2020-21 Football thread (5 Viewers)

Was reading this on the Bundesliga selling a share of their TV rights

The DFL is proposing to sell an eight per cent share of its TV and marketing rights in a 20-year agreement, in return for a cash injection that it hopes will boost the Bundesliga’s competitiveness.

Was kinda hopeful (for football) til I realised they meant competitiveness with other leagues - i.e. to try to stop the EPL eating everyone's lunch
Not to make the league itself more competitive
Pity
In the current issue of When Saturday Comes magazine it says Fortuna Dusseldorf in the Bundesliga 2 have been letting fans in for free this and got over 50,000 at matches.
Even in Dusseldorf's heyday in the 1970s /80s they were poorly supported in a city where fussball wasn't hip and they had lots of cool music.
The idea seems to be that clubs make relatively little money off gate receipts and there is no point in changing fans through the nose.
So they thought fill the stadium and get knock on benefits from having lots of supporters.

In the current issue of When Saturday Comes magazine it says Fortuna Dusseldorf in the Bundesliga 2 have been letting fans in for free this and got over 50,000 at matches.
Even in Dusseldorf's heyday in the 1970s /80s they were poorly supported in a city where fussball wasn't hip and they had lots of cool music.
The idea seems to be that clubs make relatively little money off gate receipts and there is no point in changing fans through the nose.
So they thought fill the stadium and get knock on benefits from having lots of supporters.

Very good doco on 6Music last night about Kraftwerk at that time
I knew they were influential, but they actually changed popular music significantly

The Germans run some things very well. Their football being a case in point.

I knew they were influential, but they actually changed popular music significantly

Cheers - I love Kraftwerk. Will deffo listen to that. Was watching some amazing Kraftwerk TV footage from 1973 I never saw before yesterday on Instagram ('Robotussin vintage synths') also the 1970 Rockpalast TV concert is godlike.
It would be hard to argue that there was a more influential band from the 1970's.

As well as Kraftwerk and Neu! and La Dusseldorf, Dusseldorf had one of Germany's best punk scenes as well, with key punk / Deutsch Neue Welle / electronic bands like Mittagspause, Fehlfarben, DAF, Der Plan, Die Krupps, Die Toten Hosen etc. and not forgetting Doro Pesch the First Lady of Metal. The 1970s/80s was a great time in Dusseldorf.

Yeah - that Kraftwerk / Krautrock doc was ace. Covered a hell of a lot of territory in an hour. Narrator Jarvis Cocker is sound - one of the few Britpop era folks I have no quarrel with.
These radio podcasts are handier to listen to on a phone than YouTube now that I think of it.
Might listen to Jarvis's Sheffield post punk doc now. Cabaret Voltaire are one of my favourite bands and The Human League were one of best pop groups ever in their heyday.

Love Cluster, Conrad Schnitzler, 70s era Tangerine Dream, Cosmic Jokers and am still working my way through Faust and plenty of others.

BBC4 made a very good doc on Krautrock over a decade ago and there was a good film doc on the Sheffield post punk scene made in the 2000's.

Just to prove I can digress a football thread with music as well as music thread with football.....
this one presented by Colleen 'Cosmo' Murphy* (Jarvis, Phil Oakey, Martyn Ware, Richard H Kirk and er... Roisin Murphy are among the talking heads) uses the 2nd Human League LP from 1980 (pre stardom before 'the girls') to tell the story of Sheffield electronic music - Cabaret Voltaire, Warp Records etc.
*She's from Boston nothing to do with Roisin.

Liverpool 0-0 Manchester United.
Awful match. Both teams were an embarrassment to English football.
Garnacho and Hojlund had best chances.

As an LFC fan, they have been regularly lucky all season in the PL w/ the Spurs away defeat being the only result they could feel aggrieved about. Not playing well but a least the Reds have points on the board.

I had a surprising day. Moyes sent them out to win it. And they did. I thought I understood Moyes, but he's actually much more cleverer. This Kudus lad, with Paqueta, the PL don't know what they got.

The 5-0 loss last week was because of norovirus. Players were puking at half time apparently.

Turkish League resumes after a week off due a club president punching a referee and this happens -
For everyone sakes the constant blaming refs has to stop. They do the job in good faith. The media are often driving this in a desperate attempt to generate content.
Wolves were hard done by a few times but their manager is a gent about it.
Liverpool and Arsenal releasing club statements about refereeing is bullshit - no class at all.

Turkish League resumes after a week off due a club president punching a referee and this happens -
For everyone sakes the constant blaming refs has to stop. They do the job in good faith. The media are often driving this in a desperate attempt to generate content.
Wolves were hard done by a few times but their manager is a gent about it.
Liverpool and Arsenal releasing club statements about refereeing is bullshit - no class at all.
Another Turkish club, their president ordered the players off the pitch the other day because he disagreed with a ref decision.

The last twenty minutes of what I just caught on TV was a highly entertaining antidote to the incomprehensible dirge I sat through earlier. 70 minutes of the early game, anyway.

This could be interesting. My first ever soccer ball game as a spectator. A little disappointed that this what a ticket looks like these days.

Attachments

• IMG_20231225_150050~2.jpg
    IMG_20231225_150050~2.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
1985 football themed episode of Super Gran featuring George Best and Roy Kinnear as a manager (not as good as Joe Kinnear).
Believe it or not when I originally saw this I had only just got interested in soccer and didn't recognise George Best. Only just realised he was in this!
Anyone able to identify the football ground?? Might be Whitley Bay where the TV show was shot...
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Super Gran (Gudrun Ure b. 1926) is now 97.

This could be interesting. My first ever soccer ball game as a spectator. A little disappointed that this what a ticket looks like these days.

The thing that i was most taken aback by going to a smallish association football game was there not being screens with replays on them. Culture shocked by goals not having 4 mins of slo mo angles following them.

The thing that i was most taken aback by going to a smallish association football game was there not being screens with replays on them. Culture shocked by goals not having 4 mins of slo mo angles following them.
Aye, armchair fans at Sunday morning football - someone scores a blinder but you only see it once

More anon probably, but that was actually great.
I knew they'd score at some time around the 74th minute. So did buddy Davenothisrealname. Forde is warming up, watch, we said to each other.

Win lose or draw, I thought it was a great day out.

Bo Larsson (1944 - 18 December 2023)
Sorry - meant to mention this lad for a while.
Bo Larsson played in three World Cups for Sweden (1970-78) winning 70 caps (17 goals) between 1964-78.
Playing as a striker and later in midfield, Larsson is generally considered Malmo's greatest player winning six league titles and three cups between 1962-79.
He also spent three productive seasons at Stuttgart from 1966-69.
Sadly Bo missed Malmo's biggest match, the 1979 European Cup Final v Forest due to injury.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back