2020-21 Football thread (5 Viewers)

As a player Fomenko won three Soviet leagues, two cups and the 1975 ECWC with Dynamo Kiev plus 24 Soviet caps.
In 1993 he managed Kiev to the Ukrainian double.
Fomenko was a manager for over 30 years. His final job was Ukraine from 2012-16 but he was fired after losing every match in France Euros inc. 2-0 to Northern Ireland.

Villa didn't play terribly but conceded 4 somehow v Olympiacos.
A VAR decision gave Olympiacos a 1-0 lead, Villa could have had a pen before HT. A shot took a deflection put Greeks 3-2 up (keeper shoulda saved it - Emi wasn't playing) and Douglas Luiz missed a pen in last ten minutes.
The Italian ref was poor - series of decisions went against Villa.

Villa were good going forward but gave away many chances.
Not over yet. Robbie Keane's lads from pariah apartheid state beat them 4-1 in Piraeus earlier in comp.

Up Olympiacos, fuck English football
Always have a soft spot for Villa - Ooh Aah.
No big stars - only Watkins might leave in summer and I'm a big fan of Emery.
Villa Park is fave stadium of mine, Villa have been there since 1890's - it even had a velodrome in early days.
Benjamin will tell ya -
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Everyone has seen or read about this but Paul talking about what Jim Walker (Villa physio) and Graham Taylor and others did for him - which he paid back spectacularly.

Last year I wanted Fiorentina to beat West Ham in the Final but the celebrations after the Hammers won was my biggest memory of last season.

West Ham beat Olympiacos fairly handily last season at home, but it was a group game. 2-2 on aggregate, if you will. Speaking of agg, We were expecting so much trouble from the fans that we were almost looking forward to it, the security guys were wearing balaclavas and shit. but they were grand. Big let down, everyone was quite hepped up.

Didn't see last night's game, I got distracted by the spurs Chelsea thing, which was disappointing to me for work reasons.

I imagine Villa can get it back on track. Brum and Brum adjacent fans are the funniest in my experience.

West Ham beat Olympiacos fairly handily last season at home, but it was a group game. 2-2 on aggregate, if you will. Speaking of agg, We were expecting so much trouble from the fans that we were almost looking forward to it, the security guys were wearing balaclavas and shit. but they were grand. Big let down, everyone was quite hepped up.

Didn't see last night's game, I got distracted by the spurs Chelsea thing, which was disappointing to me for work reasons.

I imagine Villa can get it back on track. Brum and Brum adjacent fans are the funniest in my experience.
Yeah Sean.
No way Villa shoulda lost last night.
Everything that could go wrong did.
They are still in tie all pundits agreed - even Damien Delaney - not normally the most positive lad.

WSL last night -
Liverpool 4-3 Chelsea.

Emma Hayes must have been very grumpy afterwards. Haha.

Never heard of this Norn Irish lad. Back to back promotions with Ipswich though. Everyone likes a good tractor.

In other news, Haaland is captain on my fantasy football team today. 4 goals so far from the big Scandi Cyborg. Sorry to the not-exactly-Brums, you're still very entertaining.

Girona 4-2 Barcelona.
Girona 2nd now a point ahead Barça and have qualified for Champions League.
The 4th Girona goal is a screamer

Never heard of this Norn Irish lad. Back to back promotions with Ipswich though. Everyone likes a good tractor.

In other news, Haaland is captain on my fantasy football team today. 4 goals so far from the big Scandi Cyborg. Sorry to the not-exactly-Brums, you're still very entertaining.
Man Utd should get McKenna.

West Ham. I say, having never heard of the guy.
Why is Moyes going???
Danny Murphy and Ashley Williams on MOTD2 tonight were much more negative about West Ham than I'd be.
Yeah WHFC got er.... hammered in the derbies this season but I'd give Moyes a new contract.

Also Man City women lost 2-1 after two late goals from Arsenal yesterday and Chelsea women 8-0 Bristol City means Chelsea's GD is +1 on City now with a match 1 hand - Chelsea have 2 matches.
So basically I don't know shit about football.

In better news: despite a few defeats St. Pauli need a win from last two games to get back to Bundesliga. Hamburg are 4th but look set to miss out

Why is Moyes going???
Danny Murphy and Ashley Williams on MOTD2 tonight were much more negative about West Ham than I'd be.
Yeah WHFC got er.... hammered in the derbies this season but I'd give Moyes a new contract.

Also Man City women lost 2-1 after two late goals from Arsenal yesterday and Chelsea women 8-0 Bristol City means Chelsea's GD is +1 on City now with a match 1 hand - Chelsea have 2 matches.
So basically I don't know shit about football.

In better news: despite a few defeats St. Pauli need a win from last two games to get back to Bundesliga. Hamburg are 4th but look set to miss out

I don't know really. Europe had been a possibility for next season until it wasn't (as is my current understanding), so that's disappointing.

I guess they're just not moving forward. Or that's the impression.

This season when Spurs Chelsea and ManU underperformed by their standards I guess maybe people expected better.

Hmm... Moyes is one of the best, if not the best manager West Ham had since John Lyall. Only Harry comes to mind. Moyes' teams don't play "Academy of Football" style but West Ham have had better teams that didn't qualify for Europe. Probably the best team that ever got relegated from the PL was West Ham in early 2000's.

The early days in the London Stadium pre Moyes were a disaster and they're not far off where they should be now.
The decision was made long before the Chelsea capitulation.

Probably a few aging players need to be moved on but apart from maybe Kudus their best players should stay.

Premier League will be back up to four Basque managers with Lopetegui.

Cesar Luis Menotti (1938 - 5 May 2024)
Saw a lot of pictures of him on Instagram over the last couple of days but only just realised Menotti had died.

Rosario born striker who played for Argentina. Prior to becoming 1978 World Cup winning Argentina manager in 1976, Menotti put together an exciting Huracan team featuring Osvaldo Ardiles.
After being sacked after disappointing 1982 World Cup, Menotti had many more major jobs inc. Barça, Atletico Madrid, Sampdoria, Boca, River, Independiente, Mexico etc. mostly short lived roles with limited success.
Menotti and his successor as Argentina boss Carlos Bilardo had a long running personal and philosophical rivalry w/ Menotti associating himself with attacking football, leftist politics and a heavy smoking hip image. While Bilardo who became a medical doctor between his playing and management careers, represented the gamesmanship and hardman football of his Estudiantes playing days.

My phone was seconds from going out of power when I posted last. So a few corrections:
Menotti was Argentina manager from 1974-83 when he resigned and in the late 60's Menotti played up front for Santos alongside Pele.

Users who are viewing this thread

• N
Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back