i know fight like apes and they are sound (1 Viewer)

Pretty much all the factors that militate against a band doing well in 2016 existed in 2006 and indeed before. Whatever leavings Spotify pays etc wasn't even a revenue stream in 2006 and social media (should at any rate) makes it easier than in the past to amass a coherent following.
exactly. Surely the challenge now is to find a way to monetize that following.

Not to piss and moan about it cos its not teh 80s anymore

Snow Patrol are interesting in that they were slogging away at it for years before the moderate success of their first album and it was only album 3 or 4 where they hit the big time at which point they'd been at it a decade. I also wonder to what extent the fact they formed and grew in Scotland had an impact on their future success.

Snow patrol & interesting in the same sentence?????
Let's not forget they "did a cold play" relationship rock, indie rock power ballads whatever you want to call it. I remember a few years ago someone telling me about an Irish band that were building a big following with collage students. I was imagining some cool edgy music and then I got to hear them...it was the coronas. I was so disappointed in the young folk.

Relationship Rock!

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Aww fuck I needed that laugh..have a hero!

Thats the name of my new album

Snow patrol & interesting in the same sentence?????
Let's not forget they "did a cold play" relationship rock, indie rock power ballads whatever you want to call it. I remember a few years ago someone telling me about an Irish band that were building a big following with collage students. I was imagining some cool edgy music and then I got to hear them...it was the coronas. I was so disappointed in the young folk.
College students have terrible taste in everything. Any edge that university might have had has been worn away. They probably all like Steely Dan now.

Go to a college poster sale if you want to disavow yourself of any notion that the average college student is cool/sound/razor/woke.
There was an annual one in Maynooth (I'm sure it's still going) that was very, very sad indeed.

What gets me is that there are loads of intelligent and wonderful undergrads out there but none of them seem to have any sense of adventure. It's a bit depressing, it's not like everyone I went to college with was a mad yoke and we partied every night but it definitely was much more than going to lectures and bingeing on Netflix. Though I haven't come across any safe space/trigger warning stuff either so I suppose it's a compromise I can live with.

Pretty much all the factors that militate against a band doing well in 2016 existed in 2006 and indeed before. Whatever leavings Spotify pays etc wasn't even a revenue stream in 2006 and social media (should at any rate) makes it easier than in the past to amass a coherent following.

I dunno, nowadays everyone listens to and watches the same thing. It has always been there to an extent - what gets big in America filters down to the rest of the West, whether we like it or not, but we always had regional scenes. Bands and popstars who were big in Ireland and the UK but not the US. This doesn't happen anymore, not really. Even back in 2006 we had some bands who could make it locally.

Right now we got a few bands like Le Galaxie and Tvvins who have signed to a major and have a bit of minor exposure based on their live show but it won't last for them unless they get a song big in the charts worldwide (best route is probably getting on the soundtrack to a netflix show for that).

Its all or nothing these days, which is sad. Big worldwide or absolutely nowhere. You're competing with the whole world for less and less space. Gatekeepers are more important than ever aren't they?

I dunno, nowadays everyone listens to and watches the same thing. It has always been there to an extent - what gets big in America filters down to the rest of the West, whether we like it or not, but we always had regional scenes. Bands and popstars who were big in Ireland and the UK but not the US. This doesn't happen anymore, not really. Even back in 2006 we had some bands who could make it locally.

Right now we got a few bands like Le Galaxie and Tvvins who have signed to a major and have a bit of minor exposure based on their live show but it won't last for them unless they get a song big in the charts worldwide (best route is probably getting on the soundtrack to a netflix show for that).

Its all or nothing these days, which is sad. Big worldwide or absolutely nowhere. You're competing with the whole world for less and less space. Gatekeepers are more important than ever aren't they?

I know it is not a popular avenue of argument but the country and Irish scene goes against this trend. I maintain and if I had the money and time, would prove, that the only truly independent scene that has ever thrived on this island was country and Irish. Putting aside for a minute that 99.9% of the output of that scene is shit, local bands play to local audiences, and seem to thrive.

But beyond that scene, I suppose you are right. Republic of Loose are the only Irish band I have been well acquainted with that have hit big time in Ireland and kinda stalled otherwise, and that was before some of the globalisation of which you speak. They built their, at one time huge, following on both solid radio support and excellent and country encompassing live tours.

Is every hometown hero just not good enough to hit 100,000,000 viral views?

that the only truly independent scene that has ever thrived on this island was country and Irish. Putting aside for a minute that 99.9% of the output of that scene is shit, local bands play to local audiences, and seem to thrive.

My aunt is mad into this shit. And then you have the likes of Nathan Carter/Mike Denver luring the younger generations into it.

I know it is not a popular avenue of argument but the country and Irish scene goes against this trend. I maintain and if I had the money and time, would prove, that the only truly independent scene that has ever thrived on this island was country and Irish. Putting aside for a minute that 99.9% of the output of that scene is shit, local bands play to local audiences, and seem to thrive.
Makes sense to me, but it's almost entirely covers isn't it? Bar a few hits now and then they're just playing Wagon Wheel and the like, only a step removed from wedding bands. They're also playing what "the people" want to hear, can't discount that.

But beyond that scene, I suppose you are right. Republic of Loose are the only Irish band I have been well acquainted with that have hit big time in Ireland and kinda stalled otherwise, and that was before some of the globalisation of which you speak. They built their, at one time huge, following on both solid radio support and excellent and country encompassing live tours.

Is every hometown hero just not good enough to hit 100,000,000 viral views?

Just had a look at Anderson's door to door viral video and it's at less than 25 thousand views, i figured it'd be in the millions.

I've heard a few "he has contacts" conspiracy stories about Hozier but was his success mainly based on the Take Me to the Church video taking off? I wonder was there a moment it was "shared" (and who/where this was) that got it to Ellen or whoever who then guaranteed he would have a genuine shot at success.

so was that literally just Caroline Downey getting his music into the hands/ears of the right people?

And of course the song being what the people want. Foolish people.

Someone, maybe on here, told me that one of the majors had their eye on him since he was 15 or 16. I think she is, for some reason, over-emphasising her role in his long worked at success.

Someone, maybe on here, told me that one of the majors had their eye on him since he was 15 or 16. I think she is, for some reason, over-emphasising her role in his long worked at success.
i think the story is she spotted him playing at a school concert?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back