A britpop boxset...with no blur or oasis ? (1 Viewer)

they took the riff from a fairly good Wire song and turned it into a deadly pop song with Connection

edit: heh, check it

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Boo Radleys...fuck off Boo(unreleased)

I like the Boo Radleys. Listened to C'Mon Kids the other week. It's a very good album - Meltin's Worm is one of the best songs about a stomach worm who outgrows his schoolboy host and goes to school instead of him. I also enjoy their horribly-produced final effort, Kingsize. I think Giant Steps is a bit too long and I have never heard Wake Up.

The one song that redeems Space imho

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

still have that irritating guitarist though

Hey wasnt Britpop just a moronic buzzword cooked up by the hack music press that for a brief time replaced the equally ambiguous term Indie?

Also all that TFI friday , Mtv Uk ,mid to late 90s stuff was a pile of xxxxe

Remember Kylie kissed Ginger Spice on TFI Friday?!?!?!
And remember how Will was the fall guy for all the jokes?!?!?
And remember how it introduced the world to Kula Shaker and Texas?!?!?
And remember Chris Evans married that schoolgirl?!?!?
Great days.
I did watch it every week. Shooting Stars and the Fast Show were on later on. Fridays have never been the same.
Can't beat the past, eh?

One thing that doesn't look well from those amazing times is the fonts used on album covers. Yuck.

i wish i still had my collection of these:

_40682146_select_203300.jpg

:-(

also, i may have missed it but i'm suprised no one has mentioned Me Me Me yet..
a lot of my respect and britpop cds were hidden in a box under my bed the day i heard that single.

been listening to a lot of Parklife this week. i'll probably listen to it for a week and then it'll iritate me so much i'll rather smash the cd up and eat it rather than have to listen to it again

It's funny, but if you say 'name some Britpop bands' to most people, Oasis Blur and Pulp will come up pretty often. What's the connection? Obviously this is because NME, Select etc; decreed it so but the fact is that none of those bands had any relation to each other whatsoever. Three different sounds, three different cities, backgrounds. Most scenes and genres are pretty redundant when you peel back the layers but Britpop doesn't even count. It never existed. Look again at the bands on those cds, most of them from all over the place both geographically and stylistically. The only glue that holds a lot of them together is the fact that they existed at the same time. A collection of some genuinely talented British bands, mixed with some of the most god awful guitar bands of the last twenty years. There's a core group in there - the likes of Shed Seven, Ocean Colour Scene and Cast that I would lump together is some way - revisionist retro indie crud? Anyone? See there we go again, square peg, round peg. This is all just my opinion of course, but I just remember the whole period as an excuse for rubbish bands to wave the Union Jack or embrace their local town mentality and have a go! Which is fine, if you're any good that is...

British music is the best because they gave the world The Beatles and the Kinks. England for Euro '96 because it's their devine right to win it. Jo Guest. Frank Skinner. It's coming home, it's coming home, music's coming home. Who are ya? Who are ya? Great days, every teeth gritting moment of it.

Well, before about 1994 British music was in a Dark Ages. I have NMEs from that time, 92,93,94, and most of the British groups dressed like Kurt Cobain and sounded like Ned's Atomic Dustbin. There were hardly any colour photos in the NME those days, rather fittingly. It was horrible by the looks of things. Although the Britpop bands often sounded wildly different to each other, they were, at least, now trying to sound like British bands such as Wire, the Kinks, Beatles, Stones, Bowie, etc. etc.

And what that compilation doesn't show (thankfully) is that behind every shit band like Northern Uproar (who did have some good songs) and Menswe@r (who didn't) there were a whole heap of sound-a-likes forming every week trying to copy them. Which is fairly mind-boggling, I know, but I believe Britpop does exist, maybe not as a musical tag but certainly as a phenomenon and that it's much more than that these bands were around at the same time. Hey, I was 13 in 1995. My first NME was guest-edited by Blur. I got my first guitar a couple of months later. IF it had been Catherine Wheel or somebody on the front....I'd probably be in work right now.

What am I trying to say? Britpop was ace.

Well, before about 1994 British music was in a Dark Ages. I have NMEs from that time, 92,93,94, and most of the British groups dressed like Kurt Cobain and sounded like Ned's Atomic Dustbin..

In fairness to music, NME hasnt been an indicator of anything but a load of bollocks for a very long time. If pre-Britpop was a dark age then Britpop was the sound of the sun exploding.

In fairness to music, NME hasnt been an indicator of anything but a load of bollocks for a very long time. .

Completely true. But in 1995 NME was still very very good. I still read a lot of the then writers now in other publications/on good websites.

Elastica made better Wire songs than Wire?

In my opinion, Yeah. In the scheme of things Wire are obviously more important, innovative ect but I've always found them a bit dry and sciencey for my taste. Elastica added that pop edge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland