2008 Beijing Olympics (3 Viewers)

Sutherland was excellent there. Blanco came out throwing wild punches form the start and the only way Sutherland could have been in trouble was if your man got very lucky with one. Nice controlled performance, very impressive.

Sutherland was excellent there. Blanco came out throwing wild punches form the start and the only way Sutherland could have been in trouble was if your man got very lucky with one. Nice controlled performance, very impressive.

The 2 guys that are fighting British lads in their semis both have winning records against them, looking good for silvers.

How is it possible for so many world records to be broken at this games? Is there a scientific reason or is it just that sprinters etc are really getting better?

How is it possible for so many world records to be broken at this games? Is there a scientific reason or is it just that sprinters etc are really getting better?

Well Bolt is anyway.

The reason all the swimming records were getting knocked over was due to 2 things, Speedo have a new type of suit that reduces drag but the pool was "fast" too, for one thing it was deeper than most pools and there were also some other things to do wit hthe design of it.

Well Bolt is anyway.

The reason all the swimming records were getting knocked over was due to 2 things, Speedo have a new type of suit that reduces drag but the pool was "fast" too, for one thing it was deeper than most pools and there were also some other things to do wit hthe design of it.

there were two ouside free lanes (lane 1 and lane 10) - this helped take away from the turbulence of the water

yeah, fast pool (they also have spare lanes on the outside to help null out the waves) fast suits, but also at this point swimming is all technique.
For instance the US have a load of lads, PhDs in hydrodynamics, studying the swimmersin this pool that they fill with millions of tiny bubbles. Computers track the bubbles as the swimmer moves through it, and they talk with the coaches to optimize the strokes.

edit... beaten to it.

wrt Bolt, he's just really really fucking fast I think.

I wonder if Bolt would ever think about long jump or triple jump.

He can clip along at about 30 mph, and his stride is monstrous. All he would need to do is stop running at the line, and hope there is still a sand pit under him whenever touches back down.

but also at this point swimming is all technique.

Yeah, a fella on another forum I'm on is a swimmer in college and he said that in the past 5 years some of the techniques has really been refined, like the "correct" position for holding your head when backstroking has been altered dramatically. Also they've chenged some of the rules at the turn I think which has made them quicker/meant that the kick off the end has more power.

Yeah, a fella on another forum I'm on is a swimmer in college and he said that in the past 5 years some of the techniques has really been refined, like the "correct" position for holding your head when backstroking has been altered dramatically. Also they've chenged some of the rules at the turn I think which has made them quicker/meant that the kick off the end has more power.

This is a lot of the reason that I dont think Male swimmers dope much.
They dont need more power, they dont want more muscle mass, they are not endurance athletes like cyclists who need vast amounts of O2 carrying capacity.
Basically all swimming is sprinting, but if you were to take anabolics you would increase bulk which is not what the males need. The recoveries might be helped, with testosterone or something, but again, most of the time they could probably just get fit enough to be ok.

The woman are a different matter. They possibly could do with more power, but not really the men I think.

As for Bolt, I mean, the guy is in a different league. He gives the impression that he could roll out of bed, go for a few pints and a spliff, and bang out a world record, while waving to his ma.

Doping could take 0.1 of second off his time, but the lad is anhilating everyone else. He just doesn't need to dope.

It's all down to the enlightenment and modernity.

Did you see the poor fucker who ran around half the stadium celebrating his bronze only to be told he had been disqualified. Ouch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back