2020-21 Football thread (1 Viewer)

On El Tel dying.. I think there was a bit of a sliding doors moment when we got Trap instead of him managing Ireland (thanks partly to classic Eamon Dunphy ranting) - I know he was a wideboy Cockney geezer and all that but I suspect he would've done quite well with Ireland..
Venables was sooo English (Sun columnist etc) I doubt it would have worked out.
Paul Walsh (Spurs) used to slag Venables off at every opportunity but publicly apologised when he gave up drinking and turned his life around.

Sorry to hear Terry is gone.
Barca's 1986 run to the European Cup Final was first time I watched one of his team's.
Spurs sacking Pleat to bring him in was a mistake.

Venables won the 1985 Liga and 1991 FA Cup.
Trappatoni won... far too much to mention. I think getting Trap on board when the money was there was a no brainer.

Not surprisingly we expected more than we got based on his track record.

I don't bother writing tributes to Terry Venables or Bobby Charlton as everyone knows them already and they rightly get their dues across the board.

Tel probably thought at the end:
"Well fuck me, I had a great time!"

Wonder what Ian Wright (and maybe Andy Cole) will say. Venables gave Wrighty even less of chance than Graham Taylor did.

On El Tel dying.. I think there was a bit of a sliding doors moment when we got Trap instead of him managing Ireland (thanks partly to classic Eamon Dunphy ranting) - I know he was a wideboy Cockney geezer and all that but I suspect he would've done quite well with Ireland..
They talked about the Dunphy rant on Second Captains yesterday so I paused the episode as soon as they mentioned it to watch the whole thing.

I must have seen it before but had no memory of it. Straight onto my YouTube favourites list for future reference because it's so good. Too many highlights but the general shitstirring from Bill is superb. And Dunphy being all respectful to Giles...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Antonin Panenka best bits.

A Czech pal of mine (in his fifties) used to watch Panenka play for Bohemians.
I asked him did he do maverick stuff (like the above) all the time? "Yes".
He was telling the truth.
Panenka wasn't that mobile apparently, but did amazing things with the ball at his feet.
I asked the Czech guy if he knew Kevin Sheedy?

Always find it very funny that Bohs from Prague have the same kit as Shamrock Rovers.
The green and white striped kit was Panenka's other club Rapid Vienna.

They talked about the Dunphy rant on Second Captains yesterday so I paused the episode as soon as they mentioned it to watch the whole thing.

I must have seen it before but had no memory of it. Straight onto my YouTube favourites list for future reference because it's so good. Too many highlights but the general shitstirring from Bill is superb. And Dunphy being all respectful to Giles...

Dunphy laid out his case very well in his opening statement.
Job done.
But then he got really worked up.

After England Venables had little success as a manager.

Venables being disqualified as a company director alone (which was a big story at time) should have ruled him out.
Portsmouth nearly went bankrupt when Venables owned the club. He had bought 51% of PFC for £1.
As a businessman he was a Tel Boy

Antonin Panenka best bits.

A Czech pal of mine (in his fifties) used to watch Panenka play for Bohemians.
I asked him did he do maverick stuff (like the above) all the time? "Yes".
He was telling the truth.
Panenka wasn't that mobile apparently, but did amazing things with the ball at his feet.
I asked the Czech guy if he knew Kevin Sheedy?

Always find it very funny that Bohs from Prague have the same kit as Shamrock Rovers.
The green and white striped kit was Panenka's other club Rapid Vienna.

Those outside of the boot passes, now I see where Modric got it from!

1994 Yellow Pages advert

Two nice lads looking out for El Tel.

Wonder if I'll last another 29 years?

Following the Euro 2024 draw there.. Albania get to relive our Euro 2012 experience - drawn with Spain, Italy and Croatia in the obvious Group of Death, wonder if they'll manage any better than we did. England's group looks pretty nonthreatening, in with the Danes who've been quite mediocre lately plus Serbia & Slovenia, Scotland have a tough looking draw though I know Germany are wobbly lately, Hungary are a rising force & Switzerland always seem to make it through the group at least. Wales if they manage to get through the playoffs will end up with both of our qualifying pals Holland and France.

Following the Euro 2024 draw there.. Albania get to relive our Euro 2012 experience - drawn with Spain, Italy and Croatia in the obvious Group of Death, wonder if they'll manage any better than we did. England's group looks pretty nonthreatening, in with the Danes who've been quite mediocre lately plus Serbia & Slovenia, Scotland have a tough looking draw though I know Germany are wobbly lately, Hungary are a rising force & Switzerland always seem to make it through the group at least. Wales if they manage to get through the playoffs will end up with both of our qualifying pals Holland and France.
France and Holland in the same group is a real load of fuckin bollocks - no way that two teams in the same qualifying group should be able to be drawn in the same tournament group.

Emi Martinez trash talking during Colombia penalty shootout in 2021 Copa America in empty stadium:

Loving seeing Villa flying at moment. G'wan Emery. McGinn is inspired.

Arsenal lost at Villa 'cause they missed plenty of chances.
Yeah - Arsenal should have had a pen early in the 2nd half. Goal at end was correctly disallowed.

Arteta is still the worst behaved manager in the PL and he's lucky he hasn't been in the stands more often.

NOW on BBC 1:
Arsenal 3-1 Chelsea at HT in WSL.
McCabe having another great game.
58,000 tickets sold.
Arsenal won 4-1 and they are now joint top of WSL.

Lots of surprises across Europe over the weekend.
None bigger than this:
Eintracht Frankfurt 5-1 Bayern.

Was 5-1 after an hour. Kane missed two easy chances.
Xabi Alonso's Leverkusen are still top but only drew today.

St. Pauli are joint top of Bundesliga 2 w/ Hamburg 4 points behind.
Cracker of an o.g. by Hamburg 'keeper in derby (2-2 draw) on 1-12-2023

Think the Notts County defence lads have been spending a bit of time down at Paddy Power

"You will never again see 3 goals so badly defended and gifted if you live to be 100".
The kid who said that never saw me play.

Antonio Juliano (1942 - 13 December 2023).

Napoli legend (1962-78) Juliano was a midfield general for his home town club. He won the Coppa Italia twice and captained Napoli for 12 years.
Juliano won the 1968 Euros playing in first drawn Final with Yugoslavia. Despite being in three World Cup squads, a sub appearance in the 1970 Final v Brazil was the only WC game he played.
He earned 18 caps between 1966-74.

Juliano later became general manager of Napoli and was responsible for bringing in Maradona and before that, Ruud Krol.

That's beautiful

Billo had about 8 years of life left there
I wonder what Eamon and Gilesy have in them

Was reading this on the Bundesliga selling a share of their TV rights

The DFL is proposing to sell an eight per cent share of its TV and marketing rights in a 20-year agreement, in return for a cash injection that it hopes will boost the Bundesliga’s competitiveness.

Was kinda hopeful (for football) til I realised they meant competitiveness with other leagues - i.e. to try to stop the EPL eating everyone's lunch
Not to make the league itself more competitive
Pity

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back