A Question..How Do You ListenTo Music? (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 54
  • Views 3K
  • Watchers 4

GO

Now Is Go
Supporter
Solutions
What devices do you use and how much/when?
What format do you use the most and which do you prefer?
How do you discover new sounds?

I'm just trying to get a picture of where people are at these days,especially in choice of reproduction device..have the big hi-fis of old gone out the window for instance?

I mainly listen to 320kb mp3s on my laptop either through cans or into a little 2.1 speaker set.
And a bit in the car.
I discover most music on the radio believe it or not..and youtube and soundcloud.

In the car mostly.

When I'm working its usually instrumental music as lyrics/singing can be distracting. iTunes usually out of the laptop, into a mixer & amplified through a couple of Tannot speakers. Mp3 mostly, but nothing less than 320 - I have a few Flacs for special occasions, but I find the format awkward, so CDs in the car.

I don't discover "new" music, I merely expand on what I know by association. Last.fm subscription has been handy for that.

I have an ipod touch with no music on it, just podcasts. And I stream music from Goodle music with that in the house with a DAB radio with a dock.

CDs in the car, in bed at night and in the kitchen while cooking. Vinyl when sitting down and relaxing, partying or hanging out in the sitting room. MP3s while walking around with headphones. Stream music online only while browsing, wouldn't really use my laptop to listen to music much as the sound is shit.

Rarely listen to the radio. Generally discover music through word of mouth, record companies or media reviews.

I only buy vinyl. 90% of what I listen to is through nice separates. I also listen to digital radio in the kitchen and pick up a lot of new music that way. Also a few reliable blogs and websites.
I have an iPod but only use that when I'm on public transport. No comparison obviously. The fact that most people listen to music straight out of a laptop nowadays is tragic.

my listening is done generally in the car, or at work - 80% of in car listening is radio, the rest CD.
in work, it's 50% mp3s i have on my computer (from a choice of about 20 albums), or youtube.

hopefully i'll find a new place to live soon and will be able to go back to using the hi-fi and dedicating time to actually listening to music while doing nothing else.

I hoover up downloads of out-of-print music off of blogs, always with a view to getting hard copy of stuff I like if I can find it - the albums that pass the shit-o-meter go on my MP3 player which is kept on shuffle for the kitchen and the car. For ear-treats it's CD and vinyl on my seperates; biggest treat is DJ-ing of 7" singles.
I have so little faith in new music that I'm happy to let the mountain come to Muhammed. I'm too old for newness for it's own sake and bored silly of regurgitated pap. I hope I am just too much of a fogey to get with whatever's vital today because it can't be as impoverished as it looks.

iPhone, Dre Beatz, behind the drumkit learning choons. Other than that, it's usually a guy playing country music to backing trax at the Waxies Dargle.

grooveshark is king for me these days - via laptop plugged into the stereo at home, cans at work

I know it's daft having a decent stereo and putting grooveshark's shitty quality streams through it, but fuck rationality, I just wants to dance

Monday-Friday for 7 hours at work I am plugged into my computer listening to MP3s, podcasts and youtube.
I don't have telly so if not watching a DVD or reading a book my radio or ipod is playing in the background. More Radio these days.
I find new music mostly from friends (I swap mixes often), blogs and podcasts.
I move too much to own albums/CDs in physical form.

One or twice a week I'll get pissed with the missus and play records and cds..the tape deck hasn't been used in years

Often listen to stuff on youtube when I'm working at the pc for things that I don't have or new stuff

90% talking podcasts 10% music through the speakers in the iMac a lowish volume during the day.
Driving it's "recently added" playlist, which is set to 6 months, on random. I have insane EQ of bass at -7 and treble at +5 because my ears explode every few months. (320 mp3s)
Kitchen has a dock thingy with ok sound out of it.

for someone whos been involved with music in one way or another for most of his adult life I dont spend heaps of time specifically listening to it. i grew up in a house with the radio one 24/7 and thats my go-to for background noise. also, given the choice between listening to music, and picking up one of the many stringed instruments scattered arround the raz gaff, I tend to go for the stumming option.
-ancient iPod shuffle when running or ocasionally in work - dont listen to music outdoors otherwise, i feel i need to be able to hear whats going on arround me.
-laptop in work, particularly if Im doing anything involved or want to listen to anything new Ive picked up on CD
-CD's in the car.
- vinyl for the relaxing, parties, good times.
also can only absorb music at the rate of 1/2 albums a month, so that slows down my uptake of new stuff.

Ear buds for majority of my listening whilst walking around / in work. Spotify on iPhone when I'm mobile, spotify on laptop when I'm at home. If i'm doing the housework/cooking I'll use a hifi input from iphone to play spotify. When I get up I immediately turn on the radio app on iPhone for news (Morning Ireland is my go to show at the moment, gave up on NewsTalk with their excessive adbreaks) Radio played through iPhone speakers so I can stick it in my arse pocket and move about the gaff whilst I get ready.

This is fascinating reading..thanks.Its patently clear from this snapshot that theres no two people enjoying tunes the same way..theres all manner of equipment being used,all kinds of formats and God knows what.
When I first got into music it was records,tapes,cds and radio.That was it.Usually listened too through a stereo whilst stationary.Mad.

In answer to J.Raz..I just kinda acquire a few tunes here and there as I go along.I downloaded two lps last month..both by the excellent Mitch Murder.Discovered through Facebook.

Mostly streamed for me, very seldom put in a CD anymore.

I have a Denon CD player with Q Acoustic speakers and a Logitech Squeezebox plugged into that which allows me to stream tunes/podcasts/radio from the laptop (or without) Very handy.

I use Grooveshark and awful lot aswell.

iphone + half decent philips earbuds for commute

no music in work

PC desktop speakers at home whenever the radio is off & telly isn't on.

Ripped all my CDs to mp3 years ago so dip into that regularly. Listen to bandcamp / soundcloud stuff that gets sent to me, Spotify when i want to look something up.

Usually if I'm at home and am in the mood for just listening to music I'll listen to my vinyl. If I'm dicking around on the computer I listen to MP3's. Generally no worse than VO. Either with a decent set of Sennhauser earphones or my MP3 player earbuds, whichever is closest to me.

If I'm out I always have my MP3 player with me, this is probably the time that I listen to music most as these days my daily schedule involves either walking the dog for the best part of an hour twice a day or walking him once and going for a run. When I do listen to CD's these days it's mostly in the car.

In terms of purchasing music the ideal situation for in future would be vinyl that comes with a download code.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back