It's the Friday 80s Pop song thread (5 Viewers)

I’ve been listening to Celtic Frost’s Mexican Radio cover for over 30 years and that’s the first time I’ve ever heard the original. I mean I knew it existed, I just never heard it or sought it out. Weird.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

and some FROST fans never even realized it was a cover. you'd think the lyrics are a dead give away.

Woeful drum machine production but still, such a cheerful song about a murderous armed insurrection

SALON MUSIC - Spending Silent Night (1983)
Japanese new wave song used on a Honda car advert there at the time.
a very distorted cover of this by hardcore punk band CONFUSE ('Spending Loud Night') is one the best known (and greatest) Japanese hardcore tunes.

Massive revival of 80s japanese pop music going on right now @nuke terrorist, Pitchfork can't stop themselves writing about it

Recent "Sunday Review*":

*Sunday Review is where they review, like, a 1970s Miles Davis album and give it 9.5 out of ten and we're supposed to be going "wow, so insightful, who'd have thought they'd be so brave"

I vaguely remember this one, good chorus

I was just browsing through this list of the weekly Irish top 30 charts 1985 to 1987

Massive revival of 80s japanese pop music going on right now @nuke terrorist, Pitchfork can't stop themselves writing about it

Recent "Sunday Review*":

*Sunday Review is where they review, like, a 1970s Miles Davis album and give it 9.5 out of ten and we're supposed to be going "wow, so insightful, who'd have thought they'd be so brave"

I only know SALON MUSIC because of the CONFUSE cover.
IMO that was by far their best tune (from their First LP) some of their material from later years sounds more like STEREOLAB or more Lo-Fi maybe ?

YMO I've been aware of since the early 90's. the stuff I've heard is a bit more prog and 'musicianship' influenced than a lot western synth stuff from the time.
YMO's influence must be colossal - as kid in the 80's you'd hear YMO style electronic music on video games and Japanese cartoons all the time.
but I couldn't really say I've heard more than the odd song plus the Budokan concert from about 1980 that was filmed.

Just watched this YMO on Soul Train in 1980 doing 'Tighten Up' (Archie Bell and The Drells).

the Japanese 80's AOR artists mentioned in the Pitchfork article went right over my head.
I see people on the Amoeba Records ' What's In My Bag' channel on you tube buying 80's AOR pop and
saying 'this has amazing production' while some of music is playing in the background and I think - WTF ?!

nearly all the music I posted on this thread was new wave
THE PLASTICS - Diamond Head (1980)

the other songs I wanted to post by them were from 1979.

Ah yeah, YMO are massively influential, even Michael Jackson did one of their songs.

That Tighten Up cover is class though! Great song. Apparently Archie Bell was stuck in Vietnam trying to not get killed while it was going up the charts! Prince subtly throws it for a few seconds in on this Leno appearance, just for my usual Prince connection.

YMO I've been aware of since the early 90's. the stuff I've heard is a bit more prog and 'musicianship' influenced than a lot western synth stuff from the time.
YMO's influence must be colossal - as kid in the 80's you'd hear YMO style electronic music on video games and Japanese cartoons all the time.
but I couldn't really say I've heard more than the odd song plus the Budokan concert from about 1980 that was filmed.

love this solo tune from 1982 by YMO dude Haruomi Hosono.

I have a few YMO albums, but I'd prefer to have this solo album by Haruomi Hosono.

Here's the whole album:

As a curious, but not exactly pertinent tidbit, a student told me Hosono's grandfather was the sole Japanese passenger on the Titanic. Apparently his behaviour was infamous - stealing from people, not letting children onto the lifeboat etc [makes me think of that Seinfeld episode where George thinks there's a fire at a kids' party and runs out of the house knocking over all these children]... must be quite galling for the Japanese as a nation, who pride themselves on unimpeachable public conduct, to have had this lad as their sole representative on the Titanic.

One from YMO - fits in with what bands like the Human League were up to at the same time.

Cheers Nate.
see what you mean with Nice Age.

love this solo tune from 1982 by YMO dude Haruomi Hosono.

I have a few YMO albums, but I'd prefer to have this solo album by Haruomi Hosono.

Here's the whole album:

As a curious, but not exactly pertinent tidbit, a student told me Hosono's grandfather was the sole Japanese passenger on the Titanic. Apparently his behaviour was infamous - stealing from people, not letting children onto the lifeboat etc [makes me think of that Seinfeld episode where George thinks there's a fire at a kids' party and runs out of the house knocking over all these children]... must be quite galling for the Japanese as a nation, who pride themselves on unimpeachable public conduct, to have had this lad as their sole representative on the Titanic.

One from YMO - fits in with what bands like the Human League were up to at the same time.

just listened to that HARUOMI HOSONO LP now.
one of those early 1980's records that has all the hallmarks of samplers, drum machines and the hi tech gear of the time ('Bladerunner', Laurie Anderson etc.) but much cleverer than most at using it for his own ends.
I didn't really know much about Hosono so I am impressed when a major artist is allowed to do something left field.
I've listened to a lot of Japanese music but not many popular artists.

there's a lot of records from the early to mid 1980's like the Nigel Rolfe LP that was recently reissued that use samplers in a bit of a predictable way and are too much a product of the technology.

also we talked about DAF a few times before:
there is a good interview w/ Robert Gorl in Record Collector this month.
best thing I've ever read on the band in a magazine, including some great photos, only one of which I had seen before.
I wrote a bit about the influence WIRE had on Dusseldorf punk scene on thumped record club thread on their 154 LP. some of the bands I mentioned there MITTAGSPAUSE (w/ Gabi) and FEHLFARBEN records are written about in RC. this is probably the first time I ever saw either band mentioned in the English language music press - remarkable considering FEHLFARBEN's first LP's status in Germany.

Seinfeld was seriously boring though - don't be watching that. I always saw it as an example that the American public will consume any old rubbish.

I feel the cold Alpine wind on my shoulder
Tom Warrior riffs coming across the Suisse border
I hear the operatic headbanger - don't understand just does she say ?
I'm listening to Frost on Suisse radio
Into The Pandemonium on radio...

EDIT: being serious Mexican radio would have been a great theme for the 1986 Mexico World Cup.
RTE used an instrumental part of Dancing In The Dark for their coverage.

also shortly after the '86 World Cup Stan Ridgeway (WALL OF VOODOO former front man)
had a huge hit with Camouflage which got to number 2 in Ireland.

Last edited:
As I was enjoying 'Dancing Girls' by Nik Kershaw, as is my wont, I was led to this which made me say WTF out loud

EDIT: being serious Mexican radio would have been a great theme for the 1986 Mexico World Cup.
RTE used an instrumental part of Dancing In The Dark for their coverage.

also shortly after the '86 World Cup Stan Ridgeway (WALL OF VOODOO former front man)
had a huge hit with Camouflage which got to number 2 in Ireland.

I was working with a lad from Cameroon on a removals job last year, and we got on to talking about football at some point in the van. He was convinced that 'When the Going Gets Tough' by Billy Ocean had been the official World Cup song for Cameroon in 86 [Or 90?]. Anyway, I was like, "that can't possibly be true." He was 100 percent convinced that this was the case. Anyway, he googled it when we got out of the van. His countenance sort of shadowed over, and I heard him sigh and mumble to himself, "why?? why did he lie to me?" in a frustrated tone. So presumably some local lad had lied to this poor fella who had been believing for all these years that When The Going Gets Tough had been the official World Cup anthem for Cameroon.

Anyway, I bought this LP for two quid on discogs, but then didn't because they couldn't find it. Ah, well.

Actually, this one's better:

Not the best period for Associates, but hits the nail of this thread on the head.

I love the associates. The Memory Palace by Billy Mackenzie and Paul Haig is an excellent 90s kinda-pop album

Cool, must check it out. I was lamenting the fact that I only had Sulk on vinyl, and they have such a powerful sound on that record. So, seems like there are some good prices for secondhand Associates on discogs... but you have to buy a few items off whatever seller to avoid getting rode on the postage costs.

THE ASSOCIATES WHEN ALAN RANKINE WAS IN THE BAND WERE THE BEST POP GROUP EVER IMO.

I finally got the CD of their early BBC sessions recently it was £23 BUT the first Peel Session from 1981
is one of the best things I've ever heard and is my fave Peel Session ever.
unlike the records Alan's guitar is nice and high in the mix,
unlike the CD this features Mr Ravenscroft talking

the second excellent Peel Session from 1982 has an early version of Waiting For The Love Boat.

another '83 Peel session has Billy singing accompanied by piano (ala later Marc Almond)
which with that voice works well.

and there's a 1984 session of Perhaps era material recorded for Kid Jensen which is much
less slick than the LP and is surprisingly really good.
in Perhaps (Schizophrenic Version) Billy's lyrics are taking the piss and he ends up sings about turds !

I've only listened to the post Alan Rankine stuff the odd time and don't have any of those albums.
but how many post punk greats lost the plot by the mid 80's ? nearly all of them.
Perhaps has the songs but just sounds a bit too slick. a lot of 80's production went this way at the time.

THE ASSOCIATES vinyl is cheap - for whatever reason they aren't a 'collectable' band.

I don't have any Paul Haig solo stuff either - I suppose for similar reasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back