People Leaving Bands (2 Viewers)

What’s a good place to start with Teenage Fanclub? I’ve never really checked them out.
I'd recommend the early stuff. Start with Bandwagonesque. Let us know what you think and if you're still with us by then I can give you more commendations.

Grand Prix is the commercial hit but it's a bit bland really. Though I still love it.

I'd recommend the early stuff. Start with Bandwagonesque. Let us know what you think and if you're still with us by then I can give you more commendations.

Grand Prix is the commercial hit but it's a bit bland really. Though I still love it.

Good advice. Wouldn't agree with Grand Prix being bland though! Quality tunes all round.

that's a coincidence! i was only just listening to a catholic education there over the weekend. hadn't put it on in years (close to 30 YEARS!!!) fantastic record. saw them supporting sonic youth in mcgonagles, and from the first screech of feedback i was hooked. later, i was disappointed by bandwagonesque (the production was way too shiny for me) and never really listened to them after that.

that's a coincidence! i was only just listening to a catholic education there over the weekend. hadn't put it on in years (close to 30 YEARS!!!) fantastic record. saw them supporting sonic youth in mcgonagles, and from the first screech of feedback i was hooked. later, i was disappointed by bandwagonesque (the production was way too shiny for me) and never really listened to them after that.

My mates went to this, I was in school at the time, and there was no chance of me getting up for it. The fuckers still remind me about it.

They raved about the support act, and brought back A Catholic Education, which I played plenty at the time alright. I wish they'd reissue that as well, it's a cracker for sure. Everything Flows - the hit of course, but still the absolute business. Some difference when Bandwagonesque came out though, much 'shinier', true enough!

What’s a good place to start with Teenage Fanclub? I’ve never really checked them out.
As @rettucs said, Bandwagonesque is a good start. The run of albums that they have reissued just last week are all great as well - in particular, Grand Prix is superb, Songs from Northern Britain is equally good.

My mates went to this, I was in school at the time, and there was no chance of me getting up for it. The fuckers still remind me about it.

They raved about the support act, and brought back A Catholic Education, which I played plenty at the time alright. I wish they'd reissue that as well, it's a cracker for sure. Everything Flows - the hit of course, but still the absolute business. Some difference when Bandwagonesque came out though, much 'shinier', true enough!
It's funny given where they went sonically that they sort of came up with that Grunge scene; early supports with Dinosuar (before they were junior) and the like. I like Catholic Education but I much prefer the jangly, harmony laden tunes they later developed. Top band!

Not to derail the thread but I was sure I'd read that Janick Gers was leaving Iron Maiden after the current(just ended) tour. I even looked it up this morning to check. Turned out I just dreamed it.

Comment from Gerard Love over on the bookface -
I thought I should say a few words about the Teenage Fanclub situation.
From the outset I didn’t want to do these particular shows, Hong Kong, Japan, Australia and New Zealand, specifically because of the flying involved. I flew around the world last year and it’s not something that I would want to do too often in my life. I equally didn’t want to stop anyone from making a living and so it’s completely acceptable to me that the band and crew are able to go ahead with the tour. I didn’t leave the group and I wasn’t kicked out, the idea of this tour eventually became a fork in the road and we have just agreed to go our separate ways. It’s not ideal for any of us but it’s as amicable as it can possibly be. We played a couple of shows at the weekend and I think the group’s still sounding pretty good. We have a couple more festival shows next week and then in October and November we have our full album nights where we get the chance to hook up with Brendan and Paul again. All good.
Change is natural and constant and I completely welcome it. All I can say is that I feel very lucky to have met Norman and Raymond all those years ago. Good innings. Thanks.

Not to derail the thread but I was sure I'd read that Janick Gers was leaving Iron Maiden after the current(just ended) tour. I even looked it up this morning to check. Turned out I just dreamed it.

He’s only a fuckin blow in anyway.

I was going to say the same - and then I realised I'm fucking ancient

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back