2020-21 Football thread (1 Viewer)

joseph-stalin-gettyimages-464426375.jpg

I only just read/realised today that this is the first big competition they've been in since declaring independence.It means a lot to them.

Shades of Italia 90 for me.

I only just read/realised today that this is the first big competition they've been in since declaring independence.It means a lot to them.

Shades of Italia 90 for me.
Euro 88 more like, though a win, draw and loss didn’t cut it back then on the old 2 points for a win, which would have taken us straight to a semi-final. We didn’t win a game in Italia 90 outside of a penalty shootout - four draws and a loss!

Dynamo Tbilisi had a great team in late 70's early 80's.
The stadium in Tbilisi was built about 1976 and was probably the best stadium of Soviet times. After falling into poor condition in the 2000's it got a nice refurbishment.

Dinamo Tbilisi won the Soviet league in 1979, Cup in 1980 and European Cup Winners Cup in 1981. They beat an Easy German team in Dusseldorf in the Final front of a tiny crowd.
Tbilisi also knocked out West Ham on the way to the final.
European Cup 1979 -
Dinamo Tbilisi 3-0 Liverpool (4-2 on agg.) 17 mins.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Best footage I could find. There is a 3 min clip on YT but it is poor quality.

Key players in the Tbilisi team inc. international defender Aleksandr Chivadze (you might remember his big tache and sideburns) and prolific striker Ramaz Shengelia ((RIP) in all time top 10 goalscorers in Soviet League) who scored against Scotland in 1982 World Cup when Willie Miller and Alan Hansen knocked each other over.

Nearly forgot they beat Liverpool! Had to check name spellings but remembered all the rest.

Correction: Tbilisi won League in 1978 and Cup in 1979. Like the LOI Soviet League was in summer.

Another terrific player:
For some reason I thought Kipiani was Armenian.

Holy crap - just found out this:
Vitaly Daraselia died in car accident in 1982 aged 25. He already had 22 USSR caps.

Spartak Moscow won 5-2 at Highbury in 1982. It might have been Arsenal 's last European match until 90's.
I wanted to see this footage for years but cannot find anything.
In the next round in Moscow the was a crush in a tunnel at the end of the match and many people were killed...

Euro 88 more like, though a win, draw and loss didn’t cut it back then on the old 2 points for a win, which would have taken us straight to a semi-final. We didn’t win a game in Italia 90 outside of a penalty shootout - four draws and a loss!

I don't remember '88. But I meant the vibe generally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back