a taste of dublin (1 Viewer)

Went to this yesterday. Bit of a rip off. Total rip off in fact. 30 Europes in and not much in the way of free nosh. Had to get a proper feed in the market bar after. Was an enjoyable way to spend a Sunday afternoon all the same. The pig on the spit freaked me out. It still had its face on.

THEY HAD A BLEEDIN SPITROAST???
Oh Jesus, I definitely would have gone for that!
It's a pig! If it had no face I'd be worried.
The cheeks are the most tender part!

THEY HAD A BLEEDIN SPITROAST???
Oh Jesus, I definitely would have gone for that!
It's a pig! If it had no face I'd be worried.
The cheeks are the most tender part!
Yeah but it still had its beady black eyes in. They were looking at me every time it turned over. Did smell delish but we didn't stick around for a bit of pig on a stick. Wouldn't go to this again unless the ticket was free.

The eyes.
Were they like Mona Lisa?
Following you around, everywhere you go.
It's the pig's enigmatic smile that gets me.
Pig_on_spitroast.JPG

If it didn't have a mouth full of steel it would say HOORAY!

The street performance festival was a better alternative. Some nice falafels and a burger for half the price of a ticket to the taste of dublin festival. Plus free entertainment all afternoon.

Jesus.

It's totally illogical. "Hey folks! We were invited here by a for-profit outfit to promote our products to you, the public. And so here we are, offering you the privilege of paying for a place you've already paid for with your tax money, so that we can promote our amazing products just for you! What a treat for you! Here, is that money left in your pocket? I thought we talked about that! Yes, we need that money, too! We need it more than you do because we are aaaaarteeeezaaaanz!"

So they get corporate sponsors to pay their costs and then probably the restaurants/vendors have to pay for their spaces, and then everyone has to pay in, and then everyone has to pay for everything they touch, all made in less-than-ideal conditions in a temporary outdoor marquee.

That's not a festival, that's a fucking racket.

An outdoor festival is when shit is free in and everyone can bring their families and friends and possibly the dog, and people wander around and maybe buy a few things and hogs all the cheese samples, and kids run around with sno-cone stained faces and mammies and daddies are trying to clean chocolate off their own hands and the teenage punks pretend they don't know their own families and hide from their teachers while being fascinated because the teachers are spotted outside of school, and the other folk realise it's nice to take a break from being cool, and some cheesy bands play and people sit on blankets and have picnics and ants get in the potato salad and everybody laughs about it and there are pony rides, and there is a dunking game with a mouthy jerk who's been soaked a million times by cackling adolescents who can't get enough, and lots of things don't cost anything because it's only right to have a balance so that it isn't just one big outdoor shopping mall but it only costs like a tenner to get a stall anyway so there's everything from homemade t-shirts and bric a brac to artisan chocolates, and everyone hates the clowns even though it wouldn't be the same if they weren't there and the stiltwalker may or may not be a pervert and everybody generally has a good time and feels a kind of corny sense of civic pride and togetherness, so that when the skies open and it starts to rain everyone just thinks it's funny and half the kids are asleep before they leave and the other half have to be dragged out with screamy exhaustion with their painted faces getting all stained from the weeping and the parents are trying not to laugh and people start looking forward to the next one before they've even got home.

THAT IS A FUCKING FESTIVAL.

OH, and on the Aftertaste of Dublin's Piss website, I learned that a VIP ticket is 82 quid. AND that this afternoon was 'family day', where kids under 12 could come free with a ticketed adult. Other times, only children under TWO were allowed in free, and there was no kids' price. Your picky four-year old pays the same as you.

That said, there's an awesome Murder, She Wrote on right now. WHAT WOULD JB FLETCHER DO?

Jane, I like you but I cannot commit to reading that.
We owe each other a modicum of succinctness.

Jane, I like you but I cannot commit to reading that.
We owe each other a modicum of succinctness.

It's okay. I've decided that I'm going to try the Taste of Dublin methods for a while. I am no longer a Thumped poster, I am a producer of artisanal forum nourishment. It's all organic, ecofriendly, and most definitely recycled.

So it's 30 quid for clicking on this thread, and it would be five Thumpedollars (€1=1.3578 Thumpedollars) for reading that post.

You've saved yourself a few quid.

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to debit your account 6 Thumpedollars for reading this post, ex VAT.

what do people think of the colonisation of streets and squares by cafes and restaurants? temple bar square has got ridiculous. presumably they rent them off the council. where does the money go?

They use the money to subsidise arts degrees.
These students then grow up to be the kind of continental wannabes who
think that sitting outside amongst junkies under a Tupperware sky grazing and
sipping their €10 Sandwich and Latteé lunch is a good idea.
And thus the cycle continues.

Myself and diddles went to one that was in dublin castle a few years ago. It was a load of kak. we ended up spending the florins on booze. The one place we wanted to get food from couldn't sell us food because they were there to display what they sell and not do samples.

The place was full of cunts aswell.

It's okay. I've decided that I'm going to try the Taste of Dublin methods for a while. I am no longer a Thumped poster, I am a producer of artisanal forum nourishment. It's all organic, ecofriendly, and most definitely recycled.

So it's 30 quid for clicking on this thread, and it would be five Thumpedollars (€1=1.3578 Thumpedollars) for reading that post.

You've saved yourself a few quid.

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to debit your account 6 Thumpedollars for reading this post, ex VAT.

That was rude of me.
I was a little drunk after Bloomsday pinting.

what do people think of the colonisation of streets and squares by cafes and restaurants? temple bar square has got ridiculous. presumably they rent them off the council. where does the money go?

I think they rent the space off temple bar cultural trust. At least that's who the book stalls pay IIRC.

Just looking at their website they also "own" four "public" spaces. :confused:

Supporting Culture in Temple Bar

Temple Bar Cultural Trust is a private limited company that works on a not-for-profit basis to support culture here in Temple Bar.

We value self-reliance and we fund all of our core activity from our property income.

We support culture in 4 ways:
First, we look after the 14 nationally important cultural buildings and 4 public spaces that we own. We provide discounts worth €2m to the artists and cultural organisations that use our buildings and space. Many of these organisations are of national significance and this is recognised by the Arts Council who provide over €9m annually (15% of the national allocation of revenue grants) to support their work.

Second, we commission new work in all artforms and we like to work with others to co-present, co-produce and co-commission new work.

Third, we organise over 250 free outdoor cultural events each year, including Diversions which is Ireland’s biggest and longest free outdoor cultural event!

Fourth, we run the Temple Bar Cultural Information Centre, a unique drop-in Centre where you’ll find friendly expert staff to help you make the most of your time in Temple Bar.

Temple Bar Cultural Trust is governed by a Board appointed by Dublin City Council and has a full-time core staff of 13 plus weekend and seasonal staff and stewards.

I won tickets for the Cork version. I'd imagine it'll be the same breed of cunt at it. It's on in the Cork City Gaol though to which i've never been so score on that front.

Yeah this is a frequent rant of mine...The fucking Quays pub have tables across the street from the pub..WTF..

Just looking at their website they also "own" four "public" spaces.

How this is this work out? So parts of the streets in Templ bar are private property?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back