Loneliness (1 Viewer)

Some of it is rural, but things in Ireland are slow in general. The banking industry here is mental for example. Basic stuff like getting driving license stuff together... I dunno, national stuff is slow and clunky, as well as local stuff.
A lot of it is out of ignorance though. I've spent the vast majority of my adult life in the US, but I forgot about that. I know the American way of doing adult stuff and it's different here, meaning I have to learn about how things work here before I can even kick anything off.

I'm surprised when a service works and is fast. This country is a joke.

I'm surprised when a service works and is fast. This country is a joke.
Where are you comparing it to? Yes, a load of stuff here is half-assed, but you get that everywhere as far as I can tell, it's just that different things will be half-assed. In the US you have to do your own tax return every year, and queue for hours to vote. In Italy you have to get permission from the local govt to put up a poster in your local shop

i talked to an american chap a few years ago who was amazed at how quickly things happened when he moved here. (also about how infrastructure is maintained to a higher standard here)

Nowt to do with loneliness, but people here complain about the tube. Which leaves me thinking "Em, what? You have more public transport within a mile of your house than I have in my whole country".

Meanwhile the staff at McDonalds are better trained than the staff at the bank. In Ireland , you need a degree in finance to even get a look in at getting a job in a bank.

The grass is always greener on the other side etc. There are lots of things I miss about home, and a few things I don't. But (drrragggging it back to the original point), I do sometimes despair and feel lonely dealing with certain things here. And I try to explain to people here, but they just think it's normal, they know no better. Be grateful for what you have.

Where are you comparing it to? Yes, a load of stuff here is half-assed, but you get that everywhere as far as I can tell, it's just that different things will be half-assed. In the US you have to do your own tax return every year, and queue for hours to vote. In Italy you have to get permission from the local govt to put up a poster in your local shop
Go over to the the apologising for Ireland being a mickey moist country thread.

I've had it up to here with so called professionals treating me with contempt for expecting basic customer service.

Other countries may also be shit but I haven't invested 40 years into any of them as yet.

main attractions of living alone for me are -

the set up of your place matches your own needs and not anyone else.
your place will stay clean and as you left it (esp no junk food, greasy shit, meat or other sticky crap)
if something needs to be fixed you don't have to go through someone else (who doesn't think it's important) to get it done.
don't have to be around other people unless you want to.

being in an army conscription or boarding school situation must be hell on earth.

Go over to the the apologising for Ireland being a mickey moist country thread.

I've had it up to here with so called professionals treating me with contempt for expecting basic customer service.

Other countries may also be shit but I haven't invested 40 years into any of them as yet.

This is a thread for dry mickeys!

If they're not doing it any better anywhere else then there's no reason to think humans are capable of doing any better. You may as well get mad at the weather

Are you blaming inadequate service provision for your loneliness, @Scientician 0.8 ?

"Excuse me ..."Hi I'm Mary", I have been waiting at this desk for 30 minutes. In lieu of this, you must organise a night out with my friends for me. In fact, YOU must accompany me to an event of my choice."

Slightly related to that.

I know people who have been nurses for a long time who have recently quit.
There are of course many reasons for a nurse to quit these days,but one is that part of being a nurse is talking to the patient. And that that can help a lot in the general care and wellbeing of the patient. Right now,there is simply no time to talk to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back