2020-21 Football thread (5 Viewers)

Enjoying the drama of these last-second goals.. For all the stockpiles of success of that Luka Modric has accrued in his career, I somehow felt sorry for him seeing him look desolate on the sidelines as that Italy equalizer went in. I wonder could one of the 2 point 3rd place sides squeeze though?

Enjoying the drama of these last-second goals.. For all the stockpiles of success of that Luka Modric has accrued in his career, I somehow felt sorry for him seeing him look desolate on the sidelines as that Italy equalizer went in. I wonder could one of the 2 point 3rd place sides squeeze though?
In 1986 World Cup there was same format: 24 teams and 4 of 8 third placed teams progressed - but it was 2 points for a win.
BULGARIA 1-1 v Italy, 1-3 Argentina and 1-1 v South Korea saw them through from Group A to last 16 with 2 points. They must have been nervous for a few days!
1986 Uruguay manager coined the term "Group of Death" for Group E.
1-1 v West Germany, losing 1-6 to Denmark and 0-0 v Scotland saw Uruguay into last 16!

In Italia 90 and USA 94 (3 points for win for first time) two draws or one win wasn't good enough to progress as best 3rd placer.

I'm pretty sure the opening brass of the Georgian national anthem is different but the same as the sample from Jump Around by House of Pain. I don't recall the original sample, To my shame.

Anyway, for reasons, Georgia is my team for this competition. They have such good walnuts.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I'm proud of Georgia - Ireland raised the bar for their footballing culture by grinding out turgid narrow victories against them in seemingly every qualifying group for about 15 years.. right?

In fairness that is a sensational result, even if it's a bit of a Portugal 'B' side.. story of the tournament so far. Watched an interesting vid the other day about how their football team has become a focal point for people protesting against the dubious 'foreign agents' law / free media crackdown back home.

Ukraine getting knocked out on 4 points is harsh, must be rare in the 24 team format.

They are singing and dancing on the streets of Georgia

Ireland can forget trying to get Willy Sagnol as manager now.
The Georgian 'keeper made several unbelievable saves inc. the save before the penalty was given to Georgia (VAR was looking at foul).

I'm pretty sure the opening brass of the Georgian national anthem is different but the same as the sample from Jump Around by House of Pain. I don't recall the original sample, To my shame.

Anyway, for reasons, Georgia is my team for this competition. They have such good walnuts.

Users who are viewing this thread

• chris d
  • pete
  • Unicron
  • Cormcolash
Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back