The Russian invasion of Ukraine (3 Viewers)

This is actually news to me, ignorant southerner that I am, i thought the argument was only about the town itself.
Any excuse

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

You'd forget how long they've been there all the same
Plantagenets and so on
Pre-dating the formation of many counties

Hoors

You'd forget how long they've been there all the same
Plantagenets and so on
Pre-dating the formation of many counties

Hoors
the brits invented the counties as the currently stand though in the first place - it was transferring the english administrative system onto the incrementally conquered Ireland.
The true gael would have to truck with counties. Tuath was where it was at.

the brits invented the counties as the currently stand though in the first place - it was transferring the english administrative system onto the incrementally conquered Ireland.
The true gael would have to truck with counties. Tuath was where it was at.
A fucking shocking state of affairs when you think about it

Oh man, two things I think about a lot:

1) the "you killed us" line in this book

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/29/opinion/sunday/united-states-cold-war.html

2) that MI6 are exempt from FOI requests, and do not declassify their files ever (unless they want to), so an international secret service body who have been meddling with worldwide affairs for over one hundred years have never had to admit what it is they did to shape the planet.

My missus' ma is Russian, though her whole family is staunchly anti-roosky.
You got a good 'un there

Was listening to this report this morning - while searching for stuff about the monument coming down - it's from the Terehova check point in Latvia to get into Russia
They mention the non-citizens, but it seems plenty of them like it that way. The non-citizen passport gets them in to Schengen without a visa. Their kids are choosing to be non-citizens too.

Those Russians that came over with the Soviet occupation sound stuck in a way; completely unwilling to adapt to Latvian society, and kind of not wanted by Russia all that much.

Obviously this is vox-pop from people stuck in trucks and cars. Some cranky fuckers and a heartbreaking story about a mother searching for her son.
But illuminating for a place I don't know all that much about.

You got a good 'un there

Was listening to this report this morning - while searching for stuff about the monument coming down - it's from the Terehova check point in Latvia to get into Russia
They mention the non-citizens, but it seems plenty of them like it that way. The non-citizen passport gets them in to Schengen without a visa. Their kids are choosing to be non-citizens too.

Those Russians that came over with the Soviet occupation sound stuck in a way; completely unwilling to adapt to Latvian society, and kind of not wanted by Russia all that much.

Obviously this is vox-pop from people stuck in trucks and cars. Some cranky fuckers and a heartbreaking story about a mother searching for her son.
But illuminating for a place I don't know all that much about.

good stuff.

I was out walking here in the city I'm in (Valmiera), this morning. Its about 100 miles from the Russian border, or less even. There was an old lady in front of us and, as we were walking faster than her, we caught up with her. There were a few lads in a van working on repairing some road damage and there was music playing. I didn't know what music it was, and assumed it was coming from the van. But it wasn't. The old lady was carrying a transistor radio and was blaring it loudly. We noticed the workman looking strangely at her and, when we caught up, we realised why. The music was Russian propoganda music, and she had a russian ribbon around her hat. We popped into the shop and left her go her own way. When we came out of the shop we saw her across the street walking in amongst a bunch of old people, clearly trying to antagonise them. But no one paid a blind bit of heed to her so she walked on. When we passed her again she was punching the air to whatever song was playing (yeah, I know, clearly very mentally ill). We passed her and walked on. A short time later we crossed a bridge over the big river in this city, and heard some shouting behind us. It was clearly something to do with the old lady so we walked back to see. Some guy in, maybe his 50s or 60s (old enough to have done his compulsory stint in the soviet army), was shouting at her saying she was disrepecting her country's history by carrying on as she was. He didn't get physical, said his piece and moved on. As did we. But I fear for that old lady. She'll rub someone up the wrong way and they'll land her back on her soviet arse.

Separately, there's a WWII soviet monument in this city. Its not well-known outside of here so there was no controversy about whether it should stay up or not. There are about 200 graves, about 90% Russian, 10% Latvian, with the monument behind it. From going there in previous years I remember it being so well maintained and manicured. This morning it was so overgrown and dirty looking, even the 10% Latvian part. The local council clearly aren't willing to spend any money on its upkeep anymore for fear of blowing up a full-blown scandal and angering people.

Interesting times.

I was out walking here in the city I'm in (Valmiera), this morning. Its about 100 miles from the Russian border, or less even. There was an old lady in front of us and, as we were walking faster than her, we caught up with her. There were a few lads in a van working on repairing some road damage and there was music playing. I didn't know what music it was, and assumed it was coming from the van. But it wasn't. The old lady was carrying a transistor radio and was blaring it loudly. We noticed the workman looking strangely at her and, when we caught up, we realised why. The music was Russian propoganda music, and she had a russian ribbon around her hat. We popped into the shop and left her go her own way. When we came out of the shop we saw her across the street walking in amongst a bunch of old people, clearly trying to antagonise them. But no one paid a blind bit of heed to her so she walked on. When we passed her again she was punching the air to whatever song was playing (yeah, I know, clearly very mentally ill). We passed her and walked on. A short time later we crossed a bridge over the big river in this city, and heard some shouting behind us. It was clearly something to do with the old lady so we walked back to see. Some guy in, maybe his 50s or 60s (old enough to have done his compulsory stint in the soviet army), was shouting at her saying she was disrepecting her country's history by carrying on as she was. He didn't get physical, said his piece and moved on. As did we. But I fear for that old lady. She'll rub someone up the wrong way and they'll land her back on her soviet arse.
Jees, the power of propaganda to break a brain
She's got it bad

Like the ol' lad at the check point who had listened to Latvian and Russian news reports and decided the Russian ones were true. And why won't the world recognise that Putin is the greatest military leader in the world??
The Soviet occupation is gonna linger for a long time.

Living history, man

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back