The best gig ever to take place in Ireland ever (2 Viewers)

Finding it hard to think right now, but....

Sparklehorse in Whelans - hands down. The greatest hits gig where everyone sang along to everything. Shortly before he passed on.

Nick Cave in SFX in the 80s I think. The Good Son tour I think. Prowling the stage pointing his finger at us. Hamming it up almost Elvis cabaret style but full on. All of us drenched from the minor slam dancing. He was in a bit of a mood cause Ferghal from Whipping Boy wrecked his fave microphone stand earlier.

Arcade Fire first outing at Electric Picnic. The anticipation was electric for about an hour beforehand, and blasted off when they came on and throughout.

Joanna Newsom last year in Olympia. Brought my sister...who was awestruck!

Radiohead all those Point Depot gigs.They kind of blur into one, but I had "BEST GIG EVER" vibes after each one. 5000 people moaning along to Street Spirit has to be experienced by everyone once. Even the haters!

All these Amazing PJ Harvey Olympia gigs...which also gave me "BEST EVER GIG" for days afterwards. Then she just stopped playing here. Boo PJ, boo.

Fleet Foxes in Vicar St. I know most of you don't get it, but supreme vocals and incredible musicians. When they covered Two Headed Boy by NMH and I almost fell over but just lost my house keys instead. Had to come back an hour later. Some kind soul handed them in.

The Neutral Milk Hotel reunion gig in Vicar St. Jaysus. Who cares if it was full of hipsters. I was there with a friend, who normally a quiet one, screamed silently at the intro to every track.

Leonard Cohen first night in Kilmainham. Possibly the most spiritual moment of my life.

Ah gigs.

Finding it hard to think right now, but....

Sparklehorse in Whelans - hands down. The greatest hits gig where everyone sang along to everything. Shortly before he passed on.

Nick Cave in SFX in the 80s I think. The Good Son tour I think. Prowling the stage pointing his finger at us. Hamming it up almost Elvis cabaret style but full on. All of us drenched from the minor slam dancing. He was in a bit of a mood cause Ferghal from Whipping Boy wrecked his fave microphone stand earlier.

Arcade Fire first outing at Electric Picnic. The anticipation was electric for about an hour beforehand, and blasted off when they came on and throughout.

Joanna Newsom last year in Olympia. Brought my sister...who was awestruck!

Radiohead all those Point Depot gigs.They kind of blur into one, but I had "BEST GIG EVER" vibes after each one. 5000 people moaning along to Street Spirit has to be experienced by everyone once. Even the haters!

All these Amazing PJ Harvey Olympia gigs...which also gave me "BEST EVER GIG" for days afterwards. Then she just stopped playing here. Boo PJ, boo.

Fleet Foxes in Vicar St. I know most of you don't get it, but supreme vocals and incredible musicians. When they covered Two Headed Boy by NMH and I almost fell over but just lost my house keys instead. Had to come back an hour later. Some kind soul handed them in.

The Neutral Milk Hotel reunion gig in Vicar St. Jaysus. Who cares if it was full of hipsters. I was there with a friend, who normally a quiet one, screamed silently at the intro to every track.

Leonard Cohen first night in Kilmainham. Possibly the most spiritual moment of my life.

Ah gigs.
Well jealous of your Nick Cave show, I only saw the Bad Seeds after Abattoir Blues came out. It was grand but I wanted something closer to the Live Seeds album. No sense of menace when you have a gospel backing choir.

I think I was the only person at that Arcade Fire performance who walked away thinking it was a load of bollocks. Took a long time for me to give them another chance, they were fine on record but the live show was a mess (and not a good one).

And totally agreed on Radiohead, Cohen, Newsom and Harvey.

he played 2 shows. I was there the first night and I remember chatting to some americans who'd flown over just for the gig. They were his first live gigs in 5 years up to that point.

Everything about that show was so positive. Every heckle, every bit of crowd interaction - he fed off it all. I remember at one point there was a lad up near the stage singing along with one of the songs. He was slightly out of time and sang one line ahead of Linkous. He stopped playing, glanced across at yer man, and just smiled at him. Lovely moment. Christy Moore could learn a thing or two.

He came back to play that Daniel Johnson and friends night, don't forget. That was a strange one. It was great seeing all those artists in one go, but there was something just a little bit disjointed about the whole thing.

Back to odd happenings at gigs. Another few popped into my mind there.

Belle and Sebastian in the Olympia when Stuart Murdoch stormed off stage after about 40 minutes in a huff. Never came back on either. His relationship with Isobel Campbell had just ended so he was in the horrors. He mentioned that incident when they next played here at the Ambassador. Just joked about it really.

I saw Wire a couple of years back in Whelans where they all left the stage about 10 minutes into the show. I heard they'd had a row before the gig, some stuff was still not sorted so they went off to finish their row, before coming back on to finish the set.

Back when those Maximum Joy shows were on in Kennedys there was a band on called 'They Came from the Stars, I saw them'. Not terribly good. Just 2 in the band, a guy and a girl. I remember him being a good deal older than she was. Not sure if they were an item or anything but they had a blazing row on stage in front of the 5 or 6 people who were at the show. Good sport.

Flaming Lips in Vicar Street. The ones with the lazers and the huge baloons. Steve Droydz had some kind of meltdown on stage and the band had to leave. Whatshis face came back on alone after a while to apologise to the crowd and to tell us they'd come back and play a free gig for us if they couldn't finish. Eventually they came back on and did finish. Good gig too. Enjoyed it more than I ever enjoyed any of their albums.

The Music Tapes in the Workmans. I've spoken of this before on here. Just utterly, utterly bizarre from start to finish. That right @Lili Marlene ?

Full details please.
Well the Music Tapes are an odd band at the best of times, all musical saws and weird instruments. Their live show includes extended storytelling segments and at one point they turn on a tv they have on stage and it "sings" the next song. It'd be irritating if it was in any way an affectation but the lead fella clearly believes very strongly in what he's doing.

static.gif

Anyway, about halfway through the gig he walks to the front of the stage with some bird cages and calls for some volunteers. He gives 3 birdcages to the volunteers and then to the rest of the crowd starts handing out something (i've actually forgotten what, @scutter?) that you had to balance on your palm. He announces that the people with the birdcages are "on" and they have to catch all the other people who have to keep balancing this yoke in their palm or else they're out. If you got caught you give them the thing (was it a light maybe?) and they put it in their birdcage.

So you ended up with 100 eejits running around the room playing chasing. At the end the last person left standing not caught and person with the birdcage with the most amount of lights won t-shirts or vinylS I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back