It's the Friday 80s Pop song thread (4 Viewers)

Can't go wrong with a bit of D.A.F... There were some extremely scratched 12" singles going for about 4 or 5 bob in Spindizzy a while back. But they were horrendously scratched.

Can't go wrong with a bit of D.A.F... There were some extremely scratched 12" singles going for about 4 or 5 bob in Spindizzy a while back. But they were horrendously scratched.
their influence on the German pop universe was colossal.
would have loved to have seen them especially before they became a duo.

my main want on vinyl by the them is the Die Kebab-Traume 7'' on Mute (1980)
still my favourite DAF recording.
I heard that version of the song on a comp. and that got me into them.

There's an aborted Cristina and Robert Palmer album recorded around then, one or two tracks were completed, this here is an absolute masterpiece:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It almost feels like the kind of thing Pulp were doing 15-20 years later

I used up tonight I'm yours on the other thread.
Knew I should have held on to it for Friday.

Yer Wan in this video is mega (80's term)

I think the two lads are more into each other.

B-52's - Private Idaho (1980) on Aussie TV (Countdown ?)

Pete Shelley - Homosapien (1981)

produced by Martin Rushent (whose next project was 'Dare').
The song being banned by BBC for gay sex references sank Shelley's solo career before it had begun.
the song managed to be a big hit in Australia and even Canada despite Shelley being little known there.

SWEEET fucking Mosrite the lad in the B 52s is strumming
The Mosrite was his thing, big Ventures fan.

it's even in the artwork on their debut

R-508401-1542548994-2098.jpeg.jpg

Speaking of the B-52s, this kind of thing hurts my brain

------
Despite how simple it looks on the surface, this song (Rock Lobster) has a bit more to it than it may seem on first glance.
Though it's played in a lower tuning, Ricky wasn't a conventional guitarist.

Set your guitar tuner to 445 HZ (standard is 440) and tune to CFxxFF (x = no string in the slot;
This is necessary or it'll sound bad.) You may need to set up a guitar with heavier strings for
this, a set of 8s-10s *won't* work. I suggest you go at least as heavy as 12s (and use the G and B
strings for the two F strings; they must both be unwound strings, too) but if you're determined
to go all the way, here are the strings Ricky seems to have used:

.105b, .085b, .018p and .018p for C, F, F and F respectively, according to his guitar tech's notes.
Yes, he used a mix of BASS STRINGS and plain guitar strings for this on a 24.5" scale length* guitar!
No, this doesn't usually work unless you modify the guitar to accept these strings (to an extent)
so maybe you should use a cheap guitar for it like I did; I tried using these string sizes on an
Epiphone Jr.and the tone was outstandingly close.

* 24.5" Is the correct scale length, it's uncommon. Ricky played this on his Blue 1966 Mosrite MK V.

Note: I previously said the plain F strings were .026p and .022p.
That was before I read Ricky's Guitar Tech's Notes.

Tips for stringing up:

1: Don't enlarge the tuner hole too much if at all; guitar tuners aren't very thick. You can enlarge them
a bit (by 0.010; 10 thousandths of an inch) but I'd suggest belt-sanding the strings where they'll
go around the string posts instead, especially if you have a vintage instrument.

Please note that the tab says "CFGGFF" below. I only put "G" strings in
the tab to get past auto-correct; ignore them, they don't exist.

OK, are you ready in 445 Hz CFxxFF? Let's do this.

Wow, interesting! I've tuned my guitar to his tunings before, but I didn't realize you had to use bass strings and change the HZ on a tuner and stuff.

He was basically trying to play bass and lead guitar at the same time on the same instrument so it makes sense in your (or at least in my) head to have the heavier strings tuned way low and the lighter strings tuned to the same note to not complicate what you're playing on them. Then you remove the two middle strings and you have a physical gap to go with the mental gap you're creating, if you what I mean. It's a good laugh to write stuff in the tuning and it immediately sounds like early B-52's.

I noticed his strings were wonky in the video. .I just thought it was like that cos they were miming to the record

Crazy shit. Peoples innovation just blows me away

Sounds like 17th century violin shit, some composers wrote 'scordatura' pieces for deliberately detuned strings. Biber wrote a sonata (The Crucifixion) where two strings are actually meant to be crossed at the bridge to play it. You'd want to use a cheaper violin for that shit alright, it could fuck up your whole instrument given the tension on the strings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back