butter and sugar, either with a wooden spoon or with an electric hand-held mixer, then add the eggs and vanilla, beating in well. Next, fold in the melted and now slightly cooled chocolate, taking care to blend well but being careful not to overbeat. You want the ingredients combined: you don't want a light airy mass. Then gently add the flour, to which you've added the baking soda, alternately spoon by spoon, with the boiling water until you have a smooth fairly liquid batter. Pour into the lined loaf pan, and bake for 30 minutes. Turn the oven down to 170 degrees C and continue to cook for another 15 minutes.The cake will still be a bit squidgy inside, so an inserted cake tester or skewer won't come out completely clean.

Place the loaf pan on a rack, and leave to get completely cold before turning it out. (I often leave it for a day or so: like gingerbread, it improves.) Don't worry if it sinks in the middle: indeed, it will do so because it's such a dense and damp cake

Makes 8-10 slices

Time to bump this thread, people. Time, time, time. The only not shit thing about Christmas is baking shitloads of cookies. Everything else absolutely sucks arse.

THE GAME IS ON, FOLKS. Four batches so far this week:

--cherry coconut thingies
--Springsteen Cookies*
--Peanut Butter Oatmeal cookies
--Chocolate chip cookies with three kinds of chocolate and walnuts

Springsteen cookies are triple chocolate with more cocoa than the recipe says you should use, and added chocolate, and a bit less flour to make them super chewy. They are called Springsteen cookies for obvious reasons. I mean, DUH.

Some of my cookies will be Jane-friendly this year, but mostly I am baking for other people, and freezing some of the dough as I go (for Christmas presents), but taste testers are wanted. We have also now reached the time of year when I will almost always have cookies in my bag that I'm trying to get someone's opinion on.

You'd want to see the fucking size of my cookie list, and the fricking press in my kitchen which is filled with nothing but chocolate and sweets and bags of nuts, and you have NO IDEA HOW MUCH WILLPOWER I AM USING RIGHT NOW.

Send cheese, I'm DYING.

Anyway, I'll post anything else I find that is worth making.

*I will post Springsteen Cookies later. They're basically simple, and I didn't really make them up or nothin'. But I did name them, and that's what matters.

edser's flapjax

what ya fuckin' need:

150g margarine
75g sugar
250g oats
75g golden syrup

what ya fuckin' do:

- preheat your oven to 175 deg C

- heat the margarine, sugar and golden syrup till that shit's liquid as fuck in a saucepan (while that shits heating cover a baking tray in grease-proof paper)

- mix in yer oats there

- pour all that shit onto the baking tray and spread/flatten till ya've got the desired thickness or whatever

- put baking tray in oven and leave for 25 - 30 minutes. the less time, the chewier. i like 'em good an' chewy, but it still took 30 minutes, so i s'pose tis maybe down to the oven a bit too.

- leave to set. (it takes a while for 'em to set, so be mad patient. also, be really careful when you're cutting 'em, as they tend to crumble a bit)

- fuckin' hell eat 'em all flapjax rule bakin' rules wooooo!

Just made a batch of these chocolate peanut butter chocolate chip oatmeal walnut cookies:

1 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup butter (softened)
1.5 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1.5 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
3 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup cocoa
4 cups oats
1 cup chopped nuts
1.5 cups chocolate chunks

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (around 175C). Mix peanut butter and butter really well, then add sugars, baking powder and baking soda, and beat really well again. Then add eggs and vanilla and beat again. Add cocoa, mix in thoroughly. Stir in oats, chocolate and nuts. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet for 12-15 minutes or until you can't wait any longer to scoff them.

Also made the dough for some sour cream sugar cookies, but haven't baked them yet, so there's no verdict yet. I tasted the dough and it was yummy, though.

Next up are gingerbread (when I can track down some molasses...) chocolate buttons, orange poppyseed, miniature spice cookies, and more Springsteen cookies. Also, regular sugar cookies, spritz cookies, florentines, macaroons, snickerdoodles, and some form of almond cookies. I'm going to top my record this year, so everyone had better watch out. I'm going to be cramming my cookies down yizzers throats like there was no tomorrow at all at all.

And I had such high hopes for us, Shaney -- high hopes. Peanut butter+chocolate=:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :) :) .|..| .|..| :D :D

its just that your time would be so much better spent on:

sour cream sugar cookies, gingerbread, chocolate buttons, orange poppyseed, miniature spice cookies, and more Springsteen cookies. Also, regular sugar cookies, spritz cookies, florentines, macaroons, snickerdoodles, and some form of almond cookies.

Holy shit. Fucking fantastic gingerbread cookie recipe, which I will post here over the weekend (it doesn't have a lot of ingredients, but the directions take a while to explain). Then some fucked up goodly cranberry chocolate oatmeal bastard cookies, for which I will post the recipes, then some pepper-aniseed gingersnaps which may or may not need some adjustment. I like them, but they're sort of strange. They might taste better with normal flour instead of GF. I'm going to try to make GF gingerbread, too, but that could be slightly trickier.

My friend Diana and I were busy bees this evening. Our tummies hurted by the end of our spree. Oh, how my tummy hurts.

Next up, orange poppyseed, almond, chocolate buttons and some other little tidbit cookies. Then maybe peanut butter shortbread, apricot and sage, and spritz. There will also need to be more plain old chocolate chip ones, and I'd like to make some florentines. Aiming for 14 or 15. Am halfway there. My freezer is getting full, and there are cookies coming out of my EARHOLES ALREADY.

edser's flapjax

what ya fuckin' need:

150g margarine
75g sugar
250g oats
75g golden syrup

what ya fuckin' do:

- preheat your oven to 175 deg C

- heat the margarine, sugar and golden syrup till that shit's liquid as fuck in a saucepan (while that shits heating cover a baking tray in grease-proof paper)

- mix in yer oats there

- pour all that shit onto the baking tray and spread/flatten till ya've got the desired thickness or whatever

- put baking tray in oven and leave for 25 - 30 minutes. the less time, the chewier. i like 'em good an' chewy, but it still took 30 minutes, so i s'pose tis maybe down to the oven a bit too.

- leave to set. (it takes a while for 'em to set, so be mad patient. also, be really careful when you're cutting 'em, as they tend to crumble a bit)

- fuckin' hell eat 'em all flapjax rule bakin' rules wooooo!

There's not enough fucking in that receipe, stand in the corner and think about what you've done young man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back