A Question..How Do You ListenTo Music? (2 Viewers)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 54
  • Views 3K
  • Watchers 4
iphone with fancy headphones probably the majority of the time
old ipod with a parrot system in the car
cds,vinyl and itunes over the hifi at home, though starting to get into spotify.
used to use 360 media player, but the bigger the mp3 library is the more clunkly it becomes to run

lo-bit mp3s in the van (can't tell 320 from 160 over the din) every day, on 5y.o. archos, either shuffle all or shuffle by genre.

vinyl-only at home until recently (family friday 45s is a weekly fixture) but just dusted off the cd separate after 5+ years in a box. have a load of cds that hadn't seen the inside of a cd player.

have a load of tape-only things from 15-20 years ago that i'm slowly digitising via a walkman.

this year i will buy maybe 6 albums, all vinyl by bands i know i already like.

At home:
- Vinyl on stereo
- CDs/mp3s on PS3
- Tape player is broken so I'm looking for a new deck for the stereo

In car:
- CDs in stereo

In work:
- mp3s on iPod/laptop through headphones

On foot/public transport:
- mp3s on iPod

90% + on vinyl through an eccentric, but pretty good set of separates including two HUGE old Fisher speakers in the living room, or on a slightly more ragged system in the bedroom. CDs - usually comps/ demos/ stuff burned from the internet - in the car. Don't own an iPod or equivalent, never listen to more a few seconds of something on a laptop to see what it's like. Never on headphones - aggravates the tinnitus from too many nights in rehearsals rooms standing too close to the drummer.

......and I appear to have bought about 50 records in the last month, only two of them *new* (as in not second hand - one was a comp of stuff from 25 years ago and one an even older reggae reissue)

I reckon the collection grows by about 500 per annum, offset by selling/ giving away nearly as many.

This last week I've got into streaming in a big way. 15 day "premium+" trial on Deezer (an alternative to Spotify) has made me rethink my consumption patterns. I got tired of waiting for Spotify to come here (have done the whole 'Belfast address' thing, found it too much hassle), so am going to sign up with these lads.

Am now finding myself just plugging my iphone or ipod into the amp and pulling up a playlist or favourited album from the ether. They stream mp3s at 320 if you pay for premium (€9.99 per month). Obviously not going to sound as good as vinyl but the quality is very decent and the library is enormous. €2.50 a week for basically anything you're after, and the option to download any album to your computer or phone for offline listening.

Will still buy the odd LP for the collection but think this is the way forward for me. Moved house a month ago and still haven't unpacked my cd collection, doubt i will now.

Deezer thing looks cool. Is it possible to create an account with doing it through Facebook? Seem to remember this problem with Netflix thing too and can't remember the solution. Just logging out of Facebook doesn't seem to work ...

There is a workaround, I saw it somewhere as I was reading up on Deezer, but I wouldn't know where exactly to point you. I just went with the facebook option. I suppose you could set up a fake facebook account if you were wary of privacy issues. As far as I can tell, Deezer's as good as Spotify. The mobile app is really well-designed and super quick too.

Yeah have it running now ... it's deadly. Swans back catalogue for the day it is ...

Deezer iPhone app + stream to AppleTV + hifi separates ... great!

I just remembered another way.... Starbucks Song of the Week. They give away free download cards of a song each week. 2 out of every 10 is okay. This week is Conor Maynard. No idea who this kid is (looks about 12) but I am laughing at the autotune, fake emotion and lyrics of drowning.

This Deezer thing is completely kicking my ass. Over the last few days I've been listening to Levon Helm, Swans, Roky Erickson, Replacements, Doc Watson/Bill Monroe, Bert Jansch, Gillian Welch .... it's fantastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back