A Question..How Do You ListenTo Music? (4 Viewers)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 54
  • Views 3K
  • Watchers 4
most of the time I spend listening is when I'm out and about so it's iPhone with decent quality earphones. If I could afford it I'd have an iPod (loaded with high quality mp3s) and £300 noise cancelling headphones.

At home I've started to buy most things on vinyl over the last few months and have been using my record player lots after a long period of neglect. Pretty much all of my cds are in Ireland so I'll sometimes hook up my laptop to the stereo and play mp3s through it.

New sounds - most of the bands I've gotten into lately have been through seeing them play as support bands and buying their records. i should probably make more use of Spotify. Also just got a digital radio so I listen to that while cooking which hasn't led to any purchases yet.

Vinyl at home. Cd's in the car. Mp3s with crappy headphones from my iPhone occasionally when out and about, but not often ....

iphone + half decent philips earbuds for commute

no music in work

PC desktop speakers at home whenever the radio is off & telly isn't on.

Ripped all my CDs to mp3 years ago so dip into that regularly. Listen to bandcamp / soundcloud stuff that gets sent to me, Spotify when i want to look something up.

How are you doing this in Ireland?

I'll listen to vinyl at home and CDs in the car but the majority of my listening happens via the laptop at work, where I'll listen to mp3s or sometimes soundclouds/bandcamps/youtubes. Getting into the habit lately of chain-youtubing, i.e., listening to something and then seeing something else interesting in the related videos sidebar.

New music - generally through recommendations from friends.

I also enjoy getting into old music that's new or new-ish to me.

I also enjoy getting into old music that's new or new-ish to me.

I also like that. Most of the "new" music I've gotten recently is actually old. Cheap CDs/Vinyls are great for that.

I'm seeing that most people listen to CDs in the car and mp3s via crappy speakers the rest of the time. Is the car now the best place to listen to music? I usually listen to my iphone into one of those fake cassette things in the car but whenever I remember to feed the CD changer I listen to that and the difference in sound quality is very noticeable.

Yeah..I think the crappy speakers/car combination might be the leader.Some speaker systems available for computers are very very good though ..I have fine Dell set.It makes me wonder why hi-fi's didnt always just ship with the sub and two satellite speaker combination.The bass is definitely reproduced better this way.

I listened to an entire Frank Black LP on my phone speaker recently..to try and get a feel for what I see kids doing.I could easily make out the lyrics and melody although it was far from a satisfying experience.But it did the trick.If I knew no better I'd have been happy enough I suppose.

I planned to go music shopping in town tonight. Had no idea what I wanted to buy. Ended up staying home and buying 2 albums off iTunes.

I buy/acquire approximately 100 albums per year. I listen mostly in work and the car. New stuff gets listened to in work (on the iPod). Stuff I know and like gets played in the car (on CD). I don't stream much but occasionally follow a link here or on twitter to bandcamp.

I listen to the radio for about 40 minutes in the morning (from around 6am to 6:40am - radio 1) and about 20 minutes in the evening (again, radio 1).

I only occasionally buy vinyl and usually only at gigs.

Driving - nothing. Bought a CD player for the car but not installed it yet. I only drive for about 15 minutes per day so it doesn't really matter.

Bus / walking - discman with CDs.

Home - mostly turntable. Sometimes the CD player. Both part of a separate system with speakers.

I use my portable turntable when playing 45s upstairs. I also bring it to record fairs or when going on holidays.

Monday to Friday I listen to about 2.5 hours of music each day while commuting. About 1.5 hours each evening at home on the turntable.
Weekends / days off - I get through more.

Driving - CDs and radio. Newstalk mainly. I really like talk radio, always have.

Work - CDs via the computer with no extra speakers. Its fairly quiet but makes the day go by better.

Home - CDs & some MP3's through an iMac with 7 speakers connected to it. Four 9 inch computer speakers across the front & a cheap trust 2:1 surround kit, sub woofer on the floor and I split the dual black wire and have the 2 small speakers at the back in the left & right corners.

I've gotten back into listening to vinyl so in the same room I have a cheap stage light turntable going into the phono auxiliary of a Phillips 3 in 1 stereo with double cassette (showing it's age). it has 4 hifi speakers connected, the two originals spread out about 6.5 ft across the desk & two JPW speakers at the back left & right corners. So I play records & CD's through that. It's nice to be surrounded by sound.

I don't own an iPod or MP3 player. Not a hipster protest, I just wouldn't have much use for them.

Lately I've been making an effort to find some newer music, albums put out in the last 2 or 3 years. Mainly through reading online reviews and having a listen. Really liking Beach House, Twin Sister, Ariel Pink...ect, It all sounds like old stuff anyway.

have about 15-20 fave albums on the phone (mostly irish actually, looking through) which either go into 2.1's in the sittingroom/kitchen or the studio monitors upstairs (moved bed into recording studio recently ftw!) For headphones sony mdr 20's or stock ones if i'm expecting phonecalls.
mini mac in sittingroom has all my cd's in 320miles per hour which can be wifi'd via the laptop/itunes around the house to any of said speakers. vynil/cd/tape options in the kitchen.
yes i'm single.

music finding in a number of ways:
If i find something i dont know enough about, i'll hit youtube, and if i like it i'll go downloading.
commercial radio.
REad endless wikipedia stuff and sometimes go digging on the back of some obscure fact.
like this silly cokehead synthpop from 80's italy:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

i have a few massive compilations in the mini mac. pop and all that to break the random play out of my collection.
blogs/tumblrs - follow a few tumblrs, sometimes cool stuff comes from there.
soundcloud - if you just hit play on that thing, and ignore it all kinds of cool stuff comes out.
house parties - drink cans with people and music is inevitable.

most recently - prince - prince, like the beatles is so deep in pop culture that you can miss him. recent live versions of old songs are amazing. watched syracuse 1985 the other night on youtube. first 20 minutes are pretty explosive, then when the riding starts it gets weird. ed sharpe and the magnetic zero's - some amazing songs, and some of the most blatant rip offs ever.

In work - it depends what I'm doing, but podcasts and music via headphones. Save for a few months in 2005 I've always had jobs that allow me to use headphones and i can't concieve of not being able to.

At home - we listen to LPs and we stream our itunes library through the phones as well. A while ago I digitized all my cds and put them in the attic. Don't like it. Yes there's more space, but now when new cds are bought they just sit around with no home. I'm building more shelves and CDs are coming down from the attic.

In the car - recently bought cds, Newstalk/Nova, or more often when there are kids in the car, any one of 10 or so kids albums we have.

When I communted on buses I read more and listened to more music.

while interesting, this thread has no relection on reality. the majority of people have either a shitty ipod dock shaped like a cat, laptop speakers, a radio in the car set below conversation level and nightclubs/pubs etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back