What gig did you go to last night? (3 Viewers)

well the length of it certainly makes it challenging. That's Kristin Hersh for you though, I guess. As you well know

Yeah that's true but the fact is that Hips and Makers is remarkably accessible, as is some early to mid period Throwing Muses stuff but she doesn't seem to understand that herself.

Like, she seems to have no idea that her songwriting has changed so much. There's a lot of intense strumming these days where she used to use a plucked arpeggios and change up the rhythms a lot. Be damned if i'm the one who is gonna tell her what to do though.

Went to see Frankie Cosmos last night. I enjoyed it, it was pleasant stuff. I really like her albums. The guy I went with spent the whole time the whole time complaining really loudly about how boring it was and how he despairs for millenials if this is the blandness they're in to. Now that I think about it, he does this fairly regularly. It's a pain in the hole. I should stop going to gigs with him. I brought him to Melt Banana last month and he complained that it was too weird and noisy. I'm actually beginning to think that he doesn't like music.

Went to see Frankie Cosmos last night. I enjoyed it, it was pleasant stuff. I really like her albums. The guy I went with spent the whole time the whole time complaining really loudly about how boring it was and how he despairs for millenials if this is the blandness they're in to. Now that I think about it, he does this fairly regularly. It's a pain in the hole. I should stop going to gigs with him. I brought him to Melt Banana last month and he complained that it was too weird and noisy. I'm actually beginning to think that he doesn't like music.

I went to that last night too. I like the record I'd heard but it didn't click for me at all. A bit too studied and deliberately crap. I left after about 25 minutes. Perhaps I just wasn't in the mood for it.

I went to that last night too. I like the record I'd heard but it didn't click for me at all. A bit too studied and deliberately crap. I left after about 25 minutes. Perhaps I just wasn't in the mood for it.

My mate wasn't in the mood for it either but he stayed for the whole thing. I kind of wished he'd followed your example. I think I was enjoying it out of spite by the end.

Nadia Reid and Julie Byrne in whelans. An enjoyable double headliner with the rarity of a singer tackling the idiot chatters. Nadia Reid had to stop a song due to them distracting her. She then told them to shut up or get out.

Nadia Reid and Julie Byrne in whelans. An enjoyable double headliner with the rarity of a singer tackling the idiot chatters. Nadia Reid had to stop a song due to them distracting her. She then told them to shut up or get out.
saw comments about that on twitter. Both of those have been played a lot by BBC6 and are great. Don't know how this gig didn't appear on my radar. Kudos to Nadia Reid. Arseholes need to be called out more often.

I only spotted it was on yesterday afternoon; don't know any Nadia Reid stuff, but Julie Byrne popped up on my Spotify and her stuff is lovely. The yappers at gigs in Dublin have actually stopped me going to gigs, tbh. I just don't get why they spend good money on tickets then yap through an artists set. I blame the gargle. And the fact that they're all pricks.

Ryan Adams (and the unknown band) in the Ulster Hall on Friday and the Olympia last night.

Similar set lists.
Motored through the tunes.
Audiences well behaved. Belfast surprisingly so for a Friday night.
Missed Karen Elson on Friday but she was good last night. Loud tunes much better than the quiet ones.

I am calling this Ryan Adam's chunky period. Big Tom Petty style numbers. The new band are grand, but he's missing having a another big presence on stage to take on extra guitar and vocals like neal casal with the cardinals or mike viola the last time he played here.

Good stagecraft.

Very enjoyable.

Last edited:

I was due to go to this gig but missed it because my sister in law had a baby boy that night. Which is a deadly reason to miss a gig.

Not mad about Nadia Reid's stuff but really like that latest Julie Byrne album.

How were Amiina? I saw them a few times supporting/playing with Sigur Rós and was considering going.

Really enjoyed it, I hadn't seen them before but like yourself had seen them play with Sigur Ros. The gig was a live performance of a score they'd written for a 1913 French silent film

Siv Jakobsen upstairs in whelans. Lovely gig. That venue has improved so much. Lovely crisp sound, even down the back, and visibility is way better than I remember it. Small, but respectable crowd, given how relatively unknown she is.

Mostly songs from the new album, which is very nice and mellow and maudlin. Right up my alleyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back