A thread about baking tasty treats (3 Viewers)

jane

Website
www.ittybittyhearingtrumpet.wordpress.com
Given that I love to bake, and yet am now faced with the terrible reality of an intolerance to wheat that is just getting WORSE, I've started experimenting with wheat-free baking.

I hate those shitty fake baked goods that taste like sawdust because they are made of sawdust, and I fucking hate fake food and it can kiss my ass. So I'm going to become superduperwheatfreebakerlady because I just can't live without baked goodness. I'm using Tritamyl flour at the moment, but it actually has wheat starch in it, so I'm going to try new kinds once I figure out how to substitute stuff without losing moistness.

I did some cookies last week that came out okay, but the ones I made yesterday are actually pretty awesome, which I adapted a bit so that they are tastier, and then substituted the regular flour for the wheat-free If you can eat wheat, I recommend using the proper flour, so they come out all gooey and stuff. But even if you choose to make them nice and Jane-friendly, they still come out nice because they have all sorts of tasty things inside them.

Now I want to give you the recipe, and you will eat these and probably die from them because they are so FUCKING GOOD. I use American measurements because I am crazy like that. You can find conversions online, or get some US measuring cups and spoons in your local kitchen goodies place (Stock has some, I know, and they also have excellent baking sheets that won't burn the bottoms of the cookies).

Homemade crack cocaine cookies, or Peanut Butter Chocolate Covered Peanut Oatmeal Holy Shits

3/4 cup butter
1/2 cup peanut butter (I use the smooth, natural kind, with no sugar added)
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda (I guess you freaks call this 'bread soda' or 'bicarbonate of soda')
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/4 cups flour (white or tritamyl)
2 cups rolled oats (just oats, like)
1 1/2 cups chocolate covered peanuts

Preheat oven to 180. Put ungreased non-stick baking trays into freezer while you're making these babies. The colder all this shit is when you put it into the oven, the better off you are -- the bottoms won't burn, they will stay gooey because they won't spread as much, etc etc.

Beat butter and peanut butter (I soften the butter in the microwave so that it is easily mushed, but if you have an electric mixer, you won't need to do this) for a while, until fully blended. Add both sugars, baking powder, and baking soda. I mix after each ingredient. The last thing you want is to find a big fucking chunk of baking soda in one of the cookies.

Beat in the flour, then stir in the rolled oats and the peanuts. You can chuck in some extra stuff, like peanut butter chips (can you even get these here?) Reese's pieces, chocolate chips, crack cocaine, crystal meth, etc.

Make little balls, about the size of a rounded teaspoon, a few inches apart (I do nine on each tray, but you can probably get away with 12) on the cold baking tray. Stick the tray, with the doughballs, back into the freezer. If for some reason, you have one of those shitty under-counter fridges with the icebox, you can make the little balls and put them on a plate that fits in the motherfucking shit excuse for a 'freezer'. Either way, 10-15 minutes in there should leave them nice and firm. Or, if you prefer to put them in the fridge, do that, but leave them in for a good hour or so.

Bake at 180 for about 10 minutes, or until they're a little bit brown around the edges. When you take them out, they should still be squishy (don't poke at them too hard, or they'll fall apart). A few minutes out of the oven should firm them up a bit, while leaving them nice and chewy.

Oh fuck, now I need another cookie.

Man, I wish I had baking time, although once march is over I'm home free for a while, then it's pumpkin pie time.

Should this thread pass on to the pageswhichnamesaremorethanone (Amen) then prithee someone to resurrect it around april 2nd

Thanks you

I also like the practical advice, cold tray etc. Recipes are great but this kinda stuff is gold dust.

jane said:
the motherfucking shit excuse for a 'freezer'

we have one of these which we use for keeping ice in a glacier fashion, we observe its progress across the box every 6months and use this data
to predict global warming trends and microshifts in the gulf stream.

Sorry, feeling a bit random tonight.

cpr said:
dear lordy i love baking but never really get the time any more. i might try these cookies, they sound might fine.

Oh, man, these things are seriously good. Peanut butter and chocolate. Mmmmmmmm....Oh! And unlike some cookie recipes, this one only requires a single mixing bowl and a wooden spoon -- less mess to clean up. Really quick to do, too.

Definitely try the freezer thing, Igor, or use the fridge if you have to. If you can't fit the baking trays in either one, run them under really cold water for about ten or fifteen seconds to cool them off. Especially between batches. The colder your tray, the less the cookies will spread. The less they spread, the gooier they will be.

Also, messing with the brown/white sugar ratios helps increase the goo factor -- something to do with the relative moisture contents. This recipe asked for a different ratio, but I changed it a bit. AND FINALLY, if you use tritamyl flour, make sure you sift it. That stuff gets clumpy otherwise.

I makeda cassadetti & cassata alla siciliana jus lika Gino from Ginos deli.

ingredients

1 1/4 pounds fresh ricotta (the crumbly kind one buys in delicatessens)
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 pound diced candied melon rind, finely diced
1/4 pound diced candied orange peel, finely diced
1/4 pound baking chocolate, finely shaved
A pinch vanilla bean (figure 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract)
Pasta frolla sufficient to line and cover a 9-inch pan
Confectioner's sugar for dustingPan di Spagna

Put the ricotta through a strainer and mix it with the sugar (Ada Boni, in her recipe, suggests you beat the sugar and ricotta until the mixture is light and fluffy). Stir in the vanilla, candied fruit and chocolate, mixing well to distribute them evenly.

Roll out your pasta frolla and line a 9-inch cake pan with it. Lay down a layer of crumbled pan di spagna over the dough, spoon the ricotta mixture over it, and cover everything with a second sheet of pasta frolla. Bake in a moderate (370 F, 185 C) oven until the pasta frolla is lightly browned (don't let it over brown or it will become quite hard). Remove it from the pan when it has cooled and dust it with the confectioner's sugar.

Lefty Frizzell said:
I makeda cassadetti & cassata alla siciliana jus lika Gino from Ginos deli.

ingredients

1 1/4 pounds fresh ricotta (the crumbly kind one buys in delicatessens)
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 pound diced candied melon rind, finely diced
1/4 pound diced candied orange peel, finely diced
1/4 pound baking chocolate, finely shaved
A pinch vanilla bean (figure 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract)
Pasta frolla sufficient to line and cover a 9-inch pan
Confectioner's sugar for dustingPan di Spagna

Put the ricotta through a strainer and mix it with the sugar (Ada Boni, in her recipe, suggests you beat the sugar and ricotta until the mixture is light and fluffy). Stir in the vanilla, candied fruit and chocolate, mixing well to distribute them evenly.

Roll out your pasta frolla and line a 9-inch cake pan with it. Lay down a layer of crumbled pan di spagna over the dough, spoon the ricotta mixture over it, and cover everything with a second sheet of pasta frolla. Bake in a moderate (370 F, 185 C) oven until the pasta frolla is lightly browned (don't let it over brown or it will become quite hard). Remove it from the pan when it has cooled and dust it with the confectioner's sugar.

HOLY SHIT. MARRY ME, LEFTY*. FEED ME ONLY THIS**.

*You may have to marry Anne OMalley as well.
**Also cannoli and sfogiatelle.

Lefty Frizzell said:
candied melon rind
candied orange peel

what on earth does candied mean? sounds nice anyways...

i have only one recipie. it was given to me by my mother and she herself got it out of a book... its for banana bread and it goes like this...

ingrediants:
125g butter
125g soft brown sugar
50g hazelnuts
225g self raising flour
1tsp baking powder
1tsp cinnamon
2 large eggs (beaten)
75g sultanas
2 ripe bananas (mashed)
a drop of milk

what you do then is you preheat the oven to 180c, mix the sugar and butter, then you add in all the rest of the stuff (except for a few hazelnuts) and mix it all up well. put it in a tin, then sprinkle the remaining hazelnuts on top and stick it in the oven for 40 mins to an hour (not sure exactly just dont burn it).

i love rice crispie buns, its my sisters birthday tomorrow and my niece spent the evening making rice crispie buns.
.|..|

All two American women I know who are studying for PhD's in UCD love baking. It's a bit strange.

Anyway, I have to bake some Irish stuff for this Friday - boxty, or bile cakes, or some such fodder. Any suggestions?

I miss my granny's baked bread.

She doesn't live at home no more, so she can't bake it. I don't live at home either, so I can't eat it.

:(

toura loora!

dancing%20leprechaun.jpg

i love bendy cookies.

they have to be bendy otherwise what's the fucking point?

*ps jane, you're married to ME rememer? we can get a divorce though, you can marry dave, then i'll sleep with him behind your back as long as he makes me that yummy thing he mentioned earlier.

Brownies, brownies, brownies. Cornbread, cornbread, cornbread. I know a lot of my baking recipes are about as American as they get, but so-called 'traditional' American baked goods are really something spectacular. They're also ridiculously easy to do. I can't remember a time in my life when I didn't know how to bake, and as soon as I was allowed to use the oven unassisted (both my parents worked, so it was in their interest to let us cook by ourselves), I started inventing my own cookie recipes. I wish I could remember what they were. Some of them were total disasters, but some were fucking incredible. And if a 9-year old with no appreciation for precision can do it, anyone can.

I have a tummyache because I baked both cornbread AND brownies, and I ate too many, and now I'm wondering why my clothes are getting tighter, when I have my answer, and it is made of chocolate. And cornmeal.

FATASS BROWNIES (slightly adapted from the Hot Damn and Hell Yeah cookbook, but hardly at all, so to claim credit would be wrong of me)

3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 2/3 cup sugar
2 tablespoons water
2 eggs (large)
2 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup- 1 cup cocoa
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt (I used about half of this because the tritamyl flour makes things taste a bit saltier)
1 1/3 cup flour (if using the tritamyl or wheat-free variety, add 1tsp xanthan gum)
lots of walnuts

Preheat oven 175 degrees.

Mix oil, sugar, and water in bowl. Add eggs and vanilla.

Sift dry ingredients into separate bowl (except nuts), then stir into other bowl a bit at a time. Then fold in the nuts.

Grease a 9"x13" (or thereabouts) baking tin with more vegetable oil, and bake for about 20 minutes. Don't overbake them. Turn the tray around once halfway through baking to make sure they bake evenly. Cool for a while, then cut and shove into mouth.

Fucking awesome. I use vegetable oil because whatever properties it has makes baked goods softer and chewier than butter does. Not always, but at least in the case of brownies. Possibly cookies, too, but I still use butter in those because I like the taste. Also, keeping eggs to a minimum makes your brownies/cookies denser.

I did once make cookies using vegetable oil, and then making my own egg subsititutes (I was too lazy to go to the shop) from oil, water and baking powder (I think), and they were seriously chewy and gooey and yummy.

YUMMY YUMMY CORNBREAD

5 oz flour (again, add a little over a teaspoon of xanthan gum if using the tritamyl or wheat-free kind)
9 oz cornmeal*
1/2 tsp baking soda
34/tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt (reduce by about half if using the tritamyl flour)
3 large eggs
12 oz buttermilk
3 tablespoons of honey (I use a bit more than this)
2-3 tablespoons melted butter

Sift flour, cornmeal, soda, baking powder, salt (and xanthan gum, if using). In separate bowl, whisk eggs, buttermilk, honey, melted butter. Honey can be tough to work with because it sticks to the spoon, so dip measuring spoon into boiling water before measuring out the honey. It'll slide off very clean.

Combine the two bowls of ingredients, stirring until the lumps are gone. Then pour into a greased baking dish (the recipe I use calls for 12"x15", but I think mine is more like 12"x12", and it works fine). Bake in preheated oven at 180 degrees for about 25-30 minutes. Your cornbread is done when a toothpick/fork/other pointy object inserted in centre comes out clean. Cut and serve warm, with butter. Yum yum yum. Good for breakfast with butter and something like blueberry or raspberry conserve, but I served mine with bean chili last night, and it was yummy.

*Use coarse polenta. I've never tried making cornbread with the instant variety, but I can't imagine it would work as well because it's already cooked, and half the fun of cornbread is in the big grains of cornmeal that give it a lovely texture. You can get the coarse stuff in Roy Fox in Donnybrook, but I'm sure you can get it in other places as well. It's not that expensive, and a kilo will last you ages. I'm also suspicious of instant polenta because it's harder to mix stuff like gorgonzola into something that cooks in two minutes.

The chocolate cake from the Cake Scoffer cookbook thing is amazing. The one with the banana in it, it's even more deadly made with brown flour as they suggest it can be. I was sceptical but oh my...
However I don't have the cookbook so...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back