2020-21 Football thread (1 Viewer)

I know and like people who were at both ends in the final today, but I only know and can't stand one person who was in one of the ends today so I'm glad Pats won.

(Notionally as a part time resident of Fairview I should be glad for the best result for Shels too)

I was curious how city would be fairing today with the two big injuries and then i looked at the teamsheet for today and realised the replacements are probably better than the injured

Surprised I never heard of the guy -

Aldo Bet (1949 - 12 November 2023)
Central defender who started at Inter but spent most of career at Roma and AC Milan, winning Serie A in 1979 playing alongside a young Franco Baresi. Bet won 2 caps for Italy in 1971 while with Roma.

Several more players who passed away recently. Mostly just links.
For every couple of lads I mention there is always another player who misses the cut.

Federico Sacchi (Newell's, Racing, Boca and Argentina (1962 WC squad). Federico Sacchi - Wikipedia

Mario Minhos (Boavista, Benfica (won several Liga titles) and Portugal (7 caps))

Nikos Gioutsos (Olympiacos and Greece (15 caps / 6 goals).

Deithelm Ferner (1942 - 2023)
Won 1965 Bundesliga with Werder Bremen and two caps in same period.
Made his name as a coach leading St. Pauli to Bundesliga debut in 1977 (pre punk, anarcho, lefty, squatter era) and later managed everyone from Hannover and Schalke to Zamalek and Lebanon.

Raphael Dwamena (1995 - 11 November 2023)
Ghanaian international died of a heart attack playing in Albania. He had a defibrillator fitted in 2020 and had previously collapsed on the pitch during a match in 2021.

Bohs end?
Tickets were only 20 Euro.
Of course. My dad was a lifelong supporter & used to bring me to Dalymount.

We got a family ticket, so it was cheaper again. It was an interesting experience and the rest of them enjoyed it, but I might as well have been watching 22 lads kicking a ball around the local park.

Ruud Geels (1948 - 18 November 2023)
Geels' passing got a minutes silence in Amsterdam before the Ireland match last Saturday.
He was the second highest goal scorer in Eredivisie history and was Eredivisie top scorer in five seasons.
Geels turned out for Feyenoord (missed 1970 European Cup Final), Ajax and PSV among others plus Brugge and Anderlecht. He won two Eredivisie titles and a Belgian one with Brugge.
Geels won 20 caps (11 goals) from 1974-81, mostly during his prolific spell at Ajax and was in the 1974 World Cup squad but didn't play. He featured prominently in Holland's 3rd place Euro 76 campaign.
In November 1975 Geels scored five for Ajax in a 6-0 win over Feyenoord.
Ruud was suffering from Alzheimer's.

detailed Dutch wiki bio:

Loadsa Geels goals:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

@3:13 Geels scores against Feyenoord at De Kuip and you can clearly see lots of away fans celebrating mixed in with Feyenoord fans(!)

Ajax tribute. some goals overlap with above.

Kenny inevitably gets let go from the Ireland job.. Really wanted it to work, given his ambitions when he took over, but in fairness there've been very few high points over 3 years and this campaign has been especially humbling. I do think whoever takes over has a decent chance to see the current batch of players mature. The list of apparent favourites for the job isn't exactly inspiring. I don't really get the clamour for Lee Carsley, seems highly rated as a coach but no senior management experience and England U21 ars ridiculously stacked with talent, feels like only slightly less of a gamble than Kenny was. Chris Hughton seems like his best days are a bit behind him, might do okay though. Would Chris Wilder be a decent shout, if they can afford him?

Kenny inevitably gets let go from the Ireland job.. Really wanted it to work, given his ambitions when he took over, but in fairness there've been very few high points over 3 years and this campaign has been especially humbling. I do think whoever takes over has a decent chance to see the current batch of players mature. The list of apparent favourites for the job isn't exactly inspiring. I don't really get the clamour for Lee Carsley, seems highly rated as a coach but no senior management experience and England U21 ars ridiculously stacked with talent, feels like only slightly less of a gamble than Kenny was. Chris Hughton seems like his best days are a bit behind him, might do okay though. Would Chris Wilder be a decent shout, if they can afford him?
There's only two Keanos!
No idea who FAI will go for.

Stephen Kenny had little to work with but at least people seem to understand he is sound.
Hope he's back in work soon.

Seems to be lots of good Irish underage teams at moment but they will take time.
The next two tournaments seem well beyond us.

Greece 2-2 France puts some well needed reality how OTT the media's expectations were.

Delighted Austria beat Germany 2-0 (in friendly) for first time since Cordoba '78 and only second time since 1930's.

EDIT: fixed multiple typos.

Whoever takes over Ireland needs to keep building on playing decent football. The results will come if the players learn a good system and mature, but it will still take another few years most likely. That lad managing Greece doesn't look a bad shout, they have improved immensely and their result against France shows it - they felt very hard done by in their match against the Netherlands as well.
The problem is though, the usual - the FAI don't have the money to pay a high calibre coach. I was saying this before, who can they get to replace Kenny? They can't afford anyone, really, that doesn't already have some connection to Ireland or the team in some way.
Basically, we're gonna end up with Duffers or someone - nothing against Duffers, he's doing okay with Shelbourne, but I haven't seen anything spectacular there that looks good to take into a developing international team.

Qatar stadiums update one year on.

Surprise, surprise - Idle stadiums, all left unchanged, some shut, clubs moved back smaller pre existing stadia, legacy promises disregarded.

See near end of video:
Security workers contracts weren't honoured, they were threatened with eviction, arrested for protesting, jailed, then deported.

Qatar stadiums update one year on.

Surprise, surprise - Idle stadiums, all left unchanged, some shut, clubs moved back smaller pre existing stadia, legacy promises disregarded.

See near end of video:
Security workers contracts weren't honoured, they were threatened with eviction, arrested for protesting, jailed, then deported.

That HITC Sevens channel is a good one to subscribe to, he churns out those mini documentaries and manages to go into a fair bit of detail, does a lot of stuff about the corrupt / uber-capitalist structure of modern football.

On El Tel dying.. I think there was a bit of a sliding doors moment when we got Trap instead of him managing Ireland (thanks partly to classic Eamon Dunphy ranting) - I know he was a wideboy Cockney geezer and all that but I suspect he would've done quite well with Ireland..

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back