Minor complaints thread (36 Viewers)

was talking to a finnish lad earlier. -20C.
its pretty windy too giving a real feel of about 10 degrees less than that.

real feel was -28 in Latvia last night. Its snowing again this morning with a real feel of -23.

We really miss out here by not getting to experience that kind of cold. Its good for the soul.

i remember in 2010 it hit -10 or -13C - it felt good, because the moisture froze out of the air. i walked home from the cobblestone to phibsboro, in a t-shirt and hoodie and didn't feel cold (beer coat may have been in play too)

dublin was glistening with the streams of frozen piss running across the footpaths.

i remember in 2010 it hit -10 or -13C - it felt good, because the moisture froze out of the air. i walked home from the cobblestone to phibsboro, in a t-shirt and hoodie and didn't feel cold (beer coat may have been in play too)

dublin was glistening with the streams of frozen piss running across the footpaths.
I remember that too. I cycled to work over in East Point in about -9 degrees. But it was so dry it felt lovely and the roads felt fairly safe. My water bottle was half frozen by the time I got to work.

its pretty windy too giving a real feel of about 10 degrees less than that.

real feel was -28 in Latvia last night. Its snowing again this morning with a real feel of -23.

We really miss out here by not getting to experience that kind of cold. Its good for the soul.
No we don’t and no it fucking isn’t.

I 'member
In my world, I went to pub back at home home and a classic old farmer guy told me "shur the dayzil is froshen Inside the tank a da tractor".

Which means it was apparently at least -18°

Nothing to him of course, shur twas far worse back in the day.

*Edit: I respect farmers, they know stuff like that.

i've talked to a fair few people over the years who are used to much colder temps than us who find the cold in ireland less appealing. it's just a damp cold.
+7 with a bitter wind in Ireland is less comfortable to be out walking in than -17, crisp and clear in Latvia.

I've done both so speak from experience here. You don't even realise how cold it is in those countries. Its bizarre.

I have many happy memories of the winter of 2010/11 - despite the fact that there was some fairly messy family stuff going on in the background.

what struck me at the time was how quickly people adapted.... like ''day 1: we've doomed, more than 1" snow!!!!... Day 3: grand''.

Walking to work down drumcondra rd, cars getting stuck, people just wandering over to push, and then wandering back without it being a big deal.

Having to evaporate cold water using your body (100w food powered heater) is always going to take more energy than just warming cold air with the same device.

I was in Helsinki in Feb of I think '99 .
Flying in and seeing what looked like 10 feet of snow each side of the runway had me worried I wasn't prepared. Needn't have. When a place knows how to deal with the weather,it's not too bad.
I don't remember it feeling particularly cold though.
Getting the ferry to Stockholm with some Finns was funny. Loads of ice crashing against the boat and I kept saying it was just like the titanic.
We had a cabin below sea level so the noise was kinda scarier,haha!!!

i was in town about 15 years ago to meet a friend (now living in vancouver) with his canadian wife (who's from calgary). it was about 1C out and spitting snow, which was immediately melting.
she turned to shane and said 'i won't slag you any more about irish people complaining about cold and snow'.

I was in Turku in Finland in November for 3 nights. Winter snow started when we were there. Average temperatures -10 I guess. Sick of it and the snow pretty quickly.

I have many happy memories of the winter of 2010/11 - despite the fact that there was some fairly messy family stuff going on in the background.

what struck me at the time was how quickly people adapted.... like ''day 1: we've doomed, more than 1" snow!!!!... Day 3: grand''.

Walking to work down drumcondra rd, cars getting stuck, people just wandering over to push, and then wandering back without it being a big deal.
It was exhausting walking around for weeks trying not to fall

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back