2 lone swordsmen (1 Viewer)

esaruoho said:
but feel free to knock it, obviously im not actually DOING anything, what with not moving sliders and knobs around and looking very important whilst doing it. what am i supposed to do? create 2-4 tracks out of scratch on a sequencer and have them take about 15-30minutes each and not progress anywhere?, while having 'creative' pauses caused by cpuoverloads, buggy vstinstruments/plugins etcetera?
it might be full 100% live, but it sure as hell won't be very interesting.

hahah

brilliant.

its a tough call, live electronic music. doubtlessly many people play files or mp3s, (i've done so myself in the past when my computer has been acting up) and its only in the last 2 or 3 years that software which allows "live" (ie abelton live) use has come onto the market. a huge amount of people are using it now, both for djing and live work and i think as time goes on we'll see more and more companies developing realtime sampling/sequencing software of this ilk.

personally i'm kind of anal though, and i want every track to sound exactly as as it was written. as a result sometimes i do tracks designed purely for my live set which tend to me more loop based and dancey and therefore easier to fiddle with in real time. i'm terrified of stuff crashing though.

herv said:
i'm terrified of stuff crashing though.
Use hardware then ;)

Seriously though, personally, I considered the whole laptop live thing and decided it wasn't for me. Spent years trying to get away from using a computer onstage.
If I were to use a laptop, I'd still need to have a 10-out soundcard, analog mixer and some effects. It'd just defeat the purpose of using a laptop.

It does look boring but only as boring as a motionless 'real' band playing live or a singer song writer standing behind a generic acoustic guitar.

thegoone said:
what do you do fancygoods?

When Human Skulls were playin live in Limerick i used my synth . but we had a drummer too so that always gives you something energetic on stage.

For my own stuff though (Other than my An1x) I'm a software person. Not for any particular reason other than software was more accessible to me when i started out.

hee hee :) meeeeeeow!

aoboa said:
It does look boring but only as boring as a motionless 'real' band playing live or a singer song writer standing behind a generic acoustic guitar.

you electronic dudes are so paranoid

too much sitting in your room playing on your amstrads and vic20s as kids

I think you go to see a band or act or whatever, as much as listen to it

I think drums look cool, and I could watch drummers all day, they're like dancers. Guitarists moshing around though is a bit dull, and I should know

if something is cool to look at then I don't care if it's a band or an guy with a laptop or a fat seagull in a tuxedo

and if the music is really good, I don't care if they're just a couple of ordinary guys sitting there. I saw Double Adaptor at the gallery and they played great music, and they were just sitting there but it was great

Just to get back on topic, no I haven't heard the new 2LS remix album yet either but I've got a lot of their remixes on other bits and bobs and most of them are pretty decent.

My favourite 2LS remix would be the one they did of "Some Kind of Kink" by Red Snapper, excellent electro tune, I'd say the remix compilation would be well worth getting.

Speaking of electro, the Dexorcist played a brilliant evil/dark electro/breaks kind of set at that Loose Electrix party on August the 30th (He'll be DJing, not playing live). I've never seen Lackluster live before but from what I've heard of his Mor gig he's also well worth seeing.

I haven't been back to the Shelter since they did it up but a friend of mine DJed there at the Decal gig and he said the sound was really good.

Also nice to see some international artists posting on Thumped, I just hope they don't get scared off by the almost infinite amount of spam/off topic/clique conversation type posts.

snakybus said:
you electronic dudes are so paranoid

too much sitting in your room playing on your amstrads and vic20s as kids

I think you go to see a band or act or whatever, as much as listen to it

I think drums look cool, and I could watch drummers all day, they're like dancers. Guitarists moshing around though is a bit dull, and I should know

if something is cool to look at then I don't care if it's a band or an guy with a laptop or a fat seagull in a tuxedo

and if the music is really good, I don't care if they're just a couple of ordinary guys sitting there. I saw Double Adaptor at the gallery and they played great music, and they were just sitting there but it was great
Singer songwriters still make me want to go to the bar though...

yeah, there's nothing more boring than a guy with an acoustic guitar

except maybe a girl with an acoustic guitar

ha ha just joking ladies of folk

but I really think it's down to the quality of the music or songs

I think someone with a new-fangled gizmo who has something real to say has more in common with a singer-songwriter with something real to say than he or she does with all the thousands of mediocre bleepy bloopers and strummers out there

yeah, singer/songwriters and laptop are best left in the bedroom. like a wise man once said, if you see some guy on stage with a laptop, something to the effect of "yo, dude, you should have checked your email at home!" possibly the best post ever :D

the stage should best left for bands like the stooges, daemien frost and the jizz. *schmak*

kraftwerk stand around dressed as showroom dummies
but theyre still cool
not that ive ever seen them live
but i live in hope they'll add dublin to their tour

You can't really compare one person behind a laptop to the shows kraftwerk put on though, I am lucky enough to have seen kraftwerk live a few years ago and it is a show, and a very good one at that.

thegoone said:
kraftwerk stand around dressed as showroom dummies
but theyre still cool
not that ive ever seen them live
but i live in hope they'll add dublin to their tour

Thayl said:
Also nice to see some international artists posting on Thumped, I just hope they don't get scared off by the almost infinite amount of spam/off topic/clique conversation type posts.

or name dropping

!ironyyy *clang*!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back