A Chicken (1 Viewer)

Wobbler

Website
www.discogs.com
I think I'm going to roast a chicken for christmas dinner. I don't really like turkey anyway. What's my best bet for getting a really good one? Organic and all that. I don't mind spending a good bit of money.

we had chicken last year, much nicer than toorkey

mmm

maybe we'll go for something french this year, like le duck avec le stuffing
I was toying with the idea of getting duck but the last time I cooked duck, it didn't work out well. Much too fatty. I want to cook something which I can be confident will turn out delicious. Pity because ducks are more festive birds than chickens.

Try for cornfed if you can Wobbs.

Also cook it while its lying on each side and lastly on its back to ensure the breast meat stays nice and moist.
Thank you. I got a beautiful organic one in the Farmers' Market in Temple Bar on Saturday. It was €12 and one of the tastiest things I've ever eaten (really good value I think since I'm going to make a soup out of its carcass and leftovers). Anyway, just wondering if there's any way I can top that. I'm hoping for it to be as ethical and delicious as a chicken can get.

i'd say go to a butchers that you know is good, tell him what your after and he will order you anything you want.
you can also try some other game, like Pheasant, very tasty indeed.
myself and mates cook abig christmas dinner in one of our gaffs before we all head home to the mammy, been doing it for a good few years now. i cooked a duck and 2 pheasants last year. cooked the duck on a bed of tinly sliced potatoes so the roasted in the duck fat mmmmm...

have you every tried a chicken brick? there legend.
they look like this

my favourite chrimbo veg is celeriac mustrad mash. 1 large celeriac to 2 spuds, boil, mas good scoops of wholegrain mustard. moreish!!

Get a goose off a farmer, we always do goose on xmas day, turkey on new years day.

chickens: yeah go cornfed. Ask a fancy butcher you know or the guys in the market.

we always have chicken too and I usually cook it. Get a nice big organic fellers, and stuff it with a quartered onion, fresh rosemary, thyme and sage and a roughly chopped lemon. I always put butter under the skin and rub it with a good bit of salt, a load of olive oil and feck it into the oven - I do the stuffing separately.

I was toying with the idea of getting duck but the last time I cooked duck, it didn't work out well. Much too fatty. I want to cook something which I can be confident will turn out delicious. Pity because ducks are more festive birds than chickens.

You mean gay? I'm not sure if I want to eat something gay.

I'm sure any good butchers will either be able to supply you or know of someone else who can.

We've had goose for xmas dinner before and it's pretty tasty alright. Not as easy to cook as chicken though. Chicken is great for just fecking into the oven and forgetting about.

This year I'm making the xmas dinner for the family and doing a turkey with a white wine/butter baste. Basically I cook the turkey on each side for a few hours, and cover it with cheesecloth that has been soaking in wine and melted butter. Once it's cooked through on each side I lob it onto its back for the last hour and a half or so and keep basting it with butter (but take of the cheesecloth) so the skin goes nice and crispy. Then I make gravy with the juices from the bottom of the pan.

I've also cooked chicken like this and it's only gorgeous.

i roasted a chicken yesterday.
it was fantastic. roasted baby spuds and cloves of garlis and cherry tomatoes thrown in on top. 175 degrees for 2hours 15 mins (6lb burd).
deadly. the best part is get to make a big lovely sambo now!

i roasted a chicken yesterday.
it was fantastic. roasted baby spuds and cloves of garlis and cherry tomatoes thrown in on top. 175 degrees for 2hours 15 mins (6lb burd).
deadly. the best part is get to make a big lovely sambo now!

Did you share?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back