2020-21 Football thread (1 Viewer)

I just realised watching the match what a terrible commentator Darragh Maloney is. He just chips away at you over 90 minutes with a constant stream of low-level shite. Nothing he says is too offensive but it all just adds up!

I still like Stephen Kenny.
Kenny's sound. Doubt anyone else could do much better with current squad. At least he got them to play decent football. He obviously won't get a new contract but it is not fair to scapegoat him.
He has no ego and will be disappointed it hasn't worked out.
The performances against big nations were always good but not putting smaller nations to the sword was the problem IMO.

I still like Stephen Kenny.
I was optimistic about his appointment and was willing to tolerate a good deal of bad results but there needed to be some general sense of progression over the course of 2 qualifying campaigns and really it feels like we're not any further along, aside from him having given a lot of new players debuts.. I've some sympathy in that the batch of younger players brought through are not really the finished article yet, and the senior players he should be able to build a team around are all seeing their careers tail off (Doherty, Hendrick etc) but he's made us defensively fragile which makes it very difficult to get results.. Repeatedly conceding the same type of goals over and over again is fairly damning. Unfortunately this is going to be used for a long time as a stick to beat those who think the Ireland team might ever be able to attempt passing football, and those from a League of Ireland background.. Don't know where we go from here, I suspect a low-budget Sam Allardyce type will be brought in to shore things up (we can't afford actual Sam).

The post match interview with him was uncomfortable. I agree with his assertion that he just made more than reasonable games against france and netherlands without his first team. But i also mildly begrudingly agree that he let a lot of small games go- but i guess thats new squad stuff to a point.

The post match interview with him was uncomfortable. I agree with his assertion that he just made more than reasonable games against france and netherlands without his first team. But i also mildly begrudingly agree that he let a lot of small games go- but i guess thats new squad stuff to a point.

I could take the losses if it wasn't for the sniffs of hope that slowly squeeze the life out of you

I mean losing in Greece wasn't a shock. Greece have better players. the pundits expectations are a laugh.

Maloney is a decent guy but not great at his job - a bit like a lot of the Irish players.

I don't think there's anyone we can bring in that would do a better job that Kenny. Can't think of anyone that would realistically want to do the job.
I'm not sure if we have the players currently to get us the results either. Like, we've got some good ones coming through, for sure, but you need a solid 11 players for a match and we have James McClean starting at left-back and Shane Duffy in defence. I've nothing against either of these lads, they've both been legends for us over the years, but they're no longer good enough to be getting us results against any decent quality opposition.
There seems to be something of a lack of leadership on the pitch, and I think Kenny relies on those two lads to try and galvanise things - but both of those lads are shockingly slow for international level now. There's also a basic lack of confidence in the players I think, we see flashes of positivity from the likes of Ogbene but when we get the ball going forward we are so slow and ponderous with our attacks. Unless we're already a goal behind, then we start pumping it in a bit more.
Basically I think we're actually playing pretty decent considering the players we have and opposition we're playing, but our confidence is shit because of the way the results have all been going, and it really shows in terms of how our link-up play is so turgid.

Also, the idea of a team in our position fighting for second place spot in a group containing two of the top seven teams in the world is pretty laughable really. It's also the nastiest group you could possibly get from that perspective, isn't it? Try telling that to the pundits though.

I don't think there's anyone we can bring in that would do a better job that Kenny. Can't think of anyone that would realistically want to do the job.
I mean, for the reported 500 grand a year, they'll get somebody interested in doing it, just that it'll likely be someone around the lower Championship to League 1 level that we would've previously turned our noses up at, or a former Ireland player with very little managerial experience as of yet (Duffer, Robbie Keane). I think Steven Kenny was badly hit by having his coaching staff repeatedly poached by bigger teams, his best runs of form coincided with having Anthony Barry or John Eustace in that role and they were gone shortly afterwards.

How do people expect we should have done against a country like Holland?

going 1-0 up, playing well, and losing by 1 goal seems pretty decent, all things considered.

Ireland were always going to lose these 2 games. People should keep a bit of perspective. Its the games against the so-called minnows that Kenny should be more closely judged on.

I like Kenny, but then I knew him back when I was a teenager, so my opinion isn't completely unbiased. Just seems to me that the second an Ireland manager is appointed, people are calling for their head.

Other than having more urgency attacking and crossing quicker, I don't see what else Ireland could have done.

No idea who would come in if Stephen Kenny goes. Be careful what the pundits wish for.
Same with Vera Pauw.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The only shocking thing about a Juve player getting popped for a doping violation is that he failed the test.

Yeah - remember the trial of the 90s Juve club doctor circa 2004?
found guilty and cleared on appeal.
Juve the best team of the 1994-98 era, were taking large amounts of pills and injections but claimed it was all legal.

If there is not proper anti doping, it is insane to expect teams not to dope their players with impunity.

For the sake of speculation, a possible 3rd scenario

Kenny is ousted by the media or whatever.

Kenny is snapped up by another International side and is successful*, gets a decent group draw down the line and italia 90's some country.

*Not like silverware, but gets the best out of a side and they have a few big days.

For the sake of speculation, a possible 3rd scenario

Kenny is ousted by the media or whatever.

Kenny is snapped up by another International side and is successful*, gets a decent group draw down the line and italia 90's some country.

*Not like silverware, but gets the best out of a side and they have a few big days.
Kenny would / will manage again no problem. More likely back in LoI but would be cool if that scenario happened!
Kerr had a few great results with Faroes.

Dominique Colonna (4 September 1928 - 12 September 2023)
5'8" Corsican goalkeeper who won four Ligue titles w/ Nice (1956) and Reims (1958, '60 an '62).
He played in Reims' 1959 European Cup Final defeat to Real Madrid.
Colonna won 12 caps and was an unused member of France's 1958 World Cup squad who finished 3rd in Sweden. He managed Cameroun from 1965-70.

A bit after the fact but the FAI statement on Vera Pauw was nonsense and they are still a clueless organisation.

The manager is in charge of team affairs - no one else.
Stringing Pauw along after her contract had run down before making a decision was incredibly unprofessional and disrespectful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back