Coronavirus: Better Call Sol - CORONAMANIA (5 Viewers)

I'm so shocked by how rude and selfish people are on the streets. If I see someone ahead I basically move out 2m even if it's onto the road... Meanwhile groups of three abreast totally ignore me? I wish the government would issue encouragement for people to walk single file!

I stopped being shocked by this kind of shit 20 years ago

My current favourite spot for people being complete fuckwits about the 2 metre thing is the footbridge from East Wall Road over the Tolka into Fairview Park.
I go running around the park, and when I'm done the footbridge is the quickest way back to the house. This footbridge is like maybe 1.5 metres wide at most, i.e 2 people walking alongside each other basically have to slide past each other. The footbridge is maybe 15-20 metres long, takes about 25 seconds to walk across I reckon.
So when I'm done with my run, I go over to the footbridge. And I usually sit there a minute or two waiting for people to have crossed so that the footbridge is clear. And then it's clear, and I go on to the bridge. And then, almost without fail, when I'm about halfway across some fucking absolute cockhead walks on to the bridge from the other side to cross into the park, coming right past me right beside me. Often walking a dog, also often families with kids. They just couldn't wait 20 fucking seconds for me to be over and clear, like I've just done on the other side.
This has been going on for weeks now, but I've started using the bridge as a matter of principle – every time I'm on it and someone walks on to it from the other side, when we pass I have a bit of a cough into my arm beside them.
The families passing are the most disappointing, cause then I can't really do this. The dog walkers get it bad.
Anyway in all the weeks this has been going on, the only time I've actually seen someone stop and wait before coming on to the other side of the bridge was a few days ago, when this nice girl stopped and waited for me to clear it. Didn't matter though, a family walked past me on it right before she got there anyway.
I have been considering just starting to shout at people now when I see them start to come on to the other side of the bridge when I'm already on it, haha

Heard that a lovely woman who lived in the house next door when I was a kid has it, she's 89. When I was young because my actual grans lived in Portadown and Waterford I used to refer to her as "Granny *hersurname*." Then this afternoon my father decided that this was the right time for him to discuss his end of life/medical care/thinkahead forms.

Fucking bummer of an afternoon.

Last edited:
I meant it in jest but i'm sitting here (at home!) worrying how long before people start doing these stupid protest gatherings in Ireland.

This is the stuff they use to justify it

(ok, that's the Sun but it's also cropping up in less fearmongering ways under the other papers,

e.g. the BBC Cancer patients concern over treatment suspension

and the telegraph - Cancer referrals down by 80 per cent in some areas as coronavirus fears keep patients from hospitals )

Last edited:
the death toll announced today in the US is a little shocking. over 4,500.

I know a guy who works as some sort of hospital admin/safety roll in Oregon. Apparently, though New York appears to have changed that policy as of yesterday, they're only recording Covid 19 deaths as such if the dead person had tested positive. People who have died who obviously had it but who weren't tested are being listed as dying from respiratory conditions etc, so the count there is way way lower than it should be.

Just back from my run, went across the footbridge again, halfway across some mid 40s prick wearing big headphones starts coming at me from the other side. Flung my arms out to both sides just as he started walking across to indicate "What the fuck??", he actually checked for a second and then just kept coming, so I shouted at him "YOU COULDN'T JUST FUCKIN WAIT 20 SECONDS FOR ME, NO??", haha

Also, a really noticeable increase in over 70's out and about today, think people are taking the relatively positive messages about the virus being suppressed as a licence to start flouting the advice.

I spoke to my Mom earlier. She said my Dad is seriously resenting the whole thing. Reading lots of stuff about how it's all lies and so on and chomping at the bit to get back to normal. He's only staying home and keeping away from people because my brother read him the riot act (from 2 m away) a few weeks ago. Both my parents are over 70 and my mother is in poor health. I fully expect that he will break the rules before this is lifted. He's a rebel.

My father-in-law isn't quite so angry about it, just very down on the whole thing. He absolutely understands and is doing his best, but he's finding the boredom horrendous. He's a good argument for letting garden centre's reopen, just so we could get him things to do around the house.
I know some sites are still selling, but whenever I check they say they can't take orders as they're so over subscribed.

My father-in-law isn't quite so angry about it, just very down on the whole thing. He absolutely understands and is doing his best, but he's finding the boredom horrendous. He's a good argument for letting garden centre's reopen, just so we could get him things to do around the house.
I know some sites are still selling, but whenever I check they say they can't take orders as they're so over subscribed.

My Dad is very much a social animal. He doesn't drink, but he likes to talk and I lost count before I finished Junior Infants of the number of times he was late picking me up from school because he lost track of time talking to some random stranger somewhere... just how and who he is... but it makes this very difficult for him. He's the type of person who goes "shopping" so he can talk to people.

The German discount stores are doing gardening stuff. Selling plants and compost and stuff like that anyway. Would that be any use?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back