A Chicken (1 Viewer)

I was toying with the idea of getting duck but the last time I cooked duck, it didn't work out well. Much too fatty. I want to cook something which I can be confident will turn out delicious. Pity because ducks are more festive birds than chickens.

The secret to cooking duck is to use a roasting dish with a rack in the bottom. Then you pierce the skin all over with a fork to let the fat run out while it is cooking, which means that it will self baste, and the fat will collect under the duck, instead of the duck floating in it. The result is lovely duck with crispy skin.

The secret to cooking duck is to use a roasting dish with a rack in the bottom. Then you pierce the skin all over with a fork to let the fat run out while it is cooking, which means that it will self baste, and the fat will collect under the duck, instead of the duck floating in it. The result is lovely duck with crispy skin.
Thanks Squiggle. I'll buy myself a dish like that before I roast my next duck.

There's a super fancy organic butcher in Glasthule, you'd get a yum chicken there. Very expensive but worth it....

My brother works there at weekends. A few weeks ago he and the owner had to stay back after the shop closed to make up a 300 euro order for Ronnie Wood .|..|.|..|.|..|.|..|

They also sell that Kobe beef, 50 euro for a steak, mmmmmmmmmm

There's a super fancy organic butcher in Glasthule, you'd get a yum chicken there. Very expensive but worth it....

My brother works there at weekends. A few weeks ago he and the owner had to stay back after the shop closed to make up a 300 euro order for Ronnie Wood .|..|.|..|.|..|.|..|

They also sell that Kobe beef, 50 euro for a steak, mmmmmmmmmm
I might head out there soon. Thanks.

Duck is totally awesome. Where's a good place to get a decently priced whole duck?

Why not try goose instead? Best thing with duck or goose is you can use the fat to roast potatoes and other veg.

If it's chicken you want, there's a really good poultry shop on Camden St., going up towards the Bleeding Horse end, on the left hand side walking away from town. Near that Liston's place.

I've never got a whole chicken from there, but the chicken portions are very tasty so I'd imagine the whole chickens are too.

Lidl do amazing ducks for 8 euro.
Here's how to do a crispy skinned duck, Chinese style.

Defrost the duck! It'll take a while, but don't rush it or do anything mad like microwaving it lightly. And don't chop the neck skin off.

Boil up half a cup of red chinese vinegar with two teaspoons of sugar.

Pour the boiling vinegar over the duck skin making sure to catch the run off in another pot so you can boil it and pour it again. Do this 3 or 4 times all over. You're half way to crispy skin heaven.

While it's cooling down, roughly chop up about 3 inches of ginger and a head of garlic. Mix this with a good bit of five spice powder, star anise and salt. Turn the whole lot into a paste with a wee bit of soy sauce.

Pretend you're giving Mary Harney the frig of her life by rubbing the paste inside of the duck. When you're done, skewer the cavity, otherwise you're going to have very dry meat.

Here's the really important bit for crispy, crispy skin. Leave the duck to dry for at least one day, preferably two. You can put it in the fridge or leave it in a room with no heating on and wrap it up in kitchen towels (changing them twice a day). You can also do what my dad does and hang it up outside like some vile voodoo curse. He's a mentaler. Anyway, you need bone dry skin for this to work.

When all of this is done and you're days older than when you began, heat up your oven to 210 degrees Celsius. Lash the duck in for an hour and then turn the heat off. Don't open the door or leave the fan on. 30 mins later, you have perfect Chinese duck!

Pancakes, scallion, cucumber and plum sauce (I use Yellow Bean Sauce with Sesame Oil, not as sweet but just as nice)! Xmas as fuck.

Just to clarify you should use 2-3 tablespoons of five spice powder and maybe only 2-3 star anise pieces for the rub. Smash the star anise with the side of a cleaver or knife.

I bought a couple of massive multi-packs on super special offer last week before I went away. I didn't have time to separate them before lashing then in the freezer.

So last night I was in the kitchen separating them with a hammer and chisel. The noise, oh man.

Sometimes I think I should just keep my toolbag in the kitchen, I use it so often in there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back